U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 08:05 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,636,221 times

Advertisements

If you are at all interested in National Parks, Durango sits on the edge of the Colorado Plateau which contains the largest number of national parks & monuments in the country. You're anywhere from 45 minutes to several hours from all of these attractions. It also sits between the desert & the San Juan Mountains so depending upon the weather and what activity you may be interested in from day to day, you're typically no more than 30-45 minutes from it whether you want the hotter dryness of the desert or the cooler climes of the mountains.

Living in Durango does require some tolerance of swarms of tourists and the accompanying noise & congestion. Unfortunately, they're a vital part of the economy here so you kind of grin & bear. It's what is around Durango along with the weather that makes it worthwhile for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 03:44 PM

5 posts, read 6,271 times
Don't let the surly lovers superfluous post's dissuade you. Durango is a great place to live, hands down one of the top three small to medium sized towns in Colorado, in my opinion. If you are willing to get your hand's dirty, you should not have trouble finding work. Start looking on west slope craigslist if you have not already.

*Source: Lived in Durango / La Plata County 2006 - 2011.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:36 PM

7,170 posts, read 6,452,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
So what would you be doing without these idiot's $$$$$$$?

Really? Because you came across as having quite a chip on your shoulder in your first post.
I do what I need to do to make money and survive in my ever changing surroundings.We have been invaded by rich outsiders and I take all their money I can.But they bring ideas about social change and want to cleanse and sterilize locals with new laws and bans.I am going to raise my rates 10% tomorrow just to put up with them.Aint none of them Carpenters they need me more than I need them.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:49 PM

9,411 posts, read 18,259,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I do what I need to do to make money and survive in my ever changing surroundings.
Don't we all?

Quote:
We have been invaded by rich outsiders and I take all their money I can..
You seem ungrateful.

Quote:
But they bring ideas about social change and want to cleanse and sterilize locals with new laws and bans..
Ah yes, well the good old days will never return. This happens a lot of places, welcome to the 21st century.

Quote:
I am going to raise my rates 10% tomorrow just to put up with them.Aint none of them Carpenters they need me more than I need them.
If that's what you must do to grind your axe, though you still sound you have a bitter chip on your shoulder. Perhaps your insults and lack of gratitude will come across on Angie's List and they can find another carpenter in the area that actually appreciates their business.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 08-05-2013 at 09:10 PM..

Old 08-05-2013, 09:08 PM

Yeah I got a chip on my shoulder,I feel like a carney in my own area.My oldest daughter had to move to WY to teach as the new click don't hire locals ,my youngest is in Denver as they don't even hire local in law enforcement. Yeah welcome to the 21'st century with your money and clicks busting up local family's by shutting them out as hicks,not employable in our new progressive community. Ha what community quit stealing our words. This carney will survive till they tax me out. My daughters were both born at home guess I live in the wrong century and need to be removed asap to make room.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 16,535 times
My husband mentioned durango is now charging to recycle. Lol

Old 08-08-2013, 10:39 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,636,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemary View Post
My husband mentioned durango is now charging to recycle. Lol
This is a wrong headed move by the Durango city council to charge a 10 cent "tax" on plastic bags. Unfortunately this tax affects everybody in LaPlata County. While I agree that we should recycle these bags, to charge a tax on everybody that uses them is ludicrous and unfairly impacts rural residents in the county.

All other recycling is unaffected.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:51 PM

Ha Ha Ha on the post by caphillsea77 you mean the Angies list that puts in fake problems with your business and you can pay big bucks to get them removed,what a scam. never needed to go there I don't even advertise in the yellow pages. Word of mouth and great references floats my boat,only loosers and hardups go to puke Angies list. You youngins with your internet and apps crack me up. I am the real deal with 43 years on the job. don't need no stinkin Angies list to con and lie. google that crap website and see for yourself,pros stay far far away

Old 08-10-2013, 06:05 PM

4,699 posts, read 4,339,330 times
Quote:
Ha Ha Ha on the post by caphillsea77 you mean the Angies list that puts in fake problems with your business and you can pay big bucks to get them removed,what a scam. never needed to go there I don't even advertise in the yellow pages. Word of mouth and great references floats my boat,only loosers and hardups go to puke Angies list. You youngins with your internet and apps crack me up. I am the real deal with 43 years on the job. don't need no stinkin Angies list to con and lie. google that crap website and see for yourself,pros stay far far away
Actually, last time I checked, Angie's List wasn't that helpful for the 4 Corners, anyway. I don't think they tell lies, though.

Every job I've ever gotten out here has been word of mouth. People in this area like to do stuff the old fashioned way, I guess. When I did go into Durango once to put in an application for a job at Maria's Bookshop that I was incredibly well qualified for, they refused to even look at the first paragraph of my resume. I was just some idiot from crummy little Cortez in their eyes.

THAT incident turned me off of Durango big time. I wouldn't buy a book from Maria's if the well-being of the entire 4 Corners depended on it. Amazon is quick and easier and usually cheaper even with shipping added on.

They can keep Durango with its resort town prices, political correctness, and general snootiness. The place has become worse than Boulder.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:43 PM

Well Hi Rambler glad you are still around. the truth about Durango is getting out they did not even ban plastic bags they just taxed them.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ so what was the purpose of that? $$$$$$$$$$$$$Glad I shop in Mancos and Cortez and not that dump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or