U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 12:55 AM

4,697 posts, read 4,334,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Well Hi Rambler glad you are still around. the truth about Durango is getting out they did not even ban plastic bags they just taxed them.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ so what was the purpose of that? $$$$$$$$$$$$$Glad I shop in Mancos and Cortez and not that dump
Yeppers. Durango used to be a nice little town about a million years ago. But now all it has to offer is a Main Street lined with shops selling beads and fake antiques at insane prices. The town is surrrounded by gated communities like a wagon train circled up against an attack by the red skins. What? They think the Navajo will be dropping by to raid some of their polo ponies? If so, I hope the Navajo will let the rest of us around here join in the fun.

And God forbid that you are low on gas when trying to escape Durango for the real world, because you'd better have 20 pieces of silver to cross the hand of the service station owner with or else.

The P and D in Mancos has better meat at a better price than Durango's fancy grocery stores and you can find a place to live in Cortez without first having access to a trust fund.

You and I live in the better towns and we know it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 03:59 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,788,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krinklez View Post
Don't let the surly lovers superfluous post's dissuade you. Durango is a great place to live, hands down one of the top three small to medium sized towns in Colorado, in my opinion. If you are willing to get your hand's dirty, you should not have trouble finding work. Start looking on west slope craigslist if you have not already.

*Source: Lived in Durango / La Plata County 2006 - 2011.
That's only 40 years LESS than I've been quite familiar with Durango. As for "finding work", finding work is much more difficult in Durango than most places, but, more importantly, finding any work that will provide a livable income in comparison to Durango's overall living costs is extremely difficult.

Get this straight: what one finds in most rural Colorado resort towns is a bunch of people from someplace else who moved there with (maybe) enough money to live there independent of the local economy--most of them Greatest Generation or Baby Boomers. The generations coming after those are going to be pretty much shut out of that lifestyle, and, as the GG's and Boomers die off, there isn't going to be any plethora of cash-cow generations to replace them in places like Durango. That is when places like Durango will really begin their economic regression back to what they were about 75 years ago--relatively isolated places populated by people making a hardscrabble existence--if they are lucky.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:04 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,273,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 719guy View Post
A friend of mine is trying to get me a job down in Durango, I'm up in the Colorado Springs area.

I've been up here my entire life, and the only mountain-west areas I've been to are places like Frisco, Breck, Glenwood Springs, etc. Mainly directed at folks who have lived in the 'Springs or Pueblo areas who have moved to Durango... what do you like? What do you dislike? (though all commenters welcome - don't be shy!)

What's the school system like? What are employers like? Who are the major ones other than your chainmarts / walmart, etc?

Just hunting for information at this point. Appreciate any and all feedback.
Well, I hated it. I am not an outdoor person. I didn't like the altitude, the attitude or the humidity (or lack thereof). I did not like the student-centric mentality of most of the people who live there and I did not like the Californication that was going on.

The only good thing about it was the abundant wildlife which I enjoyed seeing. Elk, bears, prairie dogs everywhere. Other than that two thumbs down. YMMV

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-11-2013, 05:05 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,841,818 times
I liked Durango when I last visited 6 years ago Even had it on my short list of relocation possibilities. Real estate was out of my price range, so I moved on. Never felt a need to bash it because of that. Some people CAN afford to live there. Makes no difference to me wether they accumulated their wealth as a trust funder or the sweat of their brow, the latter of which is waaaaaaaaay over rated IMO.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:41 AM

20,845 posts, read 39,070,515 times
Quote:
Yeah I got a chip on my shoulder,I feel like a carney in my own area.My oldest daughter had to move to WY to teach as the new click don't hire locals ,my youngest is in Denver as they don't even hire local in law enforcement. Yeah welcome to the 21'st century with your money and clicks busting up local family's by shutting them out as hicks,not employable in our new progressive community. Ha what community quit stealing our words. This carney will survive till they tax me out. My daughters were both born at home guess I live in the wrong century and need to be removed asap to make room.
Here's a story from San Francisco that tells the same tale of woe.

Excerpt: "San Francisco is increasingly divided between young, wealthy tech workers and those who say they are being pushed out of a city they can no longer afford."

We couldn't afford a really nice house anywhere within 50 miles of DC, so we moved here upon retiring to get away from the traffic and high prices.

It always happens when an area grows and desirable places get bid up by those who can. I can't play at the high stakes tables so I play the 25-cent slots.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:25 PM

9,969 posts, read 6,269,347 times
My kid lived in Durango for a year and everything said here rings true. Three different jobs that year, low pay and a very different business atmosphere. Riddle this, a minority boss gives you heat for being too polite/friendly to the lowly Native American employees (his words - egads). Anywho, the kid moved on to a HR type job in a resort town in another western state. Apparently, there are a lot of meth-heads there and hiring good folks isn't easy. Of all things, a Durango company the kid interviewed with back then actually kept her resume. They called with a really good offer, so the kid is moving back. The job is close to 550 and 160, so looking at renting in Bayfield. Will it be better living in the Durango area this time? The pay certainly will be, but doubt the other stuff has changed.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:29 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,635,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I liked Durango when I last visited 6 years ago Even had it on my short list of relocation possibilities. Real estate was out of my price range, so I moved on. Never felt a need to bash it because of that. Some people CAN afford to live there. Makes no difference to me wether they accumulated their wealth as a trust funder or the sweat of their brow, the latter of which is waaaaaaaaay over rated IMO.
That's why we're building. The cost of existing homes is simply unjustified for what you get. I can build what I want for less and remain within my budget. Even though building has increased lately, there is still not enough construction to keep all of the trades busy.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
My kid lived in Durango for a year and everything said here rings true. Three different jobs that year, low pay and a very different business atmosphere. Riddle this, a minority boss gives you heat for being too polite/friendly to the lowly Native American employees (his words - egads). Anywho, the kid moved on to a HR type job in a resort town in another western state. Apparently, there are a lot of meth-heads there and hiring good folks isn't easy. Of all things, a Durango company the kid interviewed with back then actually kept her resume. They called with a really good offer, so the kid is moving back. The job is close to 550 and 160, so looking at renting in Bayfield. Will it be better living in the Durango area this time? The pay certainly will be, but doubt the other stuff has changed.
Nope.

The only benefit living in Bayfield will be a crowded big city type commute on ever crowded 160 between Bayfield and Durango. If you're lucky, you'll have lots of snow in the winter so you can slip slide your way into Durango every morning with the masses.

On the plus side you can become a member of the Durango self appointed elite and look down on everyone else in the Four Corners area. They will return the favor, since we are getting VERY tired of the condescending attitude of the La Plata County jet set. Your white boss will give you heat for being too friendly toward ANYONE - white or green from Dove Creek, Cortez, etc.

Durango has a number of slumlords who make a practice of renting to unsuspecting tenant/victims in the surrounding area. You would be amazed at some of the stories - all true. Ask around locally about any prospective landlord if renting outside the Durango area.

I drove through Durango on my way to Silverton yesterday and as usual, Durango only gets worse. Traffic jammed half way to Silverton, exclusive gated communities crawling up mountain sides, chic ski lodges - don't even bother to ask how much, rowdy rich kids on ATM's on the mountain trails outside of Durango, Violet Hummers that look like pimp-mobiles; the list is endless.

Bodo park is really a trip for Coloradans like me who lived in Durango back when (80's and before). Bodo is a maze of shops and businesses all built near the site of an old uranium mill. The tailings were lying around on the hillside on the west side of where Bodo is now. I watched the clean up efforts at the time from the rim of College Circle Drive up on the mesa where Ft. Lewis is located. Quite the production. I especially enjoyed it when the old smoke stack came crashing down in a cloud of (uranium?) dust. At the time, they assured us all was just fine. Maybe. I often wonder how many people who have businesses there know about this history of the place. *shrug* Probably no biggie, but I STILL don't like to go to the part of the Durango River Walk which is below and also somewhat west of Durango's very own toxic waste clean-up. Here we go from the DOE, and I quote: "Some residual contamination was left in place in two regions along the bank of the Animas River, in unreachable areas of windblown contamination adjacent slope of Smelter Mountain and in soils of the raffinate ponds area."

Just throwing that bit of local history in since I never see it mentioned these days. Some folks might like to know.

Anyhow, some folks ADORE Durango - especially ones with money to burn. But it's certainly not getting any "better."

I'm coming to loathe that town, but I'm a native Coloradan. Folks who are transplants - especially within the last 10 years or so seem to have a better opinion of it. I guess some people like that Colorado resort town shimmer that keeps making Durango ever more glitzy. I don't, as you can see from my location.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 08-17-2013 at 05:03 PM..

Old 08-17-2013, 06:47 PM

7,170 posts, read 6,449,848 times
I as a carpenter can tell you horror stories about the slum rentals in Durango,I worked on dozens where the poor college kids were paying 300 t0 500 a month for heat. The slumlords could care less!!Now there is a push in Durango for accessory dwelling units meaning housing college kids and the poor into sheds,garages,and old carriage houses.The greedy own Durango and 50% of it's housing is rentals already.Read the Durango Herald .com and see the truth.PS they just taxed plastic and paper bags at 10 cents a pop ,they are not banned just taxed for reasons no sane person could guess.$$$$$

Old 08-17-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I as a carpenter can tell you horror stories about the slum rentals in Durango,I worked on dozens where the poor college kids were paying 300 t0 500 a month for heat. The slumlords could care less!!Now there is a push in Durango for accessory dwelling units meaning housing college kids and the poor into sheds,garages,and old carriage houses.The greedy own Durango and 50% of it's housing is rentals already.Read the Durango Herald .com and see the truth.PS they just taxed plastic and paper bags at 10 cents a pop ,they are not banned just taxed for reasons no sane person could guess.$$$$$
Oh man, you should hear what a slumlord from Durango is trying to do to me and the rest of the tenants in a 4-plex here in Cortez. I live in (what used to be) a very nice neighborhood here. Among his many, many other atrocities this Durango absentee slumlord refuses to put even so much as a single drop of water on the yard. When slumlord bought this place, it had a nice yard and was well kept just like every single other neighboring homeowner's yard was.

Now this place is an eyesore that looks like something out of the set of a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western, kid you not. That lowers the property values for everyone else, but slumlord couldn't care less. He has another unit in Cortez that he treats exactly the same way. He wrings every penny he can out of these places without a single thought for the community. In effect, he is also wringing money out of Cortez home owners with lowered property values to cover his refusal to use any water on his property here. He treats us like pond scum, grabs the cash and heads straight back to Durango to live in his home with a LUSH GREEN LAWN in a snazzy gated community.

Here's the frosting on the cake. Water is included in our rent already. Not only doesn't he use that money for anything resembling water, he goes to each tenant individually and makes up some con story about how it was our fault that his water bill went up $50/mo and we'd better pay. We finallly started talking about it last week and discovered his game. So he gets $200/month EXTRA of his tenants hard earned money plus the $80 out of each of our rent checks that theoretically goes for water for a grand total of $320 + $200 = $520/month for a bare dirt yard. I think the dude puts it toward his coke bill.

I saw him strutting his stuff with Michele Obama when she was in Durango on a campaign swing last summer. I wanted to grab old Michele and bring her over here to Cortez so she could see for herself what that arrogant bastard was doing to "disposable" Cortez.

People on this board who wonder why we hate Durango so much should come out here to the REAL towns of the Four Corners where REAL Coloradans work for an honest living instead of living off trust funds and scams. Maybe open their eyes. Swear if I read one more post about how wonderful that dump is, think I'll puke.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 08-17-2013 at 08:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or