U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 07:44 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,939,017 times

Advertisements

I politely disagree with livecontent. I moved to Colorado because after a thorough (18 month) and rational analysis I found the things I wanted were in Colorado and not in the other states. I have found exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe it is what she wants, and maybe it is not, but there are some very unique things about living here.

Since she is taking a break from school anyway, this would be the ideal time to transfer since the non-residency rates won't apply to her as a non-student doesn't have to be worried about tuition rates.

We had good jobs in the state we came from, but we were sick of it and ready to get out. If she also wants out, that seems like something she should consider. Honestly, I would hate living anywhere near NYC. I'm glad it works for some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 07:49 AM

15,241 posts, read 12,036,638 times
I went to UB in Buffalo...I escaped from NYC in '86 to CO.
Love it and the peeps.
Best to you.

You get a lot more for your buck here than the East Coast!!!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:21 AM

874 posts, read 1,075,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I politely disagree with livecontent. I moved to Colorado because after a thorough (18 month) and rational analysis I found the things I wanted were in Colorado and not in the other states. I have found exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe it is what she wants, and maybe it is not, but there are some very unique things about living here.

Since she is taking a break from school anyway, this would be the ideal time to transfer since the non-residency rates won't apply to her as a non-student doesn't have to be worried about tuition rates.

We had good jobs in the state we came from, but we were sick of it and ready to get out. If she also wants out, that seems like something she should consider. Honestly, I would hate living anywhere near NYC. I'm glad it works for some people.
Same here.

I moved to CO a couple years ago and did the unthinkable - I came with a padded savings account (that I still hate dipping into unnecessarily) and without a job. The state is not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than both Illinois and California on every front. I really struggle to think of downfalls, short of really picky things e.g. lack of [very] diverse cuisine, ethnic supermarkets, a major booming city a la Chicago/NYC. This is all stuff that I love, however, it does not affect me day-to-day.

Life is too short. If you want to move here, move here. Waiting is not going to get you closer. I understand there may be better times for moving cross-country, such as having your education complete or a job lined up, but sometimes you just need to do a little Mark Twain action and set sail from the harbour!

Old 02-13-2014, 11:33 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,519,917 times
Yes, I do have to agree with some of the other posts in tone. I did leave New York and "set sail from the harbor" when I was young. However, I had finished the Army and my education. Also, I did not have any family responsibilities--it was just me and the wide open world. It also helped that I had some money, not much, but when you do not have a family, not having funds or a job is not such a big issue. So, my advice is tempered with those ideas and I think, as a previous poster has said, you have made a choice for children and those are now your main responsibility, not to your whims and desires.

Do not assume that I am saying that New York is better than Colorado, nor is Colorado better than New York. They are just different experiences of my life. I came to Colorado from Texas and I also liked Texas. Each and every area has its advantages and disadvantages and to think that Colorado is the best in everything for everybody is not reality.

I came here on my way to "wherever" I was going because I also had some family members who already relocated. I drove here with my possession in my car and as many of us find, as we get attached to a place and our possessions also grow and now I cannot leave without hauling it all in a big truck and having the hassle of selling my real estate. In a sense, I have given up my freedom with ownership. I actually now know, I was much more free when I was in the Army because what I owned I carried in a duffle. I had no worries or responsibilities--All I had to do was keep my big mouth shut and do what I was told.

The Denver area is now my home. I have been here longer than other places and that in itself is very important for me as I am now a senior with health problems. I have found that I like the feeling of place--the comfort and familiarity of my surroundings. To me, that is the definition of home. It takes years to develop and I do not have the time left or energy to start the process over, even if there are other places that may be more appealing.

Good Luck,

Livecontent

Old 02-16-2014, 09:00 PM

24 posts, read 31,038 times
Default All in all...

I feel like our hearts are in the right place. All we want to do is be happy, be free and continue to work hard in order to be the family we see ourselves as.

I HATE Rochester. I'm done with it. The only thing I praise it for is being the meeting place in my life in which I met my now husband and had our beautiful child. That's it. The people, the communities, the lack of diversity, the venues and entertainment, the weather... I'm done. I do love the Finger Lakes area however, very beautiful.

I'm 25 (just celebrated my b-day 2/9/14), and to be honest, I don't mind having to put my education on hold in order to get my family to where we want and need to be. And it sure enough isn't Rochester, NY.

I see Colorado as an opportunity for growth in our minds and hearts together as a family, a move to keep our lives moving, we only have one, why not have an idea, research it and move forth.

We just want to go and not look back for some time… and when we do look back, we can say that we did it and we did it together, through all the nerves, butterflies and judgment .

Time is what you make of it. And we’re just trying to make something of it . Continue aiming towards our goals while exploring new terrain. Yes, each and every area has its advantages and disadvantages, to say that a place is completely flawless is pure delusion. We are far from naïve and we’re just a young family seeking fulfillment in our lives, which is greatly impacted upon where we live.

We are very low maintenance so this fulfillment consists of watching our daughter grow and analyze life, dealing with the stresses and routines of our jobs/careers, savoring the view of mountains overlooking various CO communities while toasting to our dedication to one another .

On another note, just to keep you guys updated (and I want to thank all of you for your thoughtful advice) I’m sort of depressed as I type this post d/t having to put our move scheduled for this Summer 14” on hold. A significant amount of our move was depending on a portion of our tax refund… We were quite taken back by it being about half less than what we usually expect. Now that we’re married (as of 10/19/13) many deductions have been taken off… So yea… Taking it kind of hard …but what can ya’ do right? ::sigh::

~One day we’ll meet CO. Brooklyn needs ya~

Old 02-17-2014, 09:03 AM

Sorry about the tax refund being less than anticipated. For double income getting married can mean a tax penalty. For single income it reduces rates. How much of a refund were you looking at? I would think it wouldn't be more than 4 or 5 thousand, so even losing half is 2 to 2.5 thousand. It's hard to find out the refund is going to be so short, but I'm sure you can still find a way. I know entirely what you mean about hating Rochester. It wasn't Rochester for me, but I had a city that failed to meet virtually all of my expectations, and it was time to find a very different city.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Sorry about the tax refund being less than anticipated. For double income getting married can mean a tax penalty. For single income it reduces rates. How much of a refund were you looking at? I would think it wouldn't be more than 4 or 5 thousand, so even losing half is 2 to 2.5 thousand. It's hard to find out the refund is going to be so short, but I'm sure you can still find a way. I know entirely what you mean about hating Rochester. It wasn't Rochester for me, but I had a city that failed to meet virtually all of my expectations, and it was time to find a very different city.
Last year we collected a tad over 6k combined (both filed separately allowing for further credits). This year as a married family we collected 3k, which has to be used to replace our 2nd vehicle we had to reluctantly junk a few weeks ago .

A chance at a silver lining:

We're acquaintances with the CEO of a neighborhood credit union where we get our taxes filed. Funny how we just found out this weekend that this woman we've been seeing the past four yrs. is actually the CEO of the credit union She adores us . She offered her assistance in guaranteeing us an auto loan, as she was appalled by denial we received from other local unions. We may have a long shot at continuing with our plans to relocate depending upon what type of interest rate we're granted by this CU (and if we're even granted the small loan 8-10k at all…).

Old 02-17-2014, 09:47 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,797,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHayes007 View Post
I'm 25 (just celebrated my b-day 2/9/14), and to be honest, I don't mind having to put my education on hold in order to get my family to where we want and need to be.
That is a very serious mistake that way too many young people make, and it will cost you dearly in the long run. Education--not just any education, but education that helps you get marketable skills--is what buys you the freedom to do a lot of things, including choosing where you want to live. Chances are that your best and most affordable opportunity to get such an education is going to be close to where you are now. Relocating and waiting to gain residency in another state is both a time and money-wasting event that you likely can't really afford right now--especially in light of the fact that not getting a tax refund that you thought you would is apparently a financially crippling event for you. The last thing that you want to do at your age is to go into debt for anything other than furthering your education and marketable job skills. My rule--never borrow for anything that is consumption, a depreciating asset, or something that will not make you money in the long run.

I know a lot of people who have managed to succeed in the Rocky Mountain West--some who were able to do it in the most economically challenging places in the region. The common theme behind most of those success stories is that the individuals brought a very good job skill set with them--many in multiple disciplines--along with substantial career work experience, often that experience gained elsewhere. The relatively unskilled "dreamers" living under the "Paradise Syndrome" are the ones that seldom last here, and wind up having to go back "to the world"--broke, with their tail between their legs.

The other thing that I would note is that a number of things that you say that you hate about where you live now are pretty much universal--you'll find some combination of them anywhere that you go. I see people who are constantly relocating--looking for something in their new place that was lacking in the old. Pretty soon, they are disenchanted with the new place, for the same reasons that they disliked the old one, and the cycle starts again. You need to dig down and answer for yourself whether what you hate about where you live is about it, or more about you. If you decide it's the former, then make a coherent plan, not a dream, about how you will escape it for good. Be prepared, though, it may take years and some interim compromises (close to 40 years worth for me) to make it happen right. That's what I did.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:02 AM

Default Of different classes...

"Relocating and waiting to gain residency in another state is both a time and money-wasting event that you likely can't really afford right now--especially in light of the fact that not getting a tax refund that you thought you would is apparently a financially crippling event for you."

I wouldn’t be waiting to gain residency in another state in order to return to school. Taking a break is what I am deciding to do right now. It's a choice that I am making and that I have done in the past. Yes, my family is coming before completion of my degree, and I'm okay with that. My daughter is an amazingly bright kid, so seeing her grow and the way she articulates her thoughts and ideas shows me that we're okay .

As far as placing school on hold being “a time and money-wasting event”, time is what you make of it through gained experience and I have no money to waste! A minority yes. I was born a minority and so was my husband. What we're doing is living the best we can to make something self-admiring of our family while avoiding living in the ghetto, crime, government assistance and violence…pages I’ve seen too many of and prefer not to put my child through it.

I grew up in housing projects in the heart of Brooklyn. Don't feel like I'm doing far too bad for myself considering I could be gangbanging as a result of what happens often when your raised by the streets.

And yes, not getting the tax refund that we thought we would is “apparently a financially crippling event for us” called life and trying to make something of it.

I believe that people doing what they can with what they've got are far from “unskilled dreamers”. Sort of unkind words to say but hey, thanks for commenting.

~We’ll smoke and chat together one day CO, on me~

Old 02-18-2014, 07:56 AM

LHayes,

What do you need an 8 to 10k loan for? You can get a reliable car for under 2.5k easily. I helped a friend that needed a vehicle recently, and he wasn't flush with cash. He found a reliable car for 1500 (talked it down to 1300), and it gets 35 to 38 miles to the gallon. Not according to the seller, but his own calculations.

I'm living in CO, and there is no way I'm blowing that much money on a vehicle. Having car debt is a quick way to lose site of the dream. Leave the really nice cars for when you have money that is literally disposable. My personal financial choices are similar to those of Jazzlover. Though we don't agree about the direction of Colorado, he is one of the most intelligent posters that I have the pleasure of disagreeing with regularly. In this regard though, he is entirely right about how to manage finances. I do not use debt to purchase things that go down in value, unless they are producing cash flow while they do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or