Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:44 AM

8 posts, read 48,221 times

Advertisements

I am planning to relocate from the Jacksonville, FL area to the Denver area within the next 6-12 months (hopefully). Working in Longmont and interested in residing in the Boulder Valley area somewhere between Superior extending east to Erie. My fiancee will more than likely be working in Denver or possibly these northern suburbs within the next few years so this seems to be an ideal location for both of us. Things we are looking for: An area with a strong sense of community (friendly people, comm. center, family events, etc), good schools (kids 1 & 6), affordable housing (we are in the $400k-$450k range), short commutes (work, shopping, mountains, trails, etc) and low crime rate. In our lone trip to Denver, we really like the Superior/ Louisville area but are interested in Lafayette and Erie as well. My question is what are the Pro/ Con's of residing in the Superior/ Louisville area over the Erie area? In doing my housing research it seems that you get a little more bang for your buck in Erie but I was wondering what the drawbacks are? Any info would be helpful, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 09:57 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,997,749 times
Drawback to Erie includes fracking near the elementary schools.
Fracking operation in Erie begins near two elementary schools, wakes up neighborhood | The Colorado Independent

Drawback to Superior includes being near Rocky Flats.
Study: Rocky Flats area still as contaminated with plutonium as 40 years ago - Boulder Daily Camera

Louisville is a good choice.

Lafayette is also a good choice as they are addressing their water availability problem.
http://www.dailycamera.com/lafayette...e-water-supply

You might want to also consider Broomfield and northern Westminster.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the links mic111 and I will definitely take a look at those areas.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:45 AM

1,260 posts, read 2,032,720 times
Boulder County Commissioners just approved the lifting of the fracking moratorium in Boulder County after June 10th. So, fracking around Lafayette is certainly a possibility. East Boulder County United | Stopping fracking in Boulder County and beyond through grassroots political organizing

Old 05-22-2013, 11:08 PM

399 posts, read 813,885 times
Commute and traffic are what I base my housing decisions on but that's because I don't have children. Did you get a feel for the traffic at different times of the days when you traveled out here? US-36 jams up at different parts during the regular rush hours of 7-10AM MDT and 3-6PM MDT. US-287, Arapahoe Road, Baseline Road, South Boulder Road also see a lot of traffic at similar times.

In the morning Boulder sees a lot of incoming traffic and vice versa in the afternoon. US-287 has a lot of traffic both ways. Anyone who commutes from the Boulder county area (which includes Lafayette, Superior, Louisville, and parts of Erie) to Denver will see incoming traffic either way.

As far as community goes, I'd have to say Superior, Louisville, and Erie win over Lafayette. At least as far as community get together and whatnot like fairs. Where you find a house will change your minor commutes to the market and whatnot so I can't comment very well without a general neighborhood to start from. Louisville and Superior have a lot more to offer than Lafayette in my opinion. Although Erie is just a bit more lacking when it comes to malls, supermarkets, department stores, etc.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the insight sobe. My schedule is shiftwork based, so I tend to miss peak traffic because my work commute is primarily between 1230-130 for afternoon shifts and 530-630 for morning shifts. I currently drive 45 miles (50-55 min) now without hitting much traffic and don't want a commute over 30 mins. The traffic you described, does that include north towards Longmont as well? As far as neighborhoods, we are interested in Rock Creek (Superior), Vista Ridge (Erie), still researching Louisville and Anthem (Broomefield). I kind of got the same vibe from Lafayette so we're unsure about that location. Any other recommendations would be welcome, thanks again.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:08 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,650,454 times
Is there a reason you're not considering Longmont itself? From what I gather, it's a pretty nice community.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:30 AM

We were hoping for someplace between Denver and Longmont because of the idea of short commutes to Denver for entertainment, sporting events, etc with the thought that Denver would more than likely be where my fiancée will work. In short, we were thinking of a halfway point. For whatever reason we have not thought of living in Longmont even though I'll be working there lol. I will definitely research the area and way our options, thanks for the recommendation.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:02 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,923,161 times
What part of Longmont will you be working in?

I'd be very careful with Rock Creek. Both people I know who live there have had major foundation issues.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:16 PM

Jkcoop, I will be working off of 17th Ave just west of N 107th, not sure what that area is called honestly. Thanks for the information on the foundation issues, we are also skeptical of the Rocky Flats situation and possible nuclear waste situation that mic111 pointed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area