U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,217 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to Colorado. I need help in finding what area of Colorado I should move to.
Here are the areas I am looking at when considering what area:
-Average apartment price
( as low as possible, I am broke)
-How easy it is to find a entry level job
-Medical marijuana desperadoes
( I have a condition)
-Average cost of living
( needs to be low as I am broke)
-Crime rate
(needs to be low, I will not move to a high crime area)
-Population of people my age
( I am 27 and am hoping to move to an area where there are others my age)
-Relaxing area with easy access to stores
( I am not a city person at all, so no citys )
-Average education of the population in a given area
( I do not have a college education, and if everyone else does I can imagine it would be hard to find a job)
-What kind of people will be living in the area
( im just looking for a decent area with decent people)
- Any unusual laws that would not be obvious
-What kind of entry level jobs are available

( fast food, fishing, farming, ect)

Basically im just looking for a decent/relaxing area with decent/relaxing people, that's not a city or too busy (but not to far away from hospitals and such) that has entry level jobs available that has affordable housing and living cost.

So what town / area do you believe would be best for me? - Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 06:24 PM

3,768 posts, read 4,623,338 times
Here is a link. Shangri-La - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is not easy to find entry level jobs in areas with cheap rentals, a low cost of living, and a decent size population of people in their 20s, add in the low crime rate and medical marijuana, and you are going to have a hard time finding what you are looking for in Colorado.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:40 AM

20,851 posts, read 39,080,035 times
On the east half of the state, Pueblo wins the "affordable" prize.

But if you want to be daring and live in some of the most beautiful areas, read the ski bum threads and consider a place like Vail, Breckenridge, etc, where you can share a place with several like souls and work those entry level, resort town jobs.

Denver is actually the mother lode of what you seek but you'd have to share a place to live.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:48 AM

12,174 posts, read 20,969,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
On the east half of the state, Pueblo wins the "affordable" prize.

This is true. Now the one drawback is population as the metro area is only 160,000 people so there is less to do then in Denver with a metro population of close to 3 million people. That being said Pueblo is a nice city with good restaurants, shopping, festivals, downtown etc. If the OP has any questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:00 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,938,133 times
Given that you don't want a city, that eliminates most of the places that would have a decent number of jobs. There are many low cost areas, but it would still be a challenge. The most job opportunities are probably in Denver, but it is also one of the most educated cities in the state because intelligent people finish their education and ask, "Now where do I want to live?" Denver, and the front range, frequently place quite high and result in more people moving here after completing an education. Because this is a very educated state, you may find it more difficult to avoid educated people. If you seek lower levels of education, avoidance of cities, and low cost of living, I'd suggest looking more at the Midwest. Colorado's population is largely educated (compared to the national average), mostly lives in cities, and only really matches the low cost of living. I was going to say that you might like Pueblo, but then I realized it may still be too much "city". Grand junction is smaller, but I hear unemployment is pretty harsh and the cost of living is higher. Unemployment as a whole is fairly high here, and that may be in part because people just like Colorado. They like the weather and the scenery, and if the pay and jobs are the same, why not have it all? As a result, more people move here and it increases the competition for jobs.

Alabama, Mississippi, or Wyoming offer access to smaller populations, low cost of living, and lower average levels of education. I don't know about the rules for MMJ in those states. Quite simply a large college age population does not mix with low cost of living (because they borrow money to rent things they can't afford), or with an abundance of entry level jobs. The more college age people in the population, the more competition there will be for those entry level jobs. If you ranked the order of importance on your list, we might be able to be better guides. Finding all is unlikely, and I'm not sure which things are most important to you.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:10 AM

5,070 posts, read 9,068,109 times
I'm sure something around Trinidad or Grand Junction would work for you for small town with some fast food and smaller stores around. Grand Junction may or may not be a city by your definition so you would have to see it. Or head out to a farming town like Lamar or Sterling if you want something more isolated with farm jobs around.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:23 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,597,445 times
Your future home in Colorado will be Ovid.

Welcome!!!

Old 05-19-2013, 12:35 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,427,116 times
I think you will have a hard time meeting most of your requirements in CO. The majority of the population is along the Front Range because that's where most of the jobs are. So, while you don't want to be in a city, you may need to be in order to find an entry level job that pays more than minimum wage (you'll need it to pay more because you will find it very difficult to live anywhere in CO on it). Some have suggested looking at Grand Junction, but honestly, it's not the best place to live in your 20s. I lived there at your age and unless you grew up there, it's pretty difficult to meet friends. The economy took a pretty big hit there and I've heard unemployment is high. You might be able to find a job in the oil & gas industry, but the MMJ would most likely be an issue.

Moving to CO broke may not be the best decision, especially if you don't have a job lined up. Mike suggested looking at the ski resorts, which may be a good option, but you'll probably need to wait until the fall when they start hiring. Of course, mountain living is hard, especially in the resort areas. Housing is even more expensive than Denver, and you will definitely have to share or see if they have any employee housing. But, you will most likely be surrounded by people your own age.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:22 PM

55 posts, read 71,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Your future home in Colorado will be Ovid.

Welcome!!!
Ha!
Lived here in CO most my life, driven past it dozens of times on the way to Bic Mac. NEVER even heard of Ovid, Colorado. Wow, I had to googlemap it. Brilliant.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:37 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,597,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurManby View Post
Ha!
Lived here in CO most my life, driven past it dozens of times on the way to Bic Mac. NEVER even heard of Ovid, Colorado. Wow, I had to googlemap it. Brilliant.

Having grown up in Sterling from age 13 I had to ride along with my parents to visit a cousin who owned a ranch a few miles south of town.

I mentioned Ovid as a bit of humor but in reality it is very very quiet for the OP. LOL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado