Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 08:39 PM

13 posts, read 34,001 times

Advertisements

mmmmm. Good mexican food. It's been a few towns since we had good mexican food. That alone could bring me there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 10:00 AM

55 posts, read 87,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojodad View Post
mmmmm. Good mexican food. It's been a few towns since we had good mexican food. That alone could bring me there.
Yeah, now you are talking my language - FOOD. You can't go wrong with the restaurants in Pueblo. Definitely one of the great things about this town. Lots of mom and pop joints and reasonably priced, comparatively. Southern Colorado is a bit different than what most people would consider traditional Mexican, however there is a variety of styles in town. Green chile is king here. For the red chile, you can't beat Taos/Santa Fe (3hrs/4hrs, respectively) but a couple of places can hold their own. a few decent Italian restaurants, several ok sushi joints, Indian that competes with any in Denver and even a Cajun place that's dang tasty - not Gulf Coast tasty, but the oyster po' boy will work in a pinch. No really good seafood though and I have yet to find a Chinese place that isn't just average. If you cook, fresh summer produce out at the farms (we'll see this year - drought) and 2 decent meat markets for hand cuts. 3 Italian delis, excellent wine and cheese shops, even a place that sells fancy herbs and vinegars. The bar food (my personal favorite) is about the same as anywhere else, lots of joints for a decent burger. For the population, this town kills it on the dining department. Even if you end up in Canon, it's worth coming into town to shop and eat lunch.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:04 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
I called Martinez Cafe today to get some takeout. It was 1:30 and the gal said they were closed. I responded with "Why? With my work hours Tuesday is the only day I can get into town and order for lunch and she told me try Friday. I said, "I'm at work Friday. The only days that work for me are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday."

Then she hung up on me. I called back and I heard "click".

That's it. Martinez Cafe is hanging up on their customers. Nice.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:39 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
The metal bars over the door concern me about the neighborhood, but I've found that I have a fondness for Pueblo.

I went over the article, and it was fairly good. Was it a sales pitch? Sure, he's defending his decision to move there. If people here the list of reasons I like Colorado Springs their eyes start to go wide, but I did an enormous amount of research and found a place that fit me very well.

I do think that much of his analysis is spot on. I believe that these mountain towns will grow as people can work online. That shift will lead to people picking places to live with more emphasis on weather/taxes and less "Can I find a job there?". The points he brings up are excellent. When I first went through Pueblo, we went through the worst parts of the city and then left. It gave me a worse impression of the city. If I had only seen the poor parts of the Springs, it wouldn't have made me want to move here.

Companies paying lower wages online will contribute to people putting "cost of living" as a major factor since the salary won't change much based on their location. This is good economics, it means labor will be supplied in the most effective manner. It's unfortunate working from home has been so slow to catch on.

His analysis did leave something to be desired when he compared traffic to Denver and Co Springs in the same sentence. Most people living in either town (or at least in the Springs) will know that the Springs traffic is vastly lighter than Denver.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:05 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
The problem with the traffic in Colorado Springs is lack of highways, especially east - west highways. That makes it hard to get around the city and why I can see why he would compare the traffic in Denver and Colorado Springs versus Pueblo.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,494 times
Smile Thanks for info on Pueblo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffitude View Post
My husband and I have been here just shy of three weeks now, having chosen and moved into the Mesa Junction area of Pueblo. I read the article and although can't speak to a number of points (not at all interested in sports or schools), I will agree that the traffic is a dream compared to phoenix. People have been much friendlier than we are used to - and courteous. We love that a great deal of the businesses are privately owned and not part of the big conglomerates. Though there is still Wal-mart, Target, Home Depot, Sam's Club, etc (but no Costco).
Sounds like a possible place for my retirement. On a fixed income and need lower cost of living. I enjoy the convenience of a big city, been in Phoenix for most of 30 years but have left several time only to return ... can't find what I'm looking for :-( but Pueblo sounds like it might fit my needs. I'm with you on supporting the private business owners, but also like having the big box stores available too. Would like to hear from you in the future as you settle in and learn more about the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado