U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-17-2013, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Fort Collins, USA
1,477 posts, read 2,371,371 times
Reputation: 1819

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Thanks for posting that, Josseppi! Interesting story. I thought you were watering your lawn just to be contrary. (- but I'm still going to tease you about the Amazon Rainforest )
I prefer the Everglades analogy. Watch out Joss, if you water any more, you might attract alligators from the San Luis Valley gator farm.

 
Old 07-18-2013, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Fort Collins, USA
1,477 posts, read 2,371,371 times
Reputation: 1819
The Fort Collins paper has an interesting article on last weekend's rain in the Denver area. Apparently, it wasn't an enhanced monsoon event but rather a rare case of an extratropical easterly wave. More details:

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20...l-weather-year
 
Old 07-18-2013, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,181 posts, read 21,028,262 times
Reputation: 4259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Thanks for posting that, Josseppi! Interesting story. I thought you were watering your lawn just to be contrary. (- but I'm still going to tease you about the Amazon Rainforest )
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
I prefer the Everglades analogy. Watch out Joss, if you water any more, you might attract alligators from the San Luis Valley gator farm.
My friends tease me all the time telling me they would have the kind of yard I do if they had the Amazon running through their yard too.

As a side note I read in todays paper where water use in Pueblo by the government is down but up for its residents. So it looks like I am not the only one watering a lot this summer.
 
Old 07-18-2013, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,091 posts, read 12,478,899 times
Reputation: 26117
.35" of rain from a thunderstorm last night. The Uncompahgre River is very muddy, kinda looks like the Rio Grande this morning. More storms and rain forecast for this evening.

I've forgotten how LOUD thunder is here echoing off the mountains.
 
Old 07-18-2013, 07:15 PM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,858,967 times
Reputation: 9139
Josseppie's constant bragging about his water use and his stupid-ass yard is very illustrative of Lincoln's admonition, "Better to be quiet and be thought a fool than open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

As to this year's summer Southwest Monsoon, so far, it has not been impressive. As noted, some of the biggest rains in most of southern Colorado have come from an atypical weather event inconsistent with the normal Southwest Monsoon. There is hope that a more "normal" Southwest Monsoonal moisture flow will reach into Colorado next week. Whether that happens or not, most areas of southern Colorado are still way below normal in precipitation for this water season (some well below 50% of normal) and even well below normal for warm-season precipitation. The drought continues, with all the ominous long-term implications that entails. One or two big rains and all the armchair development-happy idiots want to believe that Colorado's ominous water scarcity situation just went away, but it ain't so.
 
Old 07-18-2013, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,091 posts, read 12,478,899 times
Reputation: 26117
Public information statement
national weather service grand junction co
105 pm mdt thu jul 18 2013

the following are preliminary 24 hour precipitation reports from
western colorado and eastern utah, ending around 9 am thursday. The
first value is rainfall or water amounts in snow, and the second
value is snowfall, when appropriate. Amounts are in inches.


Western colorado and eastern utah 24 hour stations:

Meeker, 0.98.
Montrose, 0.18.


Official climate stations of western colorado:

Black canyon national park, 1.92.
2 miles southwest of collbran, 0.10.
6 miles southeast of grand junction, 0.21.
Montrose #2, 0.20.
Ouray, 0.41.
Palisade, 0.75.
1 mile southwest of paonia, 0.21.
2 miles north of paradox, 0.87.
Ridgway, 0.43.
3 miles northeast of rifle, 0.34.
Shoshone, 0.34.
Silverton, 0.55.
 
Old 07-18-2013, 11:15 PM
 
Location: CO/UT/AZ/NM Catch me if you can!
4,743 posts, read 4,373,175 times
Reputation: 10403
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Public information statement
national weather service grand junction co
105 pm mdt thu jul 18 2013

the following are preliminary 24 hour precipitation reports from
western colorado and eastern utah, ending around 9 am thursday. The
first value is rainfall or water amounts in snow, and the second
value is snowfall, when appropriate. Amounts are in inches.


Western colorado and eastern utah 24 hour stations:

Meeker, 0.98.
Montrose, 0.18.


Official climate stations of western colorado:

Black canyon national park, 1.92.
2 miles southwest of collbran, 0.10.
6 miles southeast of grand junction, 0.21.
Montrose #2, 0.20.
Ouray, 0.41.
Palisade, 0.75.
1 mile southwest of paonia, 0.21.
2 miles north of paradox, 0.87.
Ridgway, 0.43.
3 miles northeast of rifle, 0.34.
Shoshone, 0.34.
Silverton, 0.55.
And, as usual, no Cortez - even in the WESTERN Colorado precip reports. I'm beginning to feel that I am just living in some mirage flickering in the subconscious of Colorado like a forgotten dream. Even teensy little Paradox on the Utah border gets a mention, but not us.

Filling in for the Nat'l Weather Service: 10:47 mdt thu jul 18 2013

Cortez (dammit), currently just beginning to get the first precip in 24 hours - wind blowing in from the desert smells like rain. Nice pyrotechnics in the form of lightening bolts and thunder. Oooh good one! That was pretty close just now! Heavy rain probably will last for 20 minutes or so. All rain is deeply appreciated here. Please send MORE!

@jazzlover: Just between you and me, I blame Front Range water boards and local government as much as or more than urban dwellers with bluegrass fetishes (whoops lights flickering - better save this in case the electricity goes).

There's like 3 native/30 year + long time Colorado residents left on the Front Range. The rest of the urban population remains clueless. As long as the water utilities provide them with low cost water for their lawns, they're happy to take it. They look out their front window and see all that green and subconsciously, they're still living in Arlington, VA .

But if they stay here long enough, they'll find out differently. Since bluegrass is so important to them, maybe once they finally discover that they REALLY can no longer have it, they'll pack their bags and move back to Lexington. One can always dream, right?
 
Old 07-19-2013, 06:53 AM
 
16,527 posts, read 20,980,909 times
Reputation: 47980
Interstate 70 has been re-opened this morning. KKCO 11 reported late last night of a mudslide about 40 feet long came across the highway near exit 42 (Palisade exit.) Traffic was held up for several hours.

Got a good storm in the Fruita area for about a half hour yesterday evening. Need more though.
 
Old 07-19-2013, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,091 posts, read 12,478,899 times
Reputation: 26117
Public information statement
national weather service grand junction co
110 pm mdt fri jul 19 2013

the following are preliminary 24 hour precipitation reports from
western colorado and eastern utah, ending around 9 am friday. The
first value is rainfall or water amounts in snow, and the second
value is snowfall, when appropriate. Amounts are in inches.


Western colorado and eastern utah 24 hour stations:

Aspen, 0.18.
Cortez, 0.31.
Montrose, 0.16.


Official climate stations of western colorado:

2 miles southwest of collbran, 0.25.
Cortez, 0.29.
Crested butte, 0.24.
3 miles east of delta, 0.39.
6 miles southeast of grand junction, 0.14.
Montrose #2, 0.12.
Ouray, 0.44.
Palisade, 0.60.
2 miles north of paradox, 1.88.
3 miles northeast of rifle, 0.12.
Steamboat springs, 0.16.
Yampa, 0.30.
 
Old 07-19-2013, 03:12 PM
 
Location: CO/UT/AZ/NM Catch me if you can!
4,743 posts, read 4,373,175 times
Reputation: 10403
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Public information statement
national weather service grand junction co
110 pm mdt fri jul 19 2013

the following are preliminary 24 hour precipitation reports from
western colorado and eastern utah, ending around 9 am friday. The
first value is rainfall or water amounts in snow, and the second
value is snowfall, when appropriate. Amounts are in inches.


Western colorado and eastern utah 24 hour stations:

Aspen, 0.18.
Cortez, 0.31.
Montrose, 0.16.


Official climate stations of western colorado:

2 miles southwest of collbran, 0.25.
Cortez, 0.29.
Crested butte, 0.24.
3 miles east of delta, 0.39.
6 miles southeast of grand junction, 0.14.
Montrose #2, 0.12.
Ouray, 0.44.
Palisade, 0.60.
2 miles north of paradox, 1.88.
3 miles northeast of rifle, 0.12.
Steamboat springs, 0.16.
Yampa, 0.30.
YAY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top