U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:11 PM

43 posts, read 70,083 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is trying to get me a job down in Durango, I'm up in the Colorado Springs area.

I've been up here my entire life, and the only mountain-west areas I've been to are places like Frisco, Breck, Glenwood Springs, etc. Mainly directed at folks who have lived in the 'Springs or Pueblo areas who have moved to Durango... what do you like? What do you dislike? (though all commenters welcome - don't be shy!)

What's the school system like? What are employers like? Who are the major ones other than your chainmarts / walmart, etc?

Just hunting for information at this point. Appreciate any and all feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 08:22 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,635,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 719guy View Post
A friend of mine is trying to get me a job down in Durango, I'm up in the Colorado Springs area.

I've been up here my entire life, and the only mountain-west areas I've been to are places like Frisco, Breck, Glenwood Springs, etc. Mainly directed at folks who have lived in the 'Springs or Pueblo areas who have moved to Durango... what do you like? What do you dislike? (though all commenters welcome - don't be shy!)

What's the school system like? What are employers like? Who are the major ones other than your chainmarts / walmart, etc?

Just hunting for information at this point. Appreciate any and all feedback.
Google is your friend for most of that information. In terms of employers, Durango is a college town with the presence of Fort Lewis College there. There are a few low level jobs available there & since it is a state college, they are state jobs. Mercury Payment Systems is one of the bigger employers there. You can also find job openings in the classifieds on the Durango Herald's web site or Craigslist.

However, I hope you're not looking for anything high paying because wages are lower in Durango and jobs are not necessarily scarce but there are not a ton of jobs listed, mostly lower level stuff. More medical jobs available than anything else.

Good luck.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:30 PM

284 posts, read 617,335 times
Having grown up in Pueblo and lived in Durango for 2 years I can probably give you a good idea of what to expect.

Moving to a town the size of Durango from Colorado Springs may come with a little bit of culture shock. While the town has everything you need, you'll have to drive an hour to Farmington if you want a decent selection of restaurants and shopping. Durango is very isolated with regards to large cities as it is 8 hours from Phoenix and 7 hours from Denver. Albuquerque is 4 hours away, but I never had the desire to go down there for anything.

Don't let anyone kid you. Durango is a VERY expensive place to live. If I had renewed the lease on my 1-bedroom apartment in the Three Springs area before I moved last month, I would have been paying $850 a month. This is considered CHEAP for the Durango area. If you want to live within the city limits, be prepared to fork over at least $1,000 a month for a decent place. If you're willing to have a 20+ minute commute to town, you can find cheaper places in Bayfield, Ignacio, and other unincorporated parts of La Plata County.

I don't have any kids so I can't comment on the school system. The people who I worked with who had kids that attended schools in Durango never said anything overwhelmingly negative, though.

The biggest challenge will be finding an employer that will pay you enough to survive. The city and county are the biggest employers, and BP employs quite a few people as well. The town's economy is driven by tourism, and employers in the retail and hospitality industries aren't known to pay their employees above average salaries.

While tourism drives the town's economy, it can make life miserable for locals. Gas and groceries are more expensive, and while it may be pennies on the dollar, those pennies can add up over time. Parking in the downtown area is a nightmare and it's next to impossible to get into a restaurant on a Friday or Saturday night without having to wait 30+ minutes. I avoided shopping downtown altogether because most of those shops were geared towards the yuppy tourists and locals with a lot of money.

If you can afford it, Durango isn't a bad place to live. But keep in mind that the town has a very transitory population and there is a reason why many people who move to the area stay for a short period of time, like I did myself.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:35 PM

43 posts, read 70,083 times
Quote:
Google is your friend for most of that information
Yes, and as an IT guy, it's the first thing I turn to. But I posted here because I wanted someone to talk to me about their personal experiences. Call me foolish, but that's why I like BB's like CityData.

Let me state that I live in a smaller sub section of Colorado Springs, and I always have. Colorado Springs is more to me like Castle Rock is to Denver. I have two restaurants to pick from close by, and that's it. But I appreciate the effort!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:32 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,424,116 times
Have you used the search function here on city-data? There are tons of threads about Durango in the Colorado forum. Many of your questions have been answered in the numerous other threads. I'd start there. Sounds like Durango Bound has given you a great assessment though. I know I personally had 2 friends move there, stay 4 months and leave because they jobs they found were on call and they couldn't afford to live there.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:01 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,635,241 times
Everything is relative. Durango housing is 20% more expensive than where I'm coming from but taxes, gas, & food are considerably cheaper. You may not notice a big change other than housing if you're coming from the CO Spgs.

My average cost of living in Durango compared to western PA is about $600/mo less. That's a lot of money.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:57 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,935,380 times
Great post durango bound. That reminds me of many small cities. They find ways to have much lower wages for any given job, a higher percentage of the jobs are crap, and the cost of living is higher. I don't mind small cities, but the only ones I'd live in are close in proximity to a medium or large sized city. Attempting to move to a small city without a professional job lined up is horrible for the career, lifestyle, and often brings on debt because the awful labor that makes you ashamed to go to work also won't pay worth crap.

I'm grateful every day that I moved out of an awful small town with terrible employment prospects. (My small hell-hole was NOT Durango, and I have no beef with it. I just don't like cities that pay poorly for awful positions.)

Old 07-19-2013, 03:31 PM

4 posts, read 16,527 times
Alot of people move to durango thinking its so pretty untill u have to work 3 jobs to get by. No lie. I lived here for 7 years and im trying to move out. I originally lived on the navajo reservation but fell in love with a guy from durango. My husband was born and raised in durango and even he wants to move. He says durango never use to be like this, it use to be affordable. Now hes bitter towards the californians that move in cause most are driving up the housing market with them building their mansions. Other wise durango is nice, my daughter goes to sunnyside and loves it.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:38 PM

4 posts, read 16,527 times
What i love is the outdoor activites. Theres alot of mountain biking and hiking. The school system is better thab farmingtons. Basically for employment it's who u know not what u know. My husbands family is well known to the locals so word travels around for possible employement and cheap housing. A rental down town has actually gotten more expensive. Affordable is 1400 a month down town but this is a 2-3 bedroom house. I got my rental for 850 for a 3 bedroom 2 bath with a basement a major steal here.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:00 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,785,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
Everything is relative. Durango housing is 20% more expensive than where I'm coming from but taxes, gas, & food are considerably cheaper. You may not notice a big change other than housing if you're coming from the CO Spgs.

My average cost of living in Durango compared to western PA is about $600/mo less. That's a lot of money.
And I'll bet if you actually had to work for a living in the Durango economy--which you obviously do not have to (unlike a lot of posters on this forum)--you would likely find salaries at about half of what you were accustomed to.

Most of the people dreaming about living in areas like Durango actually have to worry about being able to make a living in the local economy, while most of the "residents" (which, apparently, is anybody who has lived there more than a month) who answer their posts on this forum are the people who DON'T have to worry about making a living in the local economy. There is a real disconnect there--one that essentially deceives people about the real economic challenges of making a living in places like Durango. Sort of the like the guy who was born on third base and thinks that he got a triple telling the young rookie at bat at home plate how easy it is to get a hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or