Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:54 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,539,683 times

Advertisements

I totally forgot about this thread.

Wow, has time flown. I started getting into CD when I was searching for info online about CO verse Chicago. Though, I believe everyone is right in CO is soooo much better than Chi-town in the weather department and many scenic departments, my heart is in Chicago at the moment. I long for my friendships and to raise a family where I grew up and being in a community that alot more interactive than where I am now. It's a mix of old and new neighborhoods which I love. I miss the trees and grass and yes, believe it or not, sometimes, I miss humidity. I don't like how dry it is out in desert climates.

But, then again, I could be singin a different tune a year from August this year. You could still have me as your neighbor in CO!! Though I can't live in Denver with their horrible BSL dog restrictions, but maybe in suburbs that don't have those nasty BSLs.

Thanks for the advice here. REally great perspectives from Chi-natives moving to CO. We shall see how it goes. You might be hearing from me again, you never know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 03:32 PM

138 posts, read 598,011 times
I'm also torn between Chicago and CO. At the moment, we are CO bound due to jobs...but I have to wonder that if given a job opportunity in both places whether I would choose the Chicago burbs with the long, cold, dark winters...or Colorado with the dry, brown summers? I love the rain and green plants/flowers/trees, so Chicago wins there, also the Midwest mentality...but also love the casualness of the West and that ability to plan an outdoor event for the weekend and count on sunshine 90% of the time.

I think it's a tough situation if you grew up in the Midwest and loved much about it until you got older and got tired of either A.)the Weather or B.)High Taxes or C.) Long commutes and traffic. Many people move to the West (CO, AZ, NM, CA, etc) and fall in love with the sunshine, relaxed atmosphere, casual workplaces, variety of people and ideas....but somewhere down the road they realize that they long for home, family or feeling of belonging to a community. In our case, I am finding it difficult to give my children the same adventures and opportunities that we had growing up in the burbs...catching fireflies in the summer, walking to schools and parks, living on a street full of kids all around the same age, playing in the backyards, sense of safety and security because you know all your neighbors, etc. and treasuring the summers and sunny days and outdoors because a pleasant day wasn't an everyday occurrence. The sunshine and nice weather in April would bring everyone outdoors and neighbors tending to their yards and chatting with the other neighbors working on their homes and yards..everyone in great moods and commenting about the unusually nice weather. LOL. Of course a few days later it would be back to cold and rainy and dark. But I have lived in AZ for 11 yrs now and can truly say that I MISS the rain. I have talked to other transplants though, that would NEVER move back to the Midwest/Chicago...and I often wonder if maybe I am just crazy.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:15 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,539,683 times
thedfly, nope, your not crazy!!! I promise I have talked to many like you here in the Vegas VAlley saying the same thing how they miss rain, and green foliage. I liked your post and the struggles with the two places. It's the same for me. All of it. You are right, it is very different for someone who was raised in the Midwest or was there for a long period of time. There's something about it that's special. Anyone outside of it doesn't always understnd it. My bf who is from S.Cali who is used to LAIDBACK mentality and did have a nice neighborhood. But, when I introduced him to my world, he was awestruck. He'd never known a place that was so green, so many cool friendly people and educated people. Most of his friends never went to college and aren't doing much in their lives. Everyone I knew had at least a B.A. Now, I'm not saying the rest of the world is uneducated, here people!!! It was just a different mentality.

I have heard CO has had many great neighborhoods and I've also heard how unfriendly it is. I know who will be there when I return to Chicago and I know that I will be in friendly areas. I'm sure the weather will get to me and so will the traffic. But, I think it's worth it right now.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado