Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2013, 10:34 AM

2,885 posts, read 7,106,976 times

Advertisements

Boulder flood: 2nd death confirmed as heavy flooding continues across county

At the end of the article:

Quote:
. . .Much of Boulder County is under a flash flood warning through 10 a.m. Thursday, according to the National Weather Service, as is northeastern Broomfield County and northeastern Weld County.

After 2:30 a.m., the Boulder Office of Emergency Management updated the list of roads closed: Boulder Canyon at the mouth to the west; Colo. 66 from North Foothills Highway to Lyons; 63rd/61st streets from Jay Road to Valmont Road; U.S. 36 from Lyons into Larimer County; Baseline Road from Chautauqua Park to Flagstaff; Linden Road from Broadway west; Lefthand Canyon from Foothills Highway to Peak to Peak Highway; Sugarloaf Road at the 600 Block; Lefthand Canyon Road at Lee Hill; Four Mile Canyon from Boulder Canyon to Poorman; Gold Run at Dixon; Four Mile Canyon at Boulder Canyon to North of Boulder Canyon; Coal Creek Canyon Drive and Colo. 93; Erie Parkway from Briggs to Weld County Rd No. 7; Old Tale Road from McSorley Drive; South Boulder Road from Cherryvale road to 76th Street.

Boulder has long ranked as one of the state's top flood hazards and made a national list of six "disasters waiting to happen" published by CU in 2004, along with a devastating hurricane striking New Orleans.

Without a 100-year flood since 1894, the city's Web site has said another major flood is "a question of when and not if."

Old 09-12-2013, 11:13 AM

12,259 posts, read 24,378,209 times
Rain has stated in the city of Pueblo this morning! Hopefully we get some of the major storms that have hit northern Colorado...

Old 09-12-2013, 12:25 PM

26,134 posts, read 48,779,992 times
Boulder area is catching hell today, newspaper reports 6.5 inches of rain.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:43 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,601,841 times
I guess the drought is over then?

Old 09-12-2013, 12:45 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,943,393 times
wanneroo wrote: I guess the drought is over then?

That is likely the case in some parts of Colorado, but not everywhere.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Boulder area is catching hell today, newspaper reports 6.5 inches of rain.
Boulder registers wettest 24-hour period, and month, on record

Quote:
Boulder has set a record for its wettest 24-hour period. Ever.

Prior to Wednesday, the single wettest day on record was July 31, 1919, when 4.80 inches of rain were recorded, according to Bob Henson, a science writer at the National Center for Atmospheric Research.

Henson said that the latest official readings for Boulder show that from 6 p.m. Wednesday to 9:15 a.m. today, 7.21 inches of rain have fallen in Boulder, with amounts likely varying from a bit lower in northeast areas of the city to higher than that to the southwest.

Additionally, the last three days of rain are more than Boulder has experienced in any month on record.

Since the rain kicked in late Monday afternoon, Boulder has recorded 9.61 inches of rain, topping the 9.59 inches recorded in the entire month of May 1995. . .

Old 09-12-2013, 01:47 PM

The Denver Post reports:

Colorado flood: 3 killed, streets impassable, dams overflow

Quote:
Heavy rain and massive flooding threatens towns and cities up and down the Front Range into the day Thursday as communities were evacuated, roads closed and emergency shelters set up.

Three people were confirmed dead and at least one missing.

The conditions continued to worsen as the rains pounded Thursday.

Just after 1 p.m. the Denver Police Department announced evacuations between Lowry and Stapleton because of high water. The impacted area is from Colfax Avenue to 11th Avenue, from Verbena Street to Xanthia Street. Evacuees were told to go to 11th Avenue at Yosemite where RTD buses were waiting. Residents were notified by emergency phone calls. Parts of Central Park Boulevard and Northfield Boulevard were closed. . .

Old 09-12-2013, 02:28 PM

8,595 posts, read 14,778,113 times
Estes Park is essentially cut off from the Front Range. 34 is washed out in the Big Thompson Canyon near Drake and 36 is washed out at Longmont Dam Road near Lyons. The only way in and out is Trail Ridge.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:40 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,897,218 times
Unbelievable about Boulder. The only other place I've seen such a torrential downpour of rain in such a short time is in the tropics. The news said Lyons has essentially become an island due to the flooding and mudslides as much as 3 feet deep. I used to live in Lyons and I'm trying to visualize all this and I'm failing. These are the same extremes of climate just as predicted - oscillations from one extreme to another, but always with the over-all trend to continued warming.

These heavy rainfalls all over the state of Colorado are NOT a sign things will be "better" as some folks may think. They are a sign of worse to come.

The Four Corners has had an inredible amount of rain in a short time with some flash flooding - nothing as bad as Boulder, though. This rainfall has come too late to help the farmers and ranchers out here. Their crops have already failed. Next summer or the one after the drought will set back in and we'll see the same low water supply in McPhee as this year, if not worse.

(I'm feeling like the official forum bearer of bad tidings )

Old 09-12-2013, 03:01 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,305,823 times
When I was a boy we went on a vacation to Rocky Mtn NP. I remember US-34 as it clung to the banks of the Big Thompson. Not long after the visit, was the Big Thompson Flood ... yeah, that one.

Deja vu all over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado