U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 10:31 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,939,017 times

Advertisements

It's a shame we didn't have a better version of 64 to pass, and a shame that this limit came out without a popular vote. I despise impaired driving. I'd like the first offense to result in taking the license and a lifetime requirement of having a breathalizer installed in their car. However, it is much harder to have respect for the law when stupid laws are made. Those that are drunk and severely impaired are not comparable to those that got high a few days ago and are functioning perfectly today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 06:10 AM

493 posts, read 702,415 times
Is there any chance of another citizen initiative to override the poor legislation outcome from A64, thus preventing long, expensive court battles and loss of respect for law enforcement (legislators have already lost respect)?

Old 05-11-2013, 07:45 AM

86,904 posts, read 102,364,631 times
I don't know the science behind the 5mg limit, and I don't know that much about marijuana period, but in the "olden days", there were no limits on alcohol either, it was left up to the police' discretion and it didn't work out too well. I think there has to be something objective.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:32 AM

34,991 posts, read 32,005,898 times
1968 was the first official DUI law. It has since been cut in half and "personally" I think the current level is extremely low with no discretion of the Officer. It affects everyone different.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:17 AM

11,681 posts, read 7,225,277 times
A cop who suspects a stop is under the influence of MJ should perhaps try a test directed at stoners, like they have the "walk a line" and "touch your nose" and backwards ABC's for drunk people. So offer them a Twinkie (or non-Hostess equivalent) and see what happens. Or show them on a portable DVD player a clip from Monty Python. Perhaps tell them a bad knock-knock joke. If the subject stares and blinks in perplexity and confusion, or says, "Excuse me, officer?" they are probably sober. If they devour the Twinkie and then giggle hysterically (while trying not to) at the joke or the clip...you've got a stoned person on your hands...

(^Insert tone of light-hearted snark. Please do not take too seriously.)

But in seriousness, this is probably the ONLY real issue I ever had with legalizing (which I generally support)...how do you really tell if someone is too impaired and shouldn't be driving? Is there even a realistic way to do this??

Old 05-19-2013, 05:46 PM

55 posts, read 71,809 times
Iris scans, maybe in the near future. Biometric science is capable of quantifying an intoxication level based on contraction and dilatation of the pupil. Problem: They need you sober first to compare pupilogram curve ratios (for now, until they build a big statistical database). No worries though, Homeland Security probably already has your (and mine) Bio data stashed away in a secret underground facility. The models out now can scan your retina from 6 feet away, without you even knowing it. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING!

I got most of this information off the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or