Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 08:31 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times

Advertisements

Durango was a cool town in the 70's now a fake town run by money and people run out of Boulder for being to rich and to liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 09:18 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Durango was a cool town in the 70's now a fake town run by money and people run out of Boulder for being to rich and to liberal.
No kidding. Durango wasn't too bad when I was there in the '80's, but you could tell it was already starting to go chi-chi. What astounds me is the shear arrogance of those people now-a-days. They act as if they're royalty and the rest of us are around for their convenience in case they should deign to whistle us in.

The very best thing about Sir Slumlord of Durango is his pretense of being an "environmentalist," trying to tell ME - of all people - about how his highness felt the serfs in Cortez should respond to the drought. I laughed in his face. Effer grew up in NYC before he went into hiding in Durango because the mob put a hit out on him - that's my theory. This "serf" thinks we should bring back the guillotine, maybe that might slap them down a little.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:33 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
"On the plus side you can become a member of the Durango self appointed elite"

My daughter calls them douchebags, doubt she will get invited.

I found the Bodo Park information interesting. I recall that name from reading about some Indian ruins that are now under water. I think they were the family who left some land (Ridge's Basin ??) to a conservation group in order to keep it natural and for folks to enjoy. The conservation group sold it to another group who in turn sold/gave it to the government. Of course, the government messed it up. I might be fuzzy on the details, but that's so bad. It's pretty darn rotten not to honor a families wishes.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:43 PM

Hey Rambler at least you don't have to live there in the madness,though your landlord exports the good life.I gave up and am redoing a Victorian in Mancos 2 doors down at a great cut in pay no more Durango work without a Kings Ransom. There are not many good Carpenters left who can afford to live there and the ones there all have grey hair .I will not miss making that right turn at the Double Tree on 160 poping a bud and yelling I'M OUTTA HERE!!! Yup I will Go back for a price and spend it all in Montezuma county as usual

Old 08-17-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"On the plus side you can become a member of the Durango self appointed elite"

My daughter calls them douchebags, doubt she will get invited.

I found the Bodo Park information interesting. I recall that name from reading about some Indian ruins that are now under water. I think they were the family who left some land (Ridge's Basin ??) to a conservation group in order to keep it natural and for folks to enjoy. The conservation group sold it to another group who in turn sold/gave it to the government. Of course, the government messed it up. I might be fuzzy on the details, but that's so bad. It's pretty darn rotten not to honor a families wishes.
Yeah Bodo left the land to be preserved,I hunted turkey and deer there in the 70's the DOW ran it then All gone now such a shame.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:34 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Hey Rambler at least you don't have to live there in the madness,though your landlord exports the good life.I gave up and am redoing a Victorian in Mancos 2 doors down at a great cut in pay no more Durango work without a Kings Ransom. There are not many good Carpenters left who can afford to live there and the ones there all have grey hair .I will not miss making that right turn at the Double Tree on 160 poping a bud and yelling I'M OUTTA HERE!!! Yup I will Go back for a price and spend it all in Montezuma county as usual
Excellent news! May all Montezuma County throw off the yoke of Durango oppression! I have to drive to Durango Monday for an interview to get a job in Cortez. How messed up is that? Then I have to drive up there again on Thursday for a doc appointment in Bodo park. Two trips to Durango in one week. I don't know if I can stand it. I can't imagine having to drive there everyday for a job. I was throwing hissy fits in Durango traffic when I was up there on Friday. They barely managed to get out of my way alive.

A Colorado cowgirl in a beat up pick up tops a Durango trust funder in a Hummer everytime!

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 08-18-2013 at 01:45 AM..

Old 08-22-2013, 03:52 PM

4 posts, read 17,748 times
[quote=Colorado Rambler;31010180]No kidding. Durango wasn't too bad when I was there in the '80's, but you could tell it was already starting to go chi-chi. What astounds me is the shear arrogance of those people now-a-days. They act as if they're royalty and the rest of us are around for their convenience in case they should deign to whistle us in.

I love this. Lol. Went with my husband to the dump once there was a line of people waiting their turn and some guy pulls up and starts yelling at my huaband to move. So my husband tells him to get in line with everyone else and the guy proceeds to yell at us. My husband finally snap almost started a fight, of course the guy wasnt from Durango. At that point my husband is telling him how hes tired of these rich people coming down to Durango thinking they deserve respect when they give none. Funny thing was afterward people were actually clapping and the guy did the walk of shame.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:35 PM

140 posts, read 139,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
Those Texans I complain about represent 37.5% of the tourist revenues in Durango so I can't complain too loud. Durango needs 'em.

Some of the stupid questions they ask really make you scratch your head though:

* At what altitude do deer turn into elk?
* Who put all the rocks in the river?
* Why did they put Mesa Verde so far from town?
* Who planted all of the flowers along the road on the way to Silverton?

Durango Herald published a recent article about this. One of our relatives here has worked at the visitors center for over 10 years and he will testify that people really ask questions like this. It just boggles the mind.

Im a Texas native and those are the stupidest questions I've ever heard. They have worlds of rocky rivers and flowery landscapes down there. Its what the whole states known for. Your relative obviously lost his passion for publishing actual material

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-29-2017 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: Fixing quoted material so it displays properly.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:03 AM

448 posts, read 813,289 times
You do realize that of Texas's 'flowery landscapes' were man-made projects, right? The state is covered with flowers in large part because human beings planted them there. Those flowers are also strongly associated with a specific individual - Lady Bird Johnson. Given most native Texans have that understanding and perspective, it's not an outrageous question to pose to denizens other states. Although I certainly understand why it would sound stupid to natives of Colorado. Wild flowers being, you know... wild.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:29 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Even dumber question: John Wayne Bobbitt (remember him?) visited a facility set among huge red flatirons-type rocks, the same kind that are well-known in Boulder and at Roxborough's Arrowhead Golf Course. He asked, "Who installed those rocks?"

In Durango specifically, those Texans asking about the rocks might have been asking who designed the whitewater kayaking playpark. Those projects do involve altering some features of the river, sometimes including boulders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado