U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 11:08 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,487,858 times

Advertisements

Hello again. I read back through this thread to get the history and found I was a poster almost a year ago. I hesitated whether to reply again as I don't know if it will do any good but decided to try anyways.

I think that you should really sit down and evaluate what you are trying to accomplish with this move.

From reading the thread it sounds like you are in a good situation where you are. Your husband has a good job with a good company where he is thought well of and has a history. He has seniority and he has benefits. You have had a string of jobs and it sound like your personality and networking may have played a part in your being continually employed. You have a relationship with a financial institution that may allow you to get a loan that would not happen if you went the traditional route. You have a grandma nearby who can help out with childcare if needed. Neither of you will have that sort of network or history here.

Your housing situation is better and much more affordable than what you will find here. In terms of some of the other things you do not like about Rochester: You will not find diversity here. You will find many things about the weather that you do not like.

If you have $3K in tax refund I suggest you find a car that is $3K or less. It is just what financially strapped people do. Getting a more expensive car, especially as a second car, doesn't make any sense. Put the word out on your personal networks, both of you at work, through friends and family, that you are looking. There will be someone getting rid of an old car that you can afford.

I suggest you really rethink your major of elementary art education. It is the type of job that will not pay well. Your family and your husband need you to be a real breadwinner. You also need this for yourself so that if for some reason you should break up you want to be able to support your family.

Given your current situation, which is good, and the potential to come out here and spend years (5 to 10) just getting back to the situation you currently have (and you may never get back there) I suggest you evaluate your goals for the move with a realistic view to what you will find here vs. what you have there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 07:04 AM

24 posts, read 31,008 times
Mic...

You're acting as though when you first replied to my original post you didn’t wish me good luck with my plans... I clarified exactly what we planned to do as far as schooling, employment, housing, etc... So stating that "I hesitated whether to reply again as I don't know if it will do any good but decided to try anyways" is just a tone that is condescending and unneeded. I came to seek advice, not be judged. Save it for someone else please.

Yes we have a grandma nearby (who we love dearly) but it doesn’t cut expenses. We pay for childcare because we choose to live outside of the city for our daughter to be in a better school.

The small car loan was just an option and potential outlet in attempting to build our savings (and credit) with the little tax return we received.

I will not lose focus on my goals of helping children with the talent I was born with. Art. I never stated that teaching art education is what I am completely dedicated to do, but you have to start somewhere and that is what I am doing.

My long-term goal is where ever my education takes me (no matter how long it takes!), whether it be as a K-6 Art Teacher, Art Therapist, Director of Recreation and Cultural Arts or Community Events Coordinator. Don't attempt to shoot down my aspirations.

"Given your current situation, which is good"... You don't know the depths of our current situation. It's crap. My husband has dealt with major BS and its taken him almost 15 yrs. to get to the warehouse non-management position he has (not to mention he's weary and more than likely just a yr. or two away from carpal tunnel)

I'm working two jobs, one with group homes for developmentally and behaviorally challenged children and adults, as well as at a private school for the same population coming home with my chest scratched up bloody to the white meat and bite marks, all so that I can gain classroom experience to work in public or charter schools.

It's just what we do. Zero other family members living here in Rochester from my side (I'm from Brooklyn anyway) nor my husband's side (just grandma who plans to eventually move back to her hometown in Boston as she hates Rochester too, she‘s just waiting on us to move)

We're on our own and I HIGHLY DOUBT it'll take us 5 to 10 yrs. to do what we're doing now out in CO. What in the world is wrong with taking a chance when you have minimal to lose?

We’re going to stack a few K and hit the road hopefully by next year. One of my older sisters back home in Brooklyn told me the other day when she found out how bummed I was that “You know what you have to do now right? Work harder.”

That’s all I needed. Coming from her seeing that she’s been through hell is the type of support I needed.

Thanks to all you guys who reminded us to stay positive.

Laquavia. (Pronounced; La ("Luh", not "Lah")-Quay-Via) Laquavia.

Last edited by LHayes007; 03-01-2014 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: Figured I'd display proper pronunciation for my name.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:40 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,783,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHayes007 View Post
Mic...

We're on our own and I HIGHLY DOUBT it'll take us 5 to 10 yrs. to do what we're doing now out in CO. What in the world is wrong with taking a chance when you have minimal to lose?
That is the part where I think that you are sadly mistaken. Being broke and underemployed or unemployed in Colorado is as miserable as being in that situation anywhere else. Moving to an area or region where you have no personal or work connections is difficult even for people with sterling work credentials and relative financial security. It is often highly stressful (been there, done that) and that can also put a big emotional strain on your family and your marriage. I've seen that A LOT. I consider divorce and a broken family a lot to lose. Think about it. Relocating out of pure economic necessity is one thing; moving just because one is unhappy with one's current situation without having a better economic and living situation IN HAND is another.

Remember, the people who usually are the ones who most enthusiastically tell you to throw caution to the wind are the ones who don't have "any skin in the game" and don't give a damn whether or not you succeed or fail.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:45 PM

Appreciate the comment Jazzlover. I do understand the wisdom upon the cautionary advice being thrown at me. Just as enthused we are, we are scared. Which is what brought me to this forum in the first place.

Thank you all.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:13 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,934,395 times
Hey LH,

Sounds like you enjoy NY about as much as I would.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:03 AM

11,628 posts, read 7,203,216 times
One thing... "If you move to colorado, expect snow and lots of it." (from Kaddie's post above)... Not really, as far as I've seen, and ESPECIALLY not compared to the NE this year!

We've had mostly 40-60 degree days with the occasional cooldown and bit of snow, then warming right back up 24-48 hours later. I've been here since winter 2011/12 and this seems normal, at least down here in Colorado Springs.

OK so sure, being cautious and not assuming the grass will be greener is great. But I'm not so cynical as to tell a person not to pursue their dreams and goals. I think a good middle ground is to a.) be prepared, sounds like you intend to save up a good financial cushion to make this work. b.) consider some backup options. Since you're not going to do this move instantaneously, you've got some time to think, to plan. So ask yourself what you'll do if things don't work out. Heck, if things don't go exactly as planned, it isn't the end of the world, just means you adjust and cope and adapt. Right?

When we lived in Iowa, I thought I had a "good job." Then we ended up in Washington, and for the first year it was terrible. But then I got a call (out of the blue, and on my birthday) because an employer saw my resume on Monster.com and wanted to offer me a job. That turned out to be an excellent job, I got promoted within a year, and most importantly I got to add some impressive words to my resume...then when I moved to CO I got an even better job in the same field within a few months. If I had never left Iowa, I'd still be stuck in my dead end "good job" making about half what I do now, give or take some paltry cost of living increases. Sometimes moving can be the best thing in the world. Is it risky? Yes. But again, some of the best gains come with lots of risk. This is as true in life as it is in finance. Only you can determine how much risk is too much for you.

Also, there are areas here in CO that do have diversity, saw that mentioned above somewhere. We actually have a fairly ethnically diverse population in my area of Security-Widefield, and I imagine there are parts of Denver and other areas which are fairly diverse, too. I don't recall where I saw it, but there was a census map that showed with multicolored dots how many of various ethnicities were resident in various areas. Some parts of Colorado are very diverse. One thing I've noticed however is that the way many places in the east have specific areas that are completely dominated by one race or another, and the races don't mix much...that doesn't seem to happen as much here. Sure, we have some areas that are mostly black, white, hispanic, etc. but I think we have more mixing and less...voluntary segregation? I don't know what terminology to use. But I also see that in my sons' schools there seems to be more social mixing of various races, which I think is fantastic.

People are people, I've always hoped we'd get to a place where everyone can be proud of whatever they are and still not negative towards others who are something else. Whether because I'm observing the next generation, or because Colorado is just that different from Northern VA, I don't know. But I like it.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:31 PM

Lurtsman, you so crazy

Sonic_Spork, thanks so much for brightening up my thread. I’ve had such a day today that reading your post really helped smooth some of the crinkles out.

Thanks for making me smile ::hugs::

~Laquavia

Old 03-03-2014, 03:47 PM

11,628 posts, read 7,203,216 times
::hugs back!::

Hey, I've got some crazy dreams and goals...I know that right now at this moment, they are just dreams and it's not time to jump on them yet. But I never give up. I actually hope to make, buy, and sell art for a living someday, which is hardly a practical thing to wish for, but you never know...I might just pull it off one day when the stars line up and the time is right.

I think it's important to envision yourself where you want to be and keep the spark alive, give yourself something to work towards and always be optimistic. That's what all of those motivational speakers and advisors say, isn't it? Envision yourself where you want to be and hang onto that. We might have to be patient, but when it's time, we know. I think that my belief in success has taken me far, even when things were hard...be grateful for the good you've got and always believe in the better tomorrow. Being pessimistic never gets ya anywhere, and some of the best things in the history of our nation--and humanity--have been because somebody dreamed a dream, had some goals, a bit of ambition, and finally took a risk. It's pretty awesomely American, really.

So anyhow, best of luck with all of your progress, and by all means if you have any Colorado questions, don't be shy.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:31 PM

2,147 posts, read 4,329,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHayes007 View Post
I so hope that we can do this.

My fiancé, myself and our child need a breath of fresh air, a new page in our chapter of life. Hopefully Colorado can be the preface.

Hey you guys, hope you all are reading this with peace and comfort.

My fiancé and I are a young couple (mid 20's, though my fiancé will be 30 next year) who have basically come a loooong way in life, growing up with very little in rough neighborhoods. We currently reside in Rochester, NY, his hometown. My fiancé and I have been together for seven years come October 19th (tying the knot this summer) and have the most amazing, beautiful, bright little girl whose five years old. I've never liked Rochester, NY, I'm from Brooklyn, NY but settled in here once I found out we were pregnant.

I'm less than 20 credits away from obtaining my Associates in Communications and Media Arts in order to transfer into a Bachelors program, however I'm bouncing btw switching my major to teach Elementary Art. My fiancé has his Associates in Liberal Arts and have been working with the same company progressively for 14 years and will soon be looking into expanding his education into a trade (He works at a Food Production/Distribution Warehouse for the top company to work for here in Rochester). I have been working in the Customer Service/Patient Health field (from corporate office to working hands on with the developmentally disabled) while going to school and caring for our family. I believe that we are both very well employable until we complete our educations.

We've become extremely weary of Rochester, even after moving out of the city. All of my family is in Brooklyn, NY and my fiancé only has his mother here in Rochester, as his sister moved to Denver about 2 years ago, relocating with her employer and absolutely loves it! My fiancé recently visited for a week and needless to say he fell in love too. We're not your average family. I'm a quirky, young black female, my fiancé an urban young white male and of course our little jumping gymnastics bi-racial princess . We love scenic views, peaceful atmospheres and nature. We live for community recreation and celebration such as festivals, the arts, food, wine and music.

What I want to know is would it be possible to pick up and move to Colorado within a year or so? I've been stalking the forums here on city-data and grew fond of Westminster, CO, 20mins. From Boulder, 20 minutes from Denver. We're currently renting, working full time jobs, and our daughter will be starting kindergarten this Fall. I've been looking into HUD homes and programs there in Westminster and it seems very beneficial (crhdc.org) with mortgage being about the same as what we're currently paying for rent if not less. I've even checked the job market on careerbuilder.com and indeed.com and find a handful of jobs that we qualify for.

I've looked into the schools at greatschools.org and have really been researching this move, but can we do it? We've done a lot together and are such strong partners that our diligence shines when it's crunch time to make things happen

But not having done anything like this before I need to ask, what to do first? Rent or look into first time home buyers programs in Colorado? We will of course visit again where it would be for business, letting companies know that we're in town to meet face to face, handing off our resumes and portfolios, checking out homes on the market, neighborhoods, grocery, etc... How much do we need to save? I give us until next year or so (maybe even next couple of years because we honestly don't have much to start with savings wise. I've been working OT and budgeting right now to get that started) Any advice, tips, warnings, guidance and even encouragement is truly appreciated.

Look forward to hearing from you guys!

(BTW, I was inspired to switch over to Elementary Art because of course I LOOOOVE being a mom and I was re-inspired by a college ART course that really challeneged me (See Below: 20x20in. collage done by pencil) I no longer will push my passion for Art on the back burner as I've been doing )
Have you considered, if you're interested in parlaying the art talent into education, Montessori teacher training? There are some great programs in both denver and boulder [boulder isn't far from den and the program there is done in two summer intensives plus working in a montessori school during the school year]. I'm just mentioning b/c, while Montessori isn't obviously teaching art and not all Montessori schools are arts based curriculum, it does have a creative, alternative classroom component as well as employment options. [Montessori public school programs are on the rise, as well as public charter schools and private montessori schools. There are a number of these elementary [and younger or older aged, too] schools throughout the denver metro area, most on waiting lists for enrollment].
The demand for montessori trained teachers is said to be growing rapidly and there is said to be a shortage of qualified teachers, as well. [vs. art teachers being in relatively low demand.]

Also, there are a number of public charter schools with art based curriculums-arts integrated themes, where the entire curriculum is taught through using artistic mediums. If you had basic educational certification, and art talent, you don't need art education specifically. Otherwise, I think art therapy with a master's in counseling or social work might be more reliable, as well, for long term employment, vs. school art teachers. Or, of course, an MFA would open up teaching at community colleges.

And, you can already teach right now: Just call up the local recreation centers and/or community college continuing education departments-They nearly always offer a variety of classes in many mediums. Not a full time job, but teaching a few classes here and there, to all ages, will also network you into the community.....

That said, there are numerous ways to parlay art talent into a career, besides teaching. Most of them involve working for oneself, entrepreneurial. Others work in art administration [there are online and on site programs for arts administration-also a growing field-where you work for a non profit, philanthropy or other type of organization/venue, organizing shows, events, etc. Then, you'd have ability to pursue your art on your own. Of course, administration isn't teaching, but some of the positions would include museum educator, director of curriculum for visiting schools, etc. You'd have essentially a business type of degree, with administrative training, grant writing, fundraising, etc. And this will also be more in demand in future years, than art teacher jobs.

When reading your OP, the thought came to mind to mention a couple of other educational routes as options. I'm sure there are many other paths-I think brainstorming is great. And I do think [having lived in CO for 3 years myself and now in CA, but originally from the Boston area] that living out west does afford a sense of perspective and ability to take creative risks and less dogma/set track in life than the east coast. Not saying it always pans out, but some of the east coast stability and 'set in one's mind' planning does usually need to be surrendered in order to be creative in making the move [west] work successfully. The mindset that works where you are now works well for people living there. I love living out west for its relative lack of tradition and pioneering spirit. CO has many positives. As they say 'the best laid of plans'....well, I don't think it means they don't work, but that they often work out differently. As I said, pioneering spirit is essentially entrepreneurial and requires flexibility and adaptability of mind. Explore as many options as you can come up with for using your art skills, not just one specific job. My 0.02.

And, for goodness sake, get the heck out of Rochester! It's a big wide world out there...It's not just rochester vs. CO.

I noticed this thread got contentious so I won't get involved in that aspect.....I always try to contribute ideas and creative options to threads when people are looking arrange a move-just to keep brainstorming alive. It's easy for a dead end mindset to develop out of what was originally an innovative idea; I speak from my own experience-and then miss out on new options that are trying to present themselves. Good luck to your family!

ps-Oh yea, definitely rent first before buying. Get the lay of the land and find out what your real options are on the ground. Enjoy exploring the new area you find yourself in....And saving for two years is a good goal, and if for some reason you land decent jobs prior, and the timing is right, then go for it.
And I don't think anyone can guarantee you that you 'can' do this move in a year. It sounds like you've researched well. The 'luck' and 'timing' factors do play a part, for anyone. But you know, as the saying goes...'Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.' Sounds like you are on the way to that. My sense of the replies cautioning you here are to dispel the common myths many posters have about moving to CO. If you post on a forum like this and basically want validation and someone to tell you what you want to hear, you're likely to be disappointed. I mean, you're going to get differing opinions and views. I find this forum works best when people ask specific questions like 'which neighborhood is best and where is such and such street located'? Otherwise, it's just peoples opinions and hard earned experience, and the OP of any thread on CD can only interpret that in the best way he/she can, for their own life.

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-03-2014 at 05:44 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 05:33 PM

Thanks Sonic!

I'll be sure to keep you in mind! You take care of yourself. You seem to have quite a beautiful mind and commendable view of life.

Much love!

Dave,

You hit it right on the head. The winters here can be brutal. This winter specifically has been one of the coldest, stubborn and most unattractive. Makes me really miss the boroughs of downstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or