U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 08:51 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,835,798 times

Advertisements

DurangoJoe wrote: Some of the stupid questions they ask really make you scratch your head though:

* At what altitude do deer turn into elk? I think that happens over 11,000 ft, or is it 10,000. I always get that mixed up.
* Who put all the rocks in the river? The Rock fairy obviously
* Why did they put Mesa Verde so far from town? The gas station lobby is responsible for this
* Who planted all of the flowers along the road on the way to Silverton? Probably Johnny Appleseed or one of his cousins

I'll take a stab at this. My Responses in bold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 11:10 AM

4,697 posts, read 4,330,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
Those Texans I complain about represent 37.5% of the tourist revenues in Durango so I can't complain too loud. Durango needs 'em.

Some of the stupid questions they ask really make you scratch your head though:

* At what altitude do deer turn into elk?
* Who put all the rocks in the river?
* Why did they put Mesa Verde so far from town?
* Who planted all of the flowers along the road on the way to Silverton?

Durango Herald published a recent article about this. One of our relatives here has worked at the visitors center for over 10 years and he will testify that people really ask questions like this. It just boggles the mind.

When I was in college I worked for the CO Springs office of AAA (American Automobile Association) in the summers, and I got questions like that and more:

* Which way is up?
* What road can I take to drive from east to west across Colorado and avoid any mountains?
* Does Pikes Peak erupt very often?
* We're planning on going to New Mexico after this. Where do we go to get visa's or can we just use our passports?

There was a joke making the rounds in Colorado Springs in the 90's that I used to love to tell my friends from California and Texas:

A Californian, a Texan, and a Coloradan were sitting around in a bar together and having a few drinks.

The Californian finished his white wine spritzer, threw his wine glass against the wall, shattering the glass to bits, and exclaimed "In California, we have so much money, we never drink out of the same wine glass twice!"

The Texan, not to be out-done, gulped his shot of Jack Daniels, threw his shot glass against the wall, and announced, "In Texas, we have so much sand that we never drink out of the same shot glass twice!"

The Coloradan stared at the Texan and Californian, then chugged down his Coors, crumpled up the can, pulled out a gun, and shot both the Texan and the Californian, explaining, "In Colorado, we have so many Texans and Californians that we never drink with the same ones twice!"

(It was a Texan who first told me this joke, BTW)

Old 07-25-2013, 11:32 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,634,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
A Californian, a Texan, and a Coloradan were sitting around in a bar together and having a few drinks.

The Californian finished his white wine spritzer, threw his wine glass against the wall, shattering the glass to bits, and exclaimed "In California, we have so much money, we never drink out of the same wine glass twice!"

The Texan, not to be out-done, gulped his shot of Jack Daniels, threw his shot glass against the wall, and announced, "In Texas, we have so much sand that we never drink out of the same shot glass twice!"

The Coloradan stared at the Texan and Californian, then chugged down his Coors, crumpled up the can, pulled out a gun, and shot both the Texan and the Californian, explaining, "In Colorado, we have so many Texans and Californians that we never drink with the same ones twice!"

Love it. And so true...... sure are a lot of them!

Old 07-26-2013, 08:25 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,777,680 times
Apparently Idunn has not been to Farmington for awhile. Some people from Durango will chafe about it, but Farmington is the trade center for the Four Corners region--and has been for years. For all of its "yuppiness," Durango has deteriorated from a regional trade center to a "tourist trinket town." Farmington has become the regional trade center. Farmington, like it or not, has surpassed Grand Junction in population and is now, I believe, the second or third largest city in New Mexico. Farmington is also where most of the decent-paying jobs are in the Four Corners region. Farmington doesn't have the "yuppie vibe" that transplants seem to seek in Colorado, but the Farmington economy will likely still be chugging along quite nicely after the Durango economy hits the skids. As a Durango native told me years ago, "Durango is where the 'richie-riches' go to look cool, but Farmington is where people go to make a living."

Old 07-28-2013, 12:41 AM

13,291 posts, read 25,459,767 times
Maybe people go to Durango because the views and mountains and stuff are much prettier than Farmington. I know I would.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:55 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,634,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Maybe people go to Durango because the views and mountains and stuff are much prettier than Farmington. I know I would.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:20 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,984,910 times
I do not have really strong feelings pro or con on Farmington from having visited a couple of handfuls of times, but I will pass on something I ran across the other day. Of 948 urban areas in the country Farmington ranked 3rd highest for rate of out migration per 1000 population, that is the rate of new incomers coming in - current residents leaving. Farmington has a lot of folks stay and a fair number of them are having families so that its "natural increase" (births - deaths) is positive; but among folks with an itch to move, a lot more are moving out than in (compared to other places). It can work for many folks but not everyone or for long-term. To each according to their taste and / or what works for them at the time.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:51 PM

9,394 posts, read 18,231,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Farmington, like it or not, has surpassed Grand Junction in population and is now, I believe, the second or third largest city in New Mexico.
Correction - At 45,000, Farmington is the Sixth largest city in New Mexico trailing behind 5 other cities.

Albuquerque - 552,000
Rio Rancho - 90,000
Las Cruces - 76,000
Santa Fe - 68,000
Roswell - 48,000

Old 07-30-2013, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,140 times
Don't do it, I moved here a year ago and I can't wait to get out of here. The locals are rude, housing expensive, driving here is a nightmare. Everybody here is "shop local" and when you try to they don't have it or you'll pay double. Thank god for internet shopping. Downtown is very overrated, mostly college kids at night, never have figured how the bars can serve the college kids, I guess the city looks the other way. Local beer here is way over rated, Durango brews and Steamworks aren't bad but the other two locals suck at brewing beer.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:31 PM

9,394 posts, read 18,231,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanproud View Post
Don't do it, I moved here a year ago and I can't wait to get out of here. The locals are rude, housing expensive, driving here is a nightmare. Everybody here is "shop local" and when you try to they don't have it or you'll pay double. Thank god for internet shopping. Downtown is very overrated, mostly college kids at night, never have figured how the bars can serve the college kids, I guess the city looks the other way. Local beer here is way over rated, Durango brews and Steamworks aren't bad but the other two locals suck at brewing beer.
So then why aren't you in Texas (especially of you're so Texan proud)? Because clearly Durango and Colorado doesn't need you. I'm sure there would be a number of fine folks there that would be happy to show you the way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or