U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 08:46 AM

140 posts, read 84,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
You do realize that of Texas's 'flowery landscapes' were man-made projects, right? The state is covered with flowers in large part because human beings planted them there. Those flowers are also strongly associated with a specific individual - Lady Bird Johnson. Given most native Texans have that understanding and perspective, it's not an outrageous question to pose to denizens other states. Although I certainly understand why it would sound stupid to natives of Colorado. Wild flowers being, you know... wild.
Flowers ADAPT to the landscapes theyre are in and that takes a very long time, millions of years. Sorry they didn't teach you that in...you know.....the 6th grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 08:54 AM

140 posts, read 84,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Even dumber question: John Wayne Bobbitt (remember him?) visited a facility set among huge red flatirons-type rocks, the same kind that are well-known in Boulder and at Roxborough's Arrowhead Golf Course. He asked, "Who installed those rocks?"

In Durango specifically, those Texans asking about the rocks might have been asking who designed the whitewater kayaking playpark. Those projects do involve altering some features of the river, sometimes including boulders.
Dumb people will ask dumb questions and you definitely have your share of those. Just your typical state-by-state bashing. I know a favorite saying up in Wyoming is that "you visit Colorado for the pretty mountains not the snobby people". Of course Im a veteran, my father was a veteran, and Ive had residency in 7 different states. So no, this kind of narrow minded self-entitlement doesn't impress me.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:54 AM

16 posts, read 13,848 times
Durango is just a whole different culture and way of living than the springs. Isolation is very real, Pagosa Springs and Farmington are your two largest nearby towns and even those lack a lot of amenities. The winter storms can be less severe but none the less they get buried. The schools are all over the place--some are rated extremely well and others are given awful scores. Small towns come with a few issues and you have to be into that vibe to live there year round.

Personally I LOVE Durango and have lived there, though now I am north of Denver specifically due to the isolation factor of Durango. The scenery, the historic downtown, the rivers, Silverton, the train, the college town vibe...I love all of it. I think downtown has grown considerably and will continue to do so. The job market is tough but they are in need of skilled professionals and if you are in the right field can earn a decent living.

You should do a bit of googling in terms of crime rates and school ratings. Statistics aren't everything but this is subject to personal experience so objective numbers may prove more helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or