U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 06:18 PM

16,514 posts, read 20,931,210 times

Advertisements

Fruita hit 103 today, 101 yesterday. Look for 100 plus temps for the next two days.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:47 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,849,592 times
103 was the official high in Grand Junction today. Even the thermometer under the porch roof on the north side of the house that never gets direct sunlight was sitting at 103 degrees around 4 PM today. The local weather gurus anticipate 2 more days of triple digit highs, then a cooldown to the upper and mid 90s after that. Ya know it's hot when 95 is considered to be a cooldown!

Old 06-28-2013, 08:09 PM

11,067 posts, read 12,423,360 times
90 degrees at 8 pm in Ridgway. Don't like it.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:17 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,026,414 times
Wink Speaking of hot

For high temperatures, check out Death Valley, CA. The forecasted high there Saturday is 128º, with a low of 96º. Zero chance of precipitation, and the high the next day one degree higher at 129º F. But that will not match—at least not yet—the record high of 134º set on July 10, 1913.

El Azizia, Libya was thought until recently to hold the world record high temperature set on September 13, 1922, of 136º. That has since been discounted and considered an inaccurate reading. So Furnace Creek in Death Valley holds the world record high temperature.

Meanwhile, the expected high in Breckenridge, CO Saturday is a moderate 71º, with a low of 45º. And a 50% chance of rain.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:21 AM

12,175 posts, read 20,977,124 times
Unofficially Pueblo hit 105 yesterday making it the 5th day in a row that Pueblo was over 100. However that streak will come to end as a cooling trend starts today. In fact next week the highs on some days will only be in the 80's. While I love the heat I am ready for a break before the next heat wave begins. The other good news is we finally had some rain and more is in the forecast.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:30 AM

21 posts, read 51,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Unofficially Pueblo hit 105 yesterday making it the 5th day in a row that Pueblo was over 100. However that streak will come to end as a cooling trend starts today. In fact next week the highs on some days will only be in the 80's. While I love the heat I am ready for a break before the next heat wave begins. The other good news is we finally had some rain and more is in the forecast.
^ Well, the official high temperature (per the National Weather Service) in Pueblo yesterday was 98, not your "unofficial" high of 105. And your claim of "5 days in a row that Pueblo was over 100" is also wrong -- only one of those five days was over 100 degrees, per the NWS. In fact, every time you report the daily high temp for Pueblo, it is way off base. What's so difficult about going to the NWS site and get the actual high temperature to report? I suspect that the "unofficial" high temps that you've been reporting are coming from your vehicle's outdoor temperature sensor -- those sensors are notoriously unreliable. If you're going to continue to give everyone in the state a daily weather report for Pueblo, the least you can do is to report official, factual information issued by the National Weather Service.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:10 PM

12,175 posts, read 20,977,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker49 View Post
^ Well, the official high temperature (per the National Weather Service) in Pueblo yesterday was 98, not your "unofficial" high of 105. And your claim of "5 days in a row that Pueblo was over 100" is also wrong -- only one of those five days was over 100 degrees, per the NWS. In fact, every time you report the daily high temp for Pueblo, it is way off base. What's so difficult about going to the NWS site and get the actual high temperature to report? I suspect that the "unofficial" high temps that you've been reporting are coming from your vehicle's outdoor temperature sensor -- those sensors are notoriously unreliable. If you're going to continue to give everyone in the state a daily weather report for Pueblo, the least you can do is to report official, factual information issued by the National Weather Service.
In Pueblo the official reading is taken at the airport 5 miles east of town out of the urban heat island. Also, they take the reading under shade over sand. I don't know about you but I don't live my life in shade over dirt. That is why I take my unofficial reading from the city where I live and I have found the variance is such that I consider my reading to be accurate. That being said I always post that its the unofficial reading as not to mislead anyone.

Last edited by Josseppie; 06-29-2013 at 12:33 PM..

Old 06-29-2013, 01:43 PM

jim9251 wrote: 90 degrees at 8 pm in Ridgway. Don't like it.

That is kinda hot, but nothing to write home about. Take a look at this forecast for a different perspective.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:45 PM

josseppie wrote: While I love the heat I am ready for a break before the next heat wave begins.

Ya know it's hot when a heat monger like Josseppie is ready for a break.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:28 PM

21 posts, read 51,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
In Pueblo the official reading is taken at the airport 5 miles east of town out of the urban heat island. Also, they take the reading under shade over sand. I don't know about you but I don't live my life in shade over dirt. That is why I take my unofficial reading from the city where I live and I have found the variance is such that I consider my reading to be accurate. That being said I always post that its the unofficial reading as not to mislead anyone.
^ No, "your readings" are not accurate. Not even close. Unless you have NWS-approved equipment, you are not reporting accurate information. I realize that the NWS station for Pueblo is located at the airport, but there is not much difference in the temps there vs. downtown (especially daytime temps). An organization called Wunderground.com supplements the National Weather Service with weather stations located all over a given metro area. They are furnished equipment approved by the NWS to record daily weather data. You are so cockeyed sure that the high temp in downtown Pueblo is much higher than at the airport, but official data does not support that contention. I checked the data reported by the Wunderground station operator located in downtown Pueblo, and it is very close to that reported by the NWS at the airport -- varying by only a degree or two either way (in some cases, the high at the airport has been higher than downtown Pueblo). Check it out here: Weather History for Weather Station KCOPUEBL1 | Weather Underground

"Your readings" greatly conflict with the readings taken by both the National Weather Service and the Wunderground station located in downtown Pueblo. For example, you stated that the high in Pueblo yesterday was 105 (presumably in downtown Pueblo where you live or work). Well, the official high at the NWS station at the airport was 98.5, and the official high reported by Wunderground in downtown Pueblo was 99.2. Also, you stated that yesterday was "the 5th day in a row that Pueblo was over 100" -- another statement not supported by fact. Both the NWS at the airport and the Wunderground station in downtown Pueblo recorded high temps of 100 or higher only one day out of the past five. Moreover, both the NWS and the Wunderground station in downtown Pueblo have recorded official high temps of over 100 degrees only 3 times this entire month. According to you, well over half the days this month have been over 100. Why is it that you like to exaggerate our daily highs? Trust me, you're not doing our city any favors by inflating the numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado