U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2007, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,509 posts, read 11,251,668 times
Reputation: 8393

Advertisements

I'm also an independent, though I lean slightly toward the democratic viewpoint on some issues. However, I'm not too excited about ANY of the democratic presidential candidates. IMO, Dennis Kuchinich is the best of the lot, but I like Ron Paul better.

blessings...Franco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2007, 01:12 PM
 
636 posts, read 1,562,829 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
I'm also an independent, though I lean slightly toward the democratic viewpoint on some issues. However, I'm not too excited about ANY of the democratic presidential candidates. IMO, Dennis Kuchinich is the best of the lot, but I like Ron Paul better.

blessings...Franco
Actually Kucinich is the best man running. I donated to Edwards because to me he is both acceptable and electable. Kucinich is too smart and honest to ever actually get elected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 01:13 PM
 
636 posts, read 1,562,829 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm not one for pigeonholing into either Democrat/liberal or Republican/conservative -- it almost assumes that one has no independent thought and follows all the ideas/agendas of that particular party/viewpoint blindly. On most issues I'm liberal, on some I'm conservative. If I had to pick blindly (without evaluating specific issues/candidates), I'd go Democratic. I identify with more (but not all) of the Democratic/liberal ideas, and not with (almost) any of the Republican party's actions or agendas.

Thankfully, I live in what maybe one of those rare Colorado areas, a Democratic/liberal county. Summit County voted 92% Democratic in the 2004 elections.
Lucky you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Status: "Fall is almost over!" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
69,637 posts, read 59,748,904 times
Reputation: 19962
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
Actually Kucinich is the best man running. I donated to Edwards because to me he is both acceptable and electable. Kucinich is too smart and honest to ever actually get elected.
He got elected in Ohio, several tiems over for different offices. I think the rest of us have as much smarts as the good folks there.

Philosophically, I'm more like Fuzz, which is what I meant on my OP on this forum. If you have ever lived in the big cities of the east and midwest, you know what a "yellow dog" Democrat is. There are a lot of them in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh, according to my bro, has not had a Republican member of its city council since the 1930s, let alone a mayor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 02:11 PM
 
5,748 posts, read 7,244,373 times
Reputation: 4371
I'm an Independent who leans very left on social issues like choice and gay rights; however, when it comes to fiscal policies like Social Security, Medicare/Aid & other entitlement programs, I'm much harder to pigeonhole and open to rational and respectful debate. About the war in Iraq, I'm very much against it, but I also believe that because we've committed, we're obligated to make sure our withdrawal doesn't cause more problems than it solves. As far as the environment, I'm very much a conservationist.

Other issues I take as they come, making sure to listen as much as I talk and trying not to base my assumptions about the argument's validity on my personal feelings about the source. Even Ann Coulter, who I can't stomach, occasionally makes a good point...very occasionally...though they're hard to find because she is generally so nasty and vicious. I feel the same way about Michael Savage and Rush Limbaugh.

I'm thinking of registering this time around, so that I will have a say in the Democratic Primary. Some states allow everyone to vote in a primary election regardless of party affiliation, but I'm not sure that includes Colorado. Does anyone know off hand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Status: "Fall is almost over!" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
69,637 posts, read 59,748,904 times
Reputation: 19962
You have to be registered with a political party to vote in the primary. Historically, primaries in Colorado have not been very "important" in choosing candidates (note quotes, please). The parties have caucuses where they choose the candidates for the primary, these are considered politcally more important. I have never attended a caucus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,509 posts, read 11,251,668 times
Reputation: 8393
MorningGlory wrote:
Actually Kucinich is the best man running. I donated to Edwards because to me he is both acceptable and electable. Kucinich is too smart and honest to ever actually get elected.
I think you speak the truth about Edwards. If he is the democratic nominee, I would certainly vote for him over any of the republican candidates except for Ron Paul who is not a real republican anyway. A snowball in hell stands a better chance of becoming the republican nominee than Ron Paul.

blessings...Franco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 02:30 PM
 
5,748 posts, read 7,244,373 times
Reputation: 4371
Franco...I'm not a Ron Paul fan, but he certainly does seem to have a devoted following on web. You say he's not a true Republican. I think he's the closest thing they've got to a real Republican, a traditional conservative, not a neocon. How would you describe him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 03:02 PM
 
636 posts, read 1,562,829 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I'm an Independent who leans very left on social issues like choice and gay rights; however, when it comes to fiscal policies like Social Security, Medicare/Aid & other entitlement programs, I'm much harder to pigeonhole and open to rational and respectful debate. About the war in Iraq, I'm very much against it, but I also believe that because we've committed, we're obligated to make sure our withdrawal doesn't cause more problems than it solves. As far as the environment, I'm very much a conservationist.

Other issues I take as they come, making sure to listen as much as I talk and trying not to base my assumptions about the argument's validity on my personal feelings about the source. Even Ann Coulter, who I can't stomach, occasionally makes a good point...very occasionally...though they're hard to find because she is generally so nasty and vicious. I feel the same way about Michael Savage and Rush Limbaugh.

I'm thinking of registering this time around, so that I will have a say in the Democratic Primary. Some states allow everyone to vote in a primary election regardless of party affiliation, but I'm not sure that includes Colorado. Does anyone know off hand?
I'm pretty sure in CO you need to be registered Dem to vote in the primaries. I am Independent right now (for privacy's sake) but have strongly considered re-registering myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2007, 03:04 PM
 
636 posts, read 1,562,829 times
Reputation: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
MorningGlory wrote:
Actually Kucinich is the best man running. I donated to Edwards because to me he is both acceptable and electable. Kucinich is too smart and honest to ever actually get elected.
I think you speak the truth about Edwards. If he is the democratic nominee, I would certainly vote for him over any of the republican candidates except for Ron Paul who is not a real republican anyway. A snowball in hell stands a better chance of becoming the republican nominee than Ron Paul.

blessings...Franco
No kidding. You think there is bickering in congress now, I can't imagine what would happen if the Rs and the Ds were all against the president. What a headache! Nothing would ever get done! Not suggesting that much is getting done now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:03 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top