U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 02:33 PM

50 posts, read 93,025 times

Advertisements

Got a good steady rainfall with thunder around 12:30pm...Oddly..the storms were moving from east to west..Usually our T-storms move form over the mountains/foothills and move eastward but not in this case

Old 07-15-2013, 05:07 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,959,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Jeez Josseppie, from the way you post it sounds like you're turning your lawn into Pueblo's very own version of the Amazon rain forest. Have any endangered species been found there yet?

My next door neighbor is a transitory migrant from the East Coast. He was telling me tonight that he couldn't even watch the ABQ TV channel because they kept interrupting to give news flashes about the rain they were having. Welcome to the desert Southwest. He wanted to know why rain was such a big deal!

Er, well - you see...

He just doesn't get it, but I'm sure he'll feel better when he goes back home to New Jersey.
I call my yard my little oasis in the dessert.

We did get some rain in Pueblo but I still ran my sprinkler system today.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:14 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,333,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
An unusually strong closed low pressure system from the southern plains will move westward. This weather system brings deep moisture into western Colorado with showers and thunderstorms developing across the region. Areas of heavy rain is likely over the San Juan mountains and the far southwestern Colorado valleys. A Flash Flood Watch has been hoisted for this area where 1.00" inch of rain will be possible in the Watch area. Burn scar areas are especially vulnerable to flash flooding.
Thank you. I have added Mike's Accuweather link to my favorites and retain WeatherUnderground for the amusement factor.

The rain and clouds moved in about noon today and the rain continues. The cooler weather and the RAIN is a nice relief. I'm not so afraid that if I go up into the San Juans in the next few days I'll find a bunch of brown meadows and drooping aspen trees. I'm going to have to put new water proofing on my tent and I'm actually looking foreward to that task.

BTW, why do people who don't care to give their location post weather info on this thread? For all anyone knows, they could be posting from Saudi Arabia.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:30 PM

11,053 posts, read 12,403,387 times
Hwy 145 near Placerville closed due to flooding. Rain in Ridgway. The San Juan's are very green btw.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:56 PM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
The clouds parted today about 4PM, nice cool breeze now, mostly from the south. Lawn is plump and green.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:22 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,333,575 times
Did someone around here just use the "L" word? Where's Josseppi?

Old 07-15-2013, 08:17 PM

68 posts, read 148,656 times
Default water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I call my yard my little oasis in the dessert.

We did get some rain in Pueblo but I still ran my sprinkler system today.
I think we all need to match our backyard to the climate: Minimal dense grasses, more yucca and cactus, drought tolerant annual flowers, etc. Why would you want to use a ton of water in Pueblo when you only get 12 to 13 inches of rainfall each year?

We have tried to stick with prickly pear, scattered grasses, drought tolerant plants, a bit of yucca and cholla as the soil will tolerate, and a few other shrub-like deals where there is the most shade. This whole bluegrass lawn thing with all of the bushes that suck up water makes me nuts, especially if you have to walk past the front of a Lowes in Colorado. I dated a girl in college who tried to pound into me the idea that the high desert isn't Michigan. I finally got it while most people have not............

Old 07-16-2013, 07:32 AM

12,174 posts, read 20,959,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe View Post
I think we all need to match our backyard to the climate: Minimal dense grasses, more yucca and cactus, drought tolerant annual flowers, etc. Why would you want to use a ton of water in Pueblo when you only get 12 to 13 inches of rainfall each year?

We have tried to stick with prickly pear, scattered grasses, drought tolerant plants, a bit of yucca and cholla as the soil will tolerate, and a few other shrub-like deals where there is the most shade. This whole bluegrass lawn thing with all of the bushes that suck up water makes me nuts, especially if you have to walk past the front of a Lowes in Colorado. I dated a girl in college who tried to pound into me the idea that the high desert isn't Michigan. I finally got it while most people have not............
I disagree. I have never been a fan of zero scape. The good thing for me is I live in a town that has more then enough water, even during this drought, that allows me to have the kind of lawn and yard I want. I am not apologetic nor do I feel guilty. In fact I think that is one of the many reasons Pueblo is a great city to live in and I feel lucky to live here.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:49 AM

11,053 posts, read 12,403,387 times
The Uncompahgre is very muddy this morning, and a little higher than yesterday and there's thunderheads building over the San Juans. Another afternoon of rain forecast, which is fine by me. Sunny and 58 degrees in Ridgway, a bit muggy but the cool air feels nice.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:31 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,838,766 times
^^^^^58 would feel delightful indeed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado