U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 09:58 AM

20,844 posts, read 39,064,756 times

Advertisements

Look at padmapper.com to get an idea of the rental market here, it's crazy right now.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 11:09 AM

13,953 posts, read 20,207,715 times
Default Be prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHayes007 View Post
Our rent is $675 plus utilities. [for a 2/1]
My suggestion is that you pretend that your rent is $1100 and put $400/mo into savings every month.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:41 AM

24 posts, read 31,016 times
“It would be wiser to do a large amount of job hunting and arrange a time to move where you can both arrive with jobs starting quickly there after.”

Yes, your totally right Lurtsman. I plan to update our LinkedIn accounts substantially, our portfolios will be updated as we work with our personnel reps who are aware of our desire to relocate, and really send out plentiful e-mails and applications online. Hopefully that will assist us with landing something and get us on our feet.

“Working, overtime, education, and being a parent. You're an incredible person. I'd say that doing it here would be less difficult than what you are already accomplishing.”

Thank you. I really do try. Get’s tough sometimes but I want to be the parent I never had ya’ know.

“If you've had any concerns that some ***holes here might treat you differently, your fears can be put to rest. Within a decade or two, I think children will be as confused by why racism existed as they will be by the idea of a land line.”

That’s very assuring. There’s not too much racism here, but more so stereotypical people. I recently was speaking with this young black woman in a medical training course I had to take for my job and I mentioned how I just want to work hard and not have to rely on public assistance/welfare, which my family does not receive and the young woman seemed baffled and asked me “why not?” Like she was amazed that I did not want to be on welfare… I didn’t get it … Even when I went back to Brooklyn to visit last summer my childhood friends and even siblings called me “white girl” because I’m articulate when I speak, wear my hair shaved or in it’s natural kinky state and have meaningful tattoos and facial piercings (which I keep discreet/removed at my place of work) But what makes me smile is to listen to my daughter say “Mama is dark brown, Dada is light and together you guys make me, Light Brown!” lol.

“Within a decade or two, I think children will be as confused by why racism existed as they will be by the idea of a land line.”

Ha! LOL. True indeed!

“You'll want 20% saved for a down payment, though some lenders will take less if you have exceptional credit. It is still possible to buy a house with a 5% down, I did it in November. I had more money saved up, but found that doing 5% down and paying the rest towards my student loans was a better deal in the long run.”

Very good point. At this point I definitely believe we will be renting first to get to know the area then look into home ownership. I only have about a 4k loan to pay off for schooling so far, but have yet to begin payments on it since I’m still officially enrolled in school.

Thank you so much for your wise words and kind encouragement Lurtsman. It means a lot to me. You take care!

Old 05-16-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Look at padmapper.com to get an idea of the rental market here, it's crazy right now.

Yup, just checked it out Mike. Rentals are honestly about the same as they are here in Rochester. I just want to be near good schools is my main concern. We truly lucked up on craigslist.org with the place we have now. We would prefer a single family house (seems hard to find out there), mainly for the privacy and our love of music, as I notice that there are a lottttt of complexes out there . But whatever we can land just to settle in will have to do until we begin our road to becoming first time home buyers.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 AM

129 posts, read 216,477 times
Quote:
Yup, just checked it out Mike. Rentals are honestly about the same as they are here in Rochester.
Seriously? I moved from Niagara Falls and found rents to be two to three times as expensive here in CO. I was renting a 3 bedroom house for $600 a month in NY, and they want $1100 for 1 Bedroom apt here in Gunbarrel.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:17 PM

11,658 posts, read 7,207,243 times
So many things I want to comment on...

I would definitely expect rent to be around $1100/month. You might get lucky and find something for less...but don't bet on it.

You and others are recommending to try and find a job before getting out here. While that would be FANTASTIC and I would congratulate you bigtime if it happens...it might be very hard to do. I found while job hunting in prep for a known move, even though I was 100% certain that we were coming and when, employers didn't want to give me the time of day until I was actually HERE. I think that with all the military we've got especially in the Springs, they've seen enough planned relocations fall through or change last minute, they don't bank on ya until you are present, with a local address. Now, you should ask if the sis-in-law would let you use her address to establish a pseudo-residence for resume purposes. If she would be OK with this, you might be able to work it that way. Maybe.

As a military wife, who has done this a few times, I can say with confidence that having one adult move out first is feasible. IF the sis-in-law is willing to put you up. You don't want to be overlapping housing costs in the old and new places. It can be done. It has challenges...you will have to think it all through and find the right solution for your situation.

Best would be to have 3-4 months expenses saved up prior to coming out, find a place to rent for as short a lease as you can get (in case you discover you don't like the home or neighborhood as much as you expected) and if the two of you are as awesome as you sound, you should be able to find work within that 3-4 month timeframe. Have some target companies in mind to pester their HR departments. Put your best foot forward and go for it! While many will say that your wages might be lower here, you might get lucky like I did and find the perfect fit and wind up making more!

As to the racism thing you described...I salute you enthusiastically for being YOURSELF. I grew up in VA, and had a close friend who was from Haiti. Her family spoke fluent French among other things, and she is/was a genius. She was articulate, involved in debate team, drama club, chess...and kept clear of the trouble that the black youth of our high school often got into. And they gave her a hard time for "acting white." The same girls who straightened their hair of its natural (beautiful) kink, said she acted white. I could be a white girl, with no expectation of friendship from that segment of the school community, and that was one thing, but it was a million times more infuriating to watch them treat her badly and try to cram her into a narrow box of racial stereotypes. Anyways...so I've seen that, know what you're talking about. Be who you are, and whoever you are, be the most awesome YOU that ever could be.

As for schools, check out which ones offer things like band and orchestra and great arts programs at what ages and stages. I needed to find a school that offered orchestra in middle school for my son when we came here, most didn't but a few did. I had to call some of the districts to find out for sure. I think you will want to really inspect the offerings of the schools to make sure you find one that doesn't stifle your daughter's spirit and creativity. Many public schools seem to do that. My son who is a very talent artist is failing his art class right now, because they wouldn't let them do anything remotely interesting. It was all technical methods of shading and color wheels and tests on information. I don't feel that's what art is all about, and I've made money selling my work so...yeah. Kids need to be able to express themselves.

Sorry, I went and wrote a novel again...

Hey you sound like great people. I wish you the best of luck. Come back often, ask us anything, and keep us updated if and when you make the leap!

Old 05-22-2013, 07:10 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,935,380 times
I guess employment depends on the field. My wife applied to about 7 jobs before we visited Co. Springs. She had 4 interviews while here, and got three offers despite being 80 days from the move. Being a registered nurse is a good thing.

About being yourself: Be yourself. You're great, and you'll fit in.
Unless you can be Batman, always be Batman.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethehighcountry View Post
Seriously? I moved from Niagara Falls and found rents to be two to three times as expensive here in CO. I was renting a 3 bedroom house for $600 a month in NY, and they want $1100 for 1 Bedroom apt here in Gunbarrel.
I don't know much about renting in Niagara Falls but a $600/mo 3bd here in Rochester will land you right in the hood. Young kids killing each other every other night. Literally... just check YNN news... We decided to just spend a little bit more on gas commuting than live where I fear some reckless kids with nothing productive to do can land a bullet through our window. This city is way too small for all the non-sense that happens here.

$600 for a 3-Bedroom sounds nice if you don't mind having to walk through several thugs loitering outside your local bodega all day and night.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:18 AM

I would definitely expect rent to be around $1100/month. You might get lucky and find something for less...but don't bet on it.

You know… Several ppl say that rent would be high, like $1100/month that we would not be able to afford at all, but I keep running into affordable listings as I stated in response to Mike from back east.

But I do know that location, location, location is a major factor, and once again I would like our child in a good school, doesn’t have to be the very best in the state but not under-achieving in test scores (I already have read some stats on a few schools locally {in Denver} that score way below state average , so I will be doing major research to weigh in the best fit)

You guys chime in for me (location reviews) Below are current and actual postings. Mind you, I’m from Bed-Stuy in Brooklyn and DO embrace a little roughness around the edges, as I carry it well (many realize not to mistake my kindness for weakness), but I don’t want to have to worry about low quality education or our apt. or cars getting broken into/vandalized ya’ know:

*7505 Stuart Street
Westminster, CO 80030
Townhouse for Rent
2bd/1ba/740sq. ft./ $795mo
All utilities (except electricity) are included.
hotpads.com

*7700 Glasgow Place #9D
Littleton, CO 80128
Townhouse for Rent
2bd/1ba/732sq. ft./$795mo
hotpads.com

*1655 Havana Street
Aurora, CO 80010
House for Rent
2bd/1ba/650sq. ft./$800mo
Secured Building Off Street Parking Water Paid Trash Paid
hotpads.com

*940 Moline Street
Aurora, CO 80010
House for Rent
2bd/1ba/736sq. ft./$700mo
hotpads.com

*7665 E Quincy Avenue #101
Denver, CO 80237
Townhouse for Rent
2bd/1ba/952sq. ft./$795mo
hotpads.com

Let me know what you guys think.

"Now, you should ask if the sis-in-law would let you use her address to establish a pseudo-residence for resume purposes. If she would be OK with this, you might be able to work it that way. Maybe."

I get the idea but what if an employer does find interest in my credentials…I guess it’s a matter of being ready and able financially to hop on the next flight to CO when the time comes. Like do I say (to potential employer), “The address on my resume is a relatives address that I will be staying at while in the process of relocating…”

"As to the racism thing you described...I salute you enthusiastically for being YOURSELF."

Thanks! I love me.

"Sorry, I went and wrote a novel again...
Hey you sound like great people. I wish you the best of luck. Come back often, ask us anything, and keep us updated if and when you make the leap!"

Your fine Sonic! I appreciate it more than you know. The more info. the better. I thank and commend everyone who has been taking the time out to share their knowledge and experience with myself and my family for this big move we’re aiming for.
Thanks again Sonic, ::hugs::

Last edited by LHayes007; 05-23-2013 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: Odd Formatting

Old 05-23-2013, 11:38 AM

13,953 posts, read 20,207,715 times
Default Ghetto

Quote:
*1655 Havana Street
Aurora, CO 80010
The worst neighborhood in all of greater Denver. IMHO.
The one at 940 Moline is not much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or