U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 03:27 PM

6 posts, read 8,156 times

Advertisements

My family used to go to Oklahoma via US 287 from I-70 in Limon to the Oklahoma Panhandle and I have read at times about the Ports To Plains transportation study or whatever it is. I read somewhere that US 287 would be widened from its current two lane state to a four lane divided highway in the future. That would be a great way to not only go to Oklahoma but Texas because I-35 is just nuts.

How is it going and any word on how it is going? I haven't used that road in many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 03:39 PM

6,522 posts, read 10,191,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASH79 View Post
My family used to go to Oklahoma via US 287 from I-70 in Limon to the Oklahoma Panhandle and I have read at times about the Ports To Plains transportation study or whatever it is. I read somewhere that US 287 would be widened from its current two lane state to a four lane divided highway in the future. That would be a great way to not only go to Oklahoma but Texas because I-35 is just nuts.

How is it going and any word on how it is going? I haven't used that road in many years.
There isn't much being done on the Ports-to-Plains corridor in CO. A truck bypass around Boise City is the only notable construction in OK. A majority of the work has been done further north in South Dakota and Nebraska.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:37 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
So far nothing has been done and in my opinion that is not good. They really need to make it a 4 lane interstate along with highway 50 as it would really help the state economically. I mean most of the larger states have more then 2 interstates so there is no reason Colorado should not either.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:05 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,777,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
They really need to make it a 4 lane interstate along with highway 50 as it would really help the state economically.
That will never happen. Get over it. First, rebuilding US50 to Interstate standards would cost more in inflation-adjusted dollars than the construction of I-70 across Colorado--and I-70 was one of the most astronomically expensive highway projects in per-mile costs ever attempted in the United States. And it is now slowly falling apart because of deferred maintenance.

In case you haven't noticed, there isn't even enough money around to maintain our present highway infrastructure, much less build more of it with additional endless maintenance costs. That is the current situation, without even taking into account that most lucid projections of federal spending and available revenues show quite clearly that the milieu of federal entitlements, transfer payments, and welfare state expansion already in the pipeline will literally eat up the entire non-military budget within just a few years. There simply will be no money for any more grandiose highway projects, and no budget to maintain them if they are built. The days of big highway building are essentially over--as well they should be. Right now, the private railroads are doing a very good job of increasingly diverting truck-borne freight off of the US highway system. If that trend continues, the need for more highway capacity will largely evaporate.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:41 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
From Raton, NM to Dallas TX on US 87 and 287, except for a few miles it is pretty much 4 lane all the way now, so that makes it a reasonable alternative.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,095 times
Thanks for the great question... Ports-to-Plains in Colorado completed the first of four stages in Colorado with the upgrade from the old narrow two lane US 40/287 from Limon to the Oklahoma border. The Phase I was an upgrade with what is called a concrete Super 2. Super two includes passing lanes and wider lanes and shoulders. Along that that Highway 40/287 project is a planned reliever route designed to route the truck traffic around the City of Lamar. That project is currently in the application phase for what is called RAMP funding from Colorado DOT. The project made it through the pre-application phase and looked like decisions will be made this summer. Phase II would be the same type of improvements on Colorado 71 north of Limon, through Brush, ultimately connecting to existing four lane divided highway at Kimball, NE. This stage is designed to encourage trucks moving through Colorado to avoid the congestion on Interstate 25. Stages III and IV would be the upgrades to both Phases I and II respectively to four lane. The additional two lanes can be added without as much interruption of the existing traffic flow.

In Oklahoma, the reliever was finished and Oklahoma is making the same type of super 2 improvements, but has also purchased the four lane Right of Way and moved all the utilities north towards Colorado... about 12 miles or half the distance has been completed. Texas is four lane or better from Strattford, TX to Big Spring TX... Current Projects in TX are making another $230 million in improvements which will finish the four lane from Raton, NM to connect to the four lane in Dumas, TX. This amount is also making improvement south of Big Spring, including a reliever route at Big Spring. These improvements include the Midland/Odessa area, San Angelo, Sonora and south to Del Rio, Eagle Pass and Laredo. All of New Mexico's four lane was completed last year.

For the latest information see Ports To Plains - Home and/or Official Blog for PTP Alliance - Ports-to-Plains Blog.

Hope this is helpful

Old 05-08-2013, 08:39 AM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
When our leaders wake up and realize that the federal gasoline tax is not indexed for inflation, hasn't been raised in 20 years, and has lost 1/3 of its buying power since 1993, then maybe they'll raise the gasoline tax and index it for inflation so that we CAN have the highways and rail mass transit we need to be a first-world nation and a global economic powerhouse.

End of rant.

Meanwhile, I've no doubt it will happen, in time. I wish it were a rail solution, but I'll take second best, i.e., another highway.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:52 AM

6 posts, read 8,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
When our leaders wake up and realize that the federal gasoline tax is not indexed for inflation, hasn't been raised in 20 years, and has lost 1/3 of its buying power since 1993, then maybe they'll raise the gasoline tax and index it for inflation so that we CAN have the highways and rail mass transit we need to be a first-world nation and a global economic powerhouse.

End of rant.

Meanwhile, I've no doubt it will happen, in time. I wish it were a rail solution, but I'll take second best, i.e., another highway.
I'm for raising the federal gasoline tax for more better highways. I'm thinking that four lane highways are no longer sufficent these days since cars are now driving like NASCAR drivers at superspeedways such as Daytona and Talledega. Having US 287 as a divided highway would help take some trucks off I-25 which is becoming more congested. While at it, they should widen I-25 from the south end of Castle Rock to Mounment. Same goes for the north end of Longmont to Wellington.

As for rail in Colorado, the FasTracks project just opened its first light rail line in Lakewood and now all eyes are on the eventual opening of the East line which will connect downtown Denver to Denver International Airport. I'm curious to see how many cars are taken off of I-70 and Pena Blvd.

FasTracks website: www.rtd-fastracks.com

Old 05-08-2013, 04:24 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

End of rant.

I agree with you. I think it will happen its a matter of "when" not "if".

Old 05-08-2013, 04:33 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
They need to do something with Hwy 24 from Limon to COLO SPGS too. Damned road is a death trap, we've a thread about it....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado