U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 03:36 PM

11,053 posts, read 12,403,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Jim, that looks like a Blue Heron in the last pic....nice set of pix....glad the bears didn't eat you....
It is. They're everyplace around here. No bears, no deer. A bagillion mosquitoes though. Will take that same trail in fall and winter will be fun to see the changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 06:19 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,838,766 times
Looks like a great trail Jim! Where is the trailhead?

Old 07-16-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Looks like a great trail Jim! Where is the trailhead?
Dallas Creek. The southern most of the three Ridgway State Parks. Drive south to the end by the bridge over the river and walk across the bridge to the end, follow the trail. BRING MOSQUITO REPELLENT!

Old 07-19-2013, 07:12 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,295,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
What's present in my new locale? Lower population, less "Californication," no drug "legalization," no State Legislature run amok and completely dominated by metropolitan interests, more interest in preserving agriculture, among numerous other things.

A side note: another friend of mine, who has been familiar with the Colorado Legislature and state government for his whole working career, called the 2013 Colorado Legislative session the most completely dysfunctional, contentious, and non-productive legislative session in probably a century. He, a multi-generational Coloradan, says that he has become ashamed to say that he is a Coloradan. "We are now the laughing stock of the country for our legislative stupidity and ignorance of basic law," he said to me. I agree. As he put it even more impolitely, the inmates are running the asylum, and the sane people are figuring out ways to get out. I already have.
This is a silly exaggeration at best. People in just about every state who are disappointed that their state legislature passed laws they opposed or failed to pass laws they wanted always say BS like this.

The truth is, nobody in New York considers the Colorado state legislature a "laughing stock" just like nobody in Colorado thinks the New York state legislature is a "laughing stock". Primarily because nobody in New York pays much, if any, attention to Colorado state politics and vice versa.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:58 AM

^ yeah ok, I have no idea what any of that has to do with my thread but anyway...

Concert in the town park last night. Reggae music. UGH, absolutely awful, I stayed for about a minute. So far we've had "funk" whatever that is, bluegrass and reggae, next week "soul". How about music people actually listen to? It's the WEST not New Jersey, reggae? I want Rock and Roll, I would even tolerate country.

Under a flash flood watch today. The Uncompahgre River is very muddy, but tourists are still tubing and rafting on it. EW. And it's pretty cold too.

Farmer's Market today at the town park so I'll wander over there later.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:20 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,423,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
^ yeah ok, I have no idea what any of that has to do with my thread but anyway...

Concert in the town park last night. Reggae music. UGH, absolutely awful, I stayed for about a minute. So far we've had "funk" whatever that is, bluegrass and reggae, next week "soul". How about music people actually listen to? It's the WEST not New Jersey, reggae? I want Rock and Roll, I would even tolerate country.

Under a flash flood watch today. The Uncompahgre River is very muddy, but tourists are still tubing and rafting on it. EW. And it's pretty cold too.

Farmer's Market today at the town park so I'll wander over there later.
Sounds like great music to me! I'm tired of the standard classic rock cover bands. I appreciate a diverse music scene. I know my friend that lives in Ridgway enjoyed herself at the reggae show! Why would you associate reggae with New Jersey?!?!

Anyhow, I digress. Hoping you don't have too much, if any, flooding. Rain is good, but flooding isn't what you want either.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:16 AM

It just seems like something they would be playing on the east coast. Anyway, not my taste at all. I've heard a LOT of people here complain about the styles of music this year and wanting something like rock and roll or something people actually listen to.

Anyway, next week is the last week and it's "soul" which may be blues, and if it is I'll enjoy it. The concert series is moving to Paonia for August. And it gives the unwashed masses something to do on a Thursday night, and it's free. Sure beats watching mosquitoes breed in Delta.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:33 PM

603 posts, read 733,002 times
Great pics, I love that trail. We did it last September no skeeters in sight. It was still pretty warm though. We were camping at Ridgway State Park and the reservoir was pretty low; how is it this year? Last Sept. the designated swim beach was not in the water anymore. Still loved it though :-)

Old 07-20-2013, 09:57 PM

The reservoir is high, but muddy due to the recent storms here. It's always low in the fall due to draw down. Last year it was so low one could almost walk across it.

So, this morning while driving to Delta a woman, a rather LARGE woman, wearing this cute blue sun dress passed me...riding a motorcycle. Ah, tourist season.

Managed to get into Delta just as a parade started, so took a creative detour, then spent the day in 300 degree heat and 200% humidity doing yard work at a relatives place. Had lunch at RJ's in Cedaredge, best burgers anywhere. Many of you may not know a weed we call goatheads here, if you don't know these weeds, you're lucky. Heck gloves don't even help when pulling those. My hands look like they've been through a meat grinder.

Olathe Sweet sweet corn is here! I have a case from my usual source and am putting them in the freezer tomorrow. Nothing like Olathe Sweet sweet corn in the dead of winter on the grill!

Very nice dry and cool evening here in Ridgway, the full moon over the San Juans and reflecting off the Uncompahgre River (muddy as it is) is very cool. It's extremely quiet too, for a Saturday night. Hardly any traffic and no one seems to be in town.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:41 AM

603 posts, read 733,002 times
On man RJ's! Best burger I ever had was from there. Good to hear that the Olathe corn will be heading this way soon, the Florida sweet corn does not cut it. I never thought about freezing them though! Do you shuck them first?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or