U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 09:46 AM

431 posts, read 2,555,191 times

Advertisements

I am not a boater but my son-in-law and daughter are and go to Pueblo Reservoir all summer. Hot, sure, so they use a canopy and swimsuits.They winterize and store the boat in winter. The other day in the Pueblo paper was a picture of a sail boat on the water there altho a great deal of the reservoir is frozen. So I guess the state does not give restrictions. It is located in Pueblo West on the prairie/plains. Mostly shale banks. Not what I would call a pretty lake, not much vegetation. Blue Mesa is a long ways from Denver but it large and pretty. Located on the Gunnison River, Black Canyon area on the Western sloop. Much cooler in summer. I love the Gunnison area. Especially in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 10:05 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,557,481 times
The State of Colorado DOES have restrictions on boating in the winter.....they shut down the boat ramps if there is ice on Chatfield or Cherry Creek. There are times during the winter months, the State does open the ramps, but generally for a very short time. Besides that, once a boat is put on the lake, I'm told that it is no longer "winterized" and the engine could freeze up if cold weather would return.
To get on the lake at one of our State Parks, you either have to buy a yearly pass or pay an entrance fee each time you go. We bought the pass to save us money and so we wouldn't have to wait in a line to pay each time. The boat/trailer also must show current registration for the year or a Ranger will issue a ticket.
The only "big" body of water that we have had our boat on was Horsetooth Lake (Reservior) in Fort Collins. That body of water is really deep compared to Chatfield or Cherry Creek. But, the trout fishing is absolutely great on Chatfield during July/Aug......rainbows go wild!
If you want to know anything about Colorado fishing, go to Coloradofisherman.com forum in the Internet.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:38 AM

18 posts, read 115,269 times
Thanks, everybody, for the information.

For boats that stay in the water during the winter, you have to winterize all the freshwater systems, head systems, a/c and heat systems, engines, and the onboard generator. This can all be done in the water. At that point the boat just waits out the winter in the water, but cannot be used without having to rewinterize all the systems, which is expensive.

If the water freezes around the boat, we use bubblers, which are basically submersible pumps that circulate warm water from the bottom and spray it on the surface, which prevents water from freezing around the hull and damaging the boat. That is how boats are kept safe during the winter in freezing climates. Alternatively, some people just haul the boat, winterize it, and store it.

It sounds like we'll end up on Lake Pueblo.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:05 PM

14,457 posts, read 22,290,695 times
I live about as close to Pueblo Reservoir as I did Chatfield. Whenever I drive along C-470 in the summer, I can't imagine being out on that over-crowded and human-waste-infested pond that is Chatfield Reservoir.

Pueblo Reservoir is perhaps a bit bigger and I would say a good bit less crowded so far, but the last few years the drought has been so bad that they've lost a lot of surface area. Just look at John Martin! We need to keep praying for snow. Especially up in the mountains!

Blue Mesa, now we're talking about a real lake and not a pond. Good fishing too.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I live about as close to Pueblo Reservoir as I did Chatfield. Whenever I drive along C-470 in the summer, I can't imagine being out on that over-crowded and human-waste-infested pond that is Chatfield Reservoir.

Pueblo Reservoir is perhaps a bit bigger and I would say a good bit less crowded so far, but the last few years the drought has been so bad that they've lost a lot of surface area. Just look at John Martin! We need to keep praying for snow. Especially up in the mountains!

Blue Mesa, now we're talking about a real lake and not a pond. Good fishing too.
Sorry to hear you say that about Chatfield, but there are plenty of folks like us that really like that beautiful Reservoir. As far as being "over-crowded", what do you expect???????? It and Cherry Creek are the only lakes/reservoirs you can ski on in the area. As far as "human-waste-infested", you could say that about any lake/reservoir in the U.S. that allow people on them.
You are entitled to your opinion, but we strongly disagree with it and we are sure that a lot of the folks that have tons of fun on that water would also.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:35 PM

20,809 posts, read 38,972,727 times
Default What about Grand Lake, up in the mountains....

....was up there last September, simply beautiful. The locals up there told me it was a very deep lake, and natural too, not man-made. For all my pix of Grand Lake, go to: http://tinyurl.com/ywxko3 (broken link)

Old 02-01-2007, 04:04 PM

108 posts, read 343,890 times
Default Or for a larger lake

Navajo lake is not that far for an extended summer trip.
Extends almost 30 miles into New Mexico.
http://www.navajolake.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Boating in Colorado-dscf0011.jpg  

Old 02-01-2007, 04:53 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,058,636 times
You didn't mention the size of your boat, but there are a good number of options in the region for a powerboat up to about 30' requiring facilities.

Pueblo Res is good for the longest season, as early as March some years and extending through to October. It's pretty barren aound the shoreline, but offers some coves and sheltered spots to get away and relax.

Dillon Res, about 1 hour away from Littleton at Dillon, is good for a summer season, May-September. Good options for a mooring or a slip, lots of shoreline to enjoy up in the mountains. Can get pretty cold at night, it's at a high elevation. Worth the trip for 4th of July weekend if you're into fireworks over the water. Has a crane for your boat, full service marina, etc.

Lake McConnaughy is by Ogallala NE. 30 miles x 5 miles, it has coves on the South Shoreline and sandy beaches on the North side. Unfortunately, water demands and the drought over the last few years have kept it to a puddle, so it's not usable right now. But, that may change with a couple of good years of regional moisture.

We used to keep a 32' trailer launched keel sailboat (drawing 7') on these lakes through the sailing season, and raced all types of dinghys, J-24's, Stars .... on many of the mountain lakes. Be aware that the winds can be very strong at times, and come up and down througout the day many times.

The mountain lakes water is very cold all year long, and hypothermia is a risk even in the middle of summer. Water contact sports (skiing, swimming) are prohibited on the waters used for domestic supply.

Chatfield and Cherry Creek, while OK for smaller boats, fishing, beach swimming, and water skiing, are so crowded these days as to be unpleasant if you're seeking to relax on the water.

By Fort Collins, there's Horsetooth Res, which is large enough for a decent sized boat. Full service marina, too. Nearby is Carter Lake, a bit smaller, and you'll have to trailer launch there. The adjacent mountains are a nice view, but the lakeshore is pretty stark, being carved out of the mountain rock.

Grandby Res, up by Grand Lake, is also suitable for your purpose. Marinas, and coves on the shoreline. Good Fishing, a more sizable lake without all the commotion of the res's in the Denver metro area.

Regionally, there's a lot of lakes within a modest distance. Glendo in Wyoming, several more just into New Mexico ....

Most people don't keep boats larger than 30' around here due to launching, space, cost, and shallow water as the irrigation demands drain the lakes down through the season. The boating experience will probably seem a little mundane after the Chesapeake area ... but it is worthwhile if you're used to being out on the water.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:41 PM

Please Note: For the last two summers that we have gone to Chatfield, we have seen numerous big boats in the No Wake area and people enjoying themselves relaxing there. We also "beach" our boat and relax on the shore there. Like I said in a previous post, the water traffic does get pretty busy in the afternoons, but in the mornings fishing/relaxing in the No Wake area or "beaching" the boat and relaxing is totally nice. Actually, from where you are moving from, you won't find any large bodies of water like in Chespek in the Denver metro area or even in Colorado period. The closet body of water that is that big would be in Nebraska. At least that is what we think.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:14 PM

14,457 posts, read 22,290,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Sorry to hear you say that about Chatfield, but there are plenty of folks like us that really like that beautiful Reservoir. As far as being "over-crowded", what do you expect???????? It and Cherry Creek are the only lakes/reservoirs you can ski on in the area. As far as "human-waste-infested", you could say that about any lake/reservoir in the U.S. that allow people on them.
You are entitled to your opinion, but we strongly disagree with it and we are sure that a lot of the folks that have tons of fun on that water would also.
I said what I said and meant what I meant. It's a fact, not an opinion. Back in the late 90's they found gobs of human waste at the bottom of that lake. That's why we did our open water dive training in King Fisher Pond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or