U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 04:50 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,034,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
% of women:

US: 50.8%
Selected states:
CA: 50.3%
NE: 50.3%
TX: 50.4%
IL: 50.9%
OH: 51.2%
NY: 51.5%
FL: 51.1%

Florida QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

CO has far more males by comparison.
Age may be what's skewing the statistics. I think CO probably has fewer older folks, who tend to be more heavily female. If you control for age, I'll bet CO is on par with most other states and the national average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 01:00 PM

811 posts, read 1,224,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_im_sean View Post
What gives?
In the larger metro areas of the front range, there's no difference, really. I moved to Denver in '96 as a single twentysomething male with a halfway decent personality and was literally amazed at the vast numbers of single, intelligent, attractive, NICE twentysomething women, many/most of whom had moved to Denver after graduating college in some flat midwestern state. It was just incredible, and I suspect it still is. Happily for me, I married one of them (who happened to be a Colorado native) and am still running around Colorado causing trouble, in a family-friendly sort of way.

I have however heard anecdotal stories of a gender imbalance in the smaller expensive mountain resort towns (think, e.g. Crested Butte, Breckenridge, etc.) where young outdoor-adventure-seeking males flock to be poor and climb, ski, etc. These kids do not seem to find a similar percentage of "hoping to be poor, have a dog, and climb forever" females who share the hedonistic dream. Not exactly surprising, that. Not that there's anything wrong with wanting to crash on a couch surrounded by empties in a bachelor pad for several decades chasing powder, climbing routes, and chicks. I can just sort of mentally grasp why these dudes stay perma-single if they're never willing to come down to the Front Range, put on a tie, and experience the horror of a mortgage payment and lawnmower.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:28 PM

346 posts, read 392,181 times
Perhaps they're holding out for a trustafarian of the opposite sex?

Old 05-24-2013, 08:47 PM

811 posts, read 1,224,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnJam View Post
Perhaps they're holding out for a trustafarian of the opposite sex?
Probably true, in many cases. Forgive me my personal opinion, but I'm pretty convinced holding out for a trustafarian of the opposite sex (or any gender) is a terrible idea and recipe for personal disaster. Relying on other people to provide your means of support is a very dangerous proposition, likely to have bad results, like walking out over thin ice. I'm just one of these self-sustaining types though who doesn't climb or backcountry ski so I probably just don't "get it."

Old 05-25-2013, 08:24 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,939,017 times
There are less older people in Colorado. Women have a longer life expectancy. If you compare percent of men vs women that are 80+, you'll find the women easily out number the men. Since the high elevation reduces oxygen, many old people are instructed to move to another state so they don't have severe complications.

That would be about enough to offset the difference in total males vs females in Colorado.

Why do men want to live out here? The girls are much prettier (Obesity is at a much lower rate in Colorado) The sun is shining, the military tells them to move here, and all around the weather is just great for being outside (which is one of the reasons for the healthier population)

I suspect many women want to live out here for the exact same reason.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:31 AM

206 posts, read 210,073 times
No it is sadly true, Denver is known for it's sausage festivals.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:21 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,011,602 times
Some of the best looking women anywhere routinely jog around Wash Park. Though I dig the surf Bettys ,have nothing against the sports bra, form fitting jogging short shorts and rock hard abs Denver women. How's that for objectified sexism? There are women.. lots of great looking women in Denver.

Last edited by Scott5280; 05-25-2013 at 11:34 AM..

Old 05-25-2013, 12:25 PM

20,853 posts, read 39,085,412 times
I'm not sure if or how the military populations in any given state are cranked into the totals, or not cranked into them.

Colorado is one of those states with large military populations. IIRC there are at least 30,000 active duty soldiers at Fort Carson, mostly males. Many thousands more at all the USAF sites here too. If these people are counted into the state's population, than COLO would seem to be overweighted with males.

On the other hand, states like UT, ID, MT, OR, NY, etc have little military presence. Even California has seen most of its large military bases BRAC'd out of existence since the Vietnam and cold wars ended.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:55 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,034,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I'm not sure if or how the military populations in any given state are cranked into the totals, or not cranked into them.

Colorado is one of those states with large military populations. IIRC there are at least 30,000 active duty soldiers at Fort Carson, mostly males. Many thousands more at all the USAF sites here too. If these people are counted into the state's population, than COLO would seem to be overweighted with males.

On the other hand, states like UT, ID, MT, OR, NY, etc have little military presence. Even California has seen most of its large military bases BRAC'd out of existence since the Vietnam and cold wars ended.
Here are stats from 2009 on that:

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0509.pdf

Surprisingly, NY has almost as many as CO but out of a much larger population. Here are the rules on how they're counted:

http://www.census.gov/population/www...sid_rules.html

One other factor may be immigrants who tend to skew heavily toward single men. However, as our population ages in place (the U.S. is much less mobile than it used to be) and growth occurs more from indigenous births than immigration, I would expect gender differences to narrow. I wouldn't worry about CO turning into China or Alaska.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 05-25-2013 at 05:15 PM..

Old 05-25-2013, 05:21 PM

20,853 posts, read 39,085,412 times
CAVA, thanks for the links. I forgot that Fort Drum, NY is home to the Army's 10th Mtn Div, with 18,000 soldiers on-post and adds to the count in NY.

The link for Census calculations show that military personnel are counted where they "live and sleep" on a daily basis.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or