U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 02:41 PM

12,175 posts, read 20,977,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker49 View Post
^ No, "your readings" are not accurate. Not even close. Unless you have NWS-approved equipment, you are not reporting accurate information. I realize that the NWS station for Pueblo is located at the airport, but there is not much difference in the temps there vs. downtown (especially daytime temps). An organization called Wunderground.com supplements the National Weather Service with weather stations located all over a given metro area. They are furnished equipment approved by the NWS to record daily weather data. You are so cockeyed sure that the high temp in downtown Pueblo is much higher than at the airport, but official data does not support that contention. I checked the data reported by the Wunderground station operator located in downtown Pueblo, and it is very close to that reported by the NWS at the airport -- varying by only a degree or two either way (in some cases, the high at the airport has been higher than downtown Pueblo). Check it out here: Weather History for Weather Station KCOPUEBL1 | Weather Underground

"Your readings" greatly conflict with the readings taken by both the National Weather Service and the Wunderground station located in downtown Pueblo. For example, you stated that the high in Pueblo yesterday was 105 (presumably in downtown Pueblo where you live or work). Well, the official high at the NWS station at the airport was 98.5, and the official high reported by Wunderground in downtown Pueblo was 99.2. Also, you stated that yesterday was "the 5th day in a row that Pueblo was over 100" -- another statement not supported by fact. Both the NWS at the airport and the Wunderground station in downtown Pueblo recorded high temps of 100 or higher only one day out of the past five. Moreover, both the NWS and the Wunderground station in downtown Pueblo have recorded official high temps of over 100 degrees only 3 times this entire month. According to you, well over half the days this month have been over 100. Why is it that you like to exaggerate our daily highs? Trust me, you're not doing our city any favors by inflating the numbers.
Those are the readings I get and I stand by them as the unofficial high for downtown Pueblo and what I tell everyone here and in real life. Now If you feel they are not accurate that is fine. Just don't read my posts and log on to the NOAA page and get the official high. I have no problem with that!

Now take today as a another example. I usually would not post about it because it has been cooler and this time of year I usually only get excited when its above 100 or when its unseasonably cold with a high only in the 60's. However, the latest temperature from the NWS is 86 but I was showing 91 in downtown with off and on sprinkles which is making it feel more humid.

Last edited by Josseppie; 06-29-2013 at 02:58 PM..

Old 06-29-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
josseppie wrote: While I love the heat I am ready for a break before the next heat wave begins.

Ya know it's hot when a heat monger like Josseppie is ready for a break.
This is true and one reason that while I like the heat could never live in a city like Phoenix or Las Vegas. Plus in the winter I like snow.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:06 PM

4,703 posts, read 4,343,073 times
Since the National Weather Service has decided that Cortez is merely a mirage on the road to Shipwreck, we get no "official" weather reporting for town. If you look up the Cortez weather, it's all unintelligible drivel. Like our current temp is supposed to be 83 degrees. Yeah, right.

So, I extrapolate between the nearest weather stations that the Weather Service deigns to keep going: McElmo Canyon and Canyon of the Ancients. McElmo reports 95 degrees and the Ancients are weighing in with a current temp of 103.5 - a record breaker!

That would roughly come to 99 degrees today in Cortez. BTW, temps here have been about 10 degrees higher than normal for the month of June. I don't know where they come up with this, since Cortez is always listed as "Station Not Reporting." But it's certainly been FEELING very hot.

Temps are expected to remain in the high 90's and 100's with no chance of rain - might get a few lightening strikes - just what we need.

Coming home yesterday, I drove through pinto bean country. What a sorry sight! I know farmers leave some lands lie fallow - but ALL of it at once? Looks like they're getting a good crop of weeds, anyhow. Also noticed a lot of "For Sale" signs, and a pinto storage silo with a notice out front reading "Shut Down Until Further Notice."

Old 06-30-2013, 10:22 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,849,592 times
Ryker49 wrote: ^ Well, the official high temperature (per the National Weather Service) in Pueblo yesterday was 98, not your "unofficial" high of 105. And your claim of "5 days in a row that Pueblo was over 100" is also wrong -- only one of those five days was over 100 degrees, per the NWS. In fact, every time you report the daily high temp for Pueblo, it is way off base. What's so difficult about going to the NWS site and get the actual high temperature to report? I suspect that the "unofficial" high temps that you've been reporting are coming from your vehicle's outdoor temperature sensor -- those sensors are notoriously unreliable. If you're going to continue to give everyone in the state a daily weather report for Pueblo, the least you can do is to report official, factual information issued by the National Weather Service.

My take on the matter is that it's sensible to take the official NWS temperatures with a grain of salt. Actual temperatures can and do vary by several degrees within a few miles. On most days of the year, the temperature on the thermometers at my house vary a few degrees from the official temperature recorded at the Grand Junction airport, just 6 miles from my house, so Jossepies claims seem real enough for me. For the sake of clarity, when I'm posting temperatures, I indicate wether the temp given was official or unoffficial. To Josseppies credit, he did point out that 105 was an unofficial high.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 06-30-2013 at 10:33 AM..

Old 06-30-2013, 11:26 AM

399 posts, read 691,397 times
Too hot to not have air conditioning. That's good enough for me, lol. I was already ready for winter the week it stopped snowing last spring. Driving to work last week I noticed there was barely any snow on the mountains that USUALLY have snow (at least visible from Boulder county). We honestly need more rain this year because it's going to be one long, hot summer.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:11 PM

I agree that we can use more rain.

However, I don't get tired of summer till after the State Fair ends on Labor Day. Then I'm over the heat and ready for fall and winter.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:54 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,661,021 times
The nice afternoon rain shower and thunderstorm was a nice treat at work today. Always nice to get some rain and echoing others comments but we sure need it.

Charlie.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:27 AM

Using the official highs and lows, the mean temperature for the month of June in Grand Junction, was 3.95 degrees ABOVE the long term norm. The average high was 92.1, which is 5.2 degrees ABOVE normal. The average low was 58, which was 2.7 degrees ABOVE normal. June 2013 was a hot one!

Old 07-01-2013, 11:07 AM

16,514 posts, read 20,931,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Using the official highs and lows, the mean temperature for the month of June in Grand Junction, was 3.95 degrees ABOVE the long term norm. The average high was 92.1, which is 5.2 degrees ABOVE normal. The average low was 58, which was 2.7 degrees ABOVE normal. June 2013 was a hot one!

And according to KKCO's 11 newscast this morning, the Grand Junction area had one of the driest Junes on record, coming in with a whopping total for precipitation amount at .003 inches.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:42 PM

Thankfully, I was out of town ( Grand Junction ) for most of the month of June, so I missed the heat and the lack of rain. Twas pleasantly cool in Nevada City-CA where I spent most of June, but it was dry there too, which is normal for this time of the year. The Yuba River was a bit low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado