U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 12:01 PM

2,591 posts, read 5,991,812 times

Advertisements

Manitou Springs cleans up from flash flood; rain in forecast
Quote:
Manitou Springs flooding
Flooding that severely damaged numerous homes and businesses along Canon Avenue was in the cleanup stage Tuesday morning, July 2, 2013, in Manitou Springs.

Residents and business owners in Manitou Springs are digging out and cleaning up after a flash flood Monday night, with isolated heavy rains and the risk of flooding back in the Tuesday forecast.

At least 20 homes and some businesses were damaged Monday when a downpour hammered the Waldo Canyon burn scar in El Paso County. At least eight homes in the area were "significantly damaged," according to the El Paso County Sheriff's Office, and some roads in the area, including U.S. 24, were temporarily shut down by a wash of mud and debris.

There were no injuries. . .

Old 07-07-2013, 11:57 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,849,592 times
Thru July 6th, in Grand Junction, there have been 30 days having an official high temp of 90 degrees or more. For the sake of comparison, here is a list of highs ( 90 or above ) thru 7/6 for the past 7 years:

2006: 33
2007: 23
2008: 23
2009: 11
2010: 26
2011: 14
2012: 29

The summer of 2013, appears to be another hot summer in the making! The mean temperature for first 6 days of July is running 6.33 degrees above the long term norm.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:30 PM

11,067 posts, read 12,423,360 times
It's been in the 90's in Ridgway for weeks now. Very humid muggy. People are cranky and sick of this heat. No one, including me, has air conditioning so it's 81 inside my place. I'm ready for fall.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:39 PM

^^^^78 to 82 has routinely been the daily high inside my house for the past 10 days since the humidity has taken hold. I'm not yet ready for fall, but some dry air sure would be nice. The cloudy humid crap would be OK if it would result in a bit of rain, but that has not been the case. Without the rain, the cloud cover is just a real nuisance IMO. If I wanted cloudy humid summers, I would have stayed in Virginia Beach. To me, 100 degrees with dry air is noticably more comfortable than 88-92 degrees with cloudy skies.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:15 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,802,953 times
Unfortunately, the early arrival of the Southwest Monsoon has been spotty, at best. Some mountain areas have gotten some good (and badly needed) rain, but most lower elevation areas have gotten little more than humidity, with higher than normal temperatures, to boot. Now, it should be noted that the Southwest Monsoon often does not arrive in southern Colorado in earnest until mid-July, so there is still some hope for relief there.

For the northern part of Colorado, though, their best chances of regular rain normally begin to fade after mid-July. Without some significant rain between now and August, the late summer in that part of Colorado could be pretty darned dry and fire-ridden. So, the fire season in southern Colorado may improve considerably in the next couple of weeks, while the northern half of the state gets their "chance" for some bad wildfires.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:06 AM

12,175 posts, read 20,977,124 times
It looks like another heat wave has started in Pueblo as unofficially it was 100 today and it looks like Pueblo will be over 100 for the next 5 days. At least unofficially that is. After the cool weather with highs only in the 80's and 90's I am ready for another heat wave!

Old 07-08-2013, 08:28 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,636,718 times
It has been hot daily here in Durango but the monsoon rains normally cool it down late in the afternoon. Unfortunately, the past few days, there just hasn't been enough moisture coming off the San Juans to generate any rain to cool it down.

Even after a rain, it becomes humid briefly but within an hour, the humidity drops back down. We've been able to keep our non-air conditioned rented condo cool inside by keeping everything closed up during the hottest part of the day until the evening when it cools down a bit. The mornings are delightful with morning lows down in the high 40's/low 50's. yesterday was a hot one though, no breeze at all. It got up to 83 indoors although as an easterner, I will say that it was much more comfortable inside our condo here with practically no humidity than it was back east w/83 inside and 65% RH. A ceiling fan along with a small box fan to move the air around keeps it comfortable inside. A far cry from having to keep the air on for days at a time because the humidity alone is unbearable. Hated those damn $200+ monthly electrical bills when the AC needed to be on for long periods.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:40 AM

12,175 posts, read 20,977,124 times
That would be too hot for me. I keep my house at 72 in the day and 69 when I sleep. And this time of year my central air is on 24/7 and just cycles on and off when needed.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 AM

CosmicWIzard wrote: ^^^^78 to 82 has routinely been the daily high inside my house for the past 10 days since the humidity has taken hold. I'm not yet ready for fall, but some dry air sure would be nice. The cloudy humid crap would be OK if it would result in a bit of rain, but that has not been the case. Without the rain, the cloud cover is just a real nuisance IMO. If I wanted cloudy humid summers, I would have stayed in Virginia Beach. To me, 100 degrees with dry air is noticably more comfortable than 88-92 degrees with cloudy skies.

Shortly after writing the quoted post, we were treated to a nice little storm with thunder, lightning, a short lived heavy downpour, and even a rainbow. The temp also dropped from the high 80s down to 65. That's the lowest temperature I've seen on my home thermometer in the last 10 days. Gotta complain more often!

Old 07-13-2013, 08:10 AM

68 posts, read 148,781 times
Default July and August Rainfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Unfortunately, the early arrival of the Southwest Monsoon has been spotty, at best. Some mountain areas have gotten some good (and badly needed) rain, but most lower elevation areas have gotten little more than humidity, with higher than normal temperatures, to boot. Now, it should be noted that the Southwest Monsoon often does not arrive in southern Colorado in earnest until mid-July, so there is still some hope for relief there.

For the northern part of Colorado, though, their best chances of regular rain normally begin to fade after mid-July. Without some significant rain between now and August, the late summer in that part of Colorado could be pretty darned dry and fire-ridden. So, the fire season in southern Colorado may improve considerably in the next couple of weeks, while the northern half of the state gets their "chance" for some bad wildfires.
Jazz,

I am not sure I follow the part about the summer rains being less probable after mid-july across Northern Colorado? I checked averages all over the top half of the mtn areas from Craig, to Granby, and back around to Vail. It seems August precip is pretty close to July precip, and in some cases August seems to rack up even more. Some towns even record August as being their wettest month all year on average. In our town we seem to do pretty well rain wise in August most years as well.

Does an early "monsoon" mean that it will crap out and shift East more quickly leaving a drier August?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado