Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 04:42 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
They need to do something with Hwy 24 from Limon to COLO SPGS too. Damned road is a death trap, we've a thread about it....
Are they doing any planning on that highway? Granted I don't pay attention to Highway 24 but I have not heard of any plans on the local news or paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 05:04 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,636 times
Wink So-called "improvements"

With due respect to whomever dreamed this up—it is a bad idea.

There are other such schemes in the works, such as NAFTA truck corridors ramrodded through a lot of somebodies backyards, with not only a full contingent of a lot more traffic but also a lot of Mexican trucks and drivers that could never get licensed by US standards, but nevertheless now allowed. Or, with pipelines, such as the Keystone XL. They will not even allow the press to freely cover that having occurred in Arkansas with the spill of this tar sand crude flowing across suburban neighborhoods. But now of course a huge pipeline of it likely sanctioned across the the center of this country.

In all fairness, I might not have been entirely thrilled with the extent of railroads built in the 19th century, if around to complain about it. Nor possibly all the ramifications of the interstate system built from the 1950's on. That can remain academic.

But I WILL say that some will not be satisfied until this nation is as overpopulated as India, and as poor. Whether it is water, roads, what have you, the simplest solution is invariably the one most choose to overlook: population. Particularly in a state such as Colorado, a very good question that might have been asked some time ago: just how much is enough or preferable?

And, while at it, per US 287, just how far do they intend to extend these "improvements?" Port to plains and maybe into Canada? In taking the liberty for speaking for the good citizens of Wyoming, I'm willing to contend that places such as Dubois, WY are perfectly fine as is and certainly would in no way be "improved" by having a four-lane expressway through their home.

The same goes for many another fair place, a good many in Colorado.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:46 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
There is a straightforward solution to America's transportation problems--and it is NOT more highway expansion. The solution is simple: force the users of highways to pay the real costs of using those roads, instead of hiding those costs in other taxes, fees, etc. that are not even related to transportation. If, for example, the cost of building and maintaining roads amounts to an additional $3.00 per gallon fuel tax, then impose that on highway fuel and cut other non-road-related taxes by a corresponding amount. What would happen? The playing field for competing modes of transportation to highways would be leveled and a huge amount of traffic--especially heavy truck traffic, which is subsidized indirectly by both automobile drivers and the general taxpaying public--would be diverted to competing modes of transportation--primarily rail. That would not cost the government a dime, and would largely eliminate the need for highway expansion, especially outside of metro areas. Of course, it probably won't happen because it seems that straightforward, cost-effective solutions to problems are not popular with either pork-barrel politicians nor with a brainwashed, ignorant, apathetic, and easily-manipulated American public.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:03 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Can you cite a source that have you the 3 dollars a gallon tax hike? While I agree we need a gas tax hike to pay everything I have never read anything that says 3 dollars a gallon.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:19 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Can you cite a source that have you the 3 dollars a gallon tax hike? While I agree we need a gas tax hike to pay everything I have never read anything that says 3 dollars a gallon.
I no longer have a citation. It was quoted a few years ago from an economist at a government-sponsored tax-reform seminar that I attended.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
They need to do something with Hwy 24 from Limon to COLO SPGS too. Damned road is a death trap, we've a thread about it....
Back 20 yrs ago, there was an opportunity to purchase the rail ROW and Government clearly stated: Highway 24 would never need expansion.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:46 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ports to Plains View Post
Back 20 yrs ago, there was an opportunity to purchase the rail ROW and Government clearly stated: Highway 24 would never need expansion.
We have met the enemy and he is us.....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:22 PM

78 posts, read 197,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
With due respect to whomever dreamed this up—it is a bad idea.

There are other such schemes in the works, such as NAFTA truck corridors ramrodded through a lot of somebodies backyards, with not only a full contingent of a lot more traffic but also a lot of Mexican trucks and drivers that could never get licensed by US standards, but nevertheless now allowed. Or, with pipelines, such as the Keystone XL. They will not even allow the press to freely cover that having occurred in Arkansas with the spill of this tar sand crude flowing across suburban neighborhoods. But now of course a huge pipeline of it likely sanctioned across the the center of this country.

In all fairness, I might not have been entirely thrilled with the extent of railroads built in the 19th century, if around to complain about it. Nor possibly all the ramifications of the interstate system built from the 1950's on. That can remain academic.

But I WILL say that some will not be satisfied until this nation is as overpopulated as India, and as poor. Whether it is water, roads, what have you, the simplest solution is invariably the one most choose to overlook: population. Particularly in a state such as Colorado, a very good question that might have been asked some time ago: just how much is enough or preferable?

And, while at it, per US 287, just how far do they intend to extend these "improvements?" Port to plains and maybe into Canada? In taking the liberty for speaking for the good citizens of Wyoming, I'm willing to contend that places such as Dubois, WY are perfectly fine as is and certainly would in no way be "improved" by having a four-lane expressway through their home.

The same goes for many another fair place, a good many in Colorado.
If they built it to Canada they wouldn't build it through Wyoming. it would go through North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. i'm pretty sure Scottsbluff would like an Interstate. I saw the plan where in went from Canada all the way to Laredo, TX. I'm sure San Angelo, TX would like an Interstate too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado