U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 17,209 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone - where is the best skiing and boating? I'd like to have a ski area in my back yard and a big lake in my front yard.

What town or city have I just described?

Thanks!

G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 03:49 PM

20,843 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Default Grand Lake, CO

I'm not familiar yet with all of CO, but it sounds like Grand Lake to me. It is not that far to Winter Park.... s/mike

Old 10-10-2006, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 17,209 times
Thanks for the quick reply and picture!

When it comes to skiing, where is the best place to live? Any cities nearby?

Old 10-10-2006, 06:17 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,902,628 times
Summit County is pretty spectacular for skiing. (Breckenridge, Keystone, Arapahoe Basin all on the free shuttle if memory serves me correctly). Then close drive to Copper and Vail.

Lived most of my youth weekends up there. Also there's Dillon reseviour which I can't spell for crap.

As for other good boating, Pueblo, Blue Mesa and good river rafting on the Arkansas. Those are an excursion though from most ski areas.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:47 PM

220 posts, read 711,928 times
Default Powerboating in Colorado

Are there any lakes or reservoirs within an hour or two of Denver that a 26' powerboat wouldn't be overkill on? Debating whether to sell the current boat here or bring it out with me. Thank you.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:45 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,594,155 times
People do put fairly big boats on Chatfield Lake (470/Wadsworth), which is about an hour south, southwest of Denver.....but, Chatfield is still pretty small for a 26 footer. Cherry Creek is an even smaller lake (reservoir) and is about an hour south of Denver. Horsetooth, in Fort Collins (about a 2 hour drive north of Denver) is about 8 miles long, but not to wide. It could handle a 26 footer though. Our fising/ski boat is only 16 foot long, so we don't have any kind of problems anywhere we go.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:00 AM

18 posts, read 115,351 times
Default Lake Pueblo/CO boating

We are relocating to Denver in a couple weeks. We'll be living in Littleton. We are avid boaters, and I am trying to decide whether to bring our boat with us or leave it here (VA) to be sold.

Can anybody tell me anything about boating on Lake Pueblo? What is the usual boating season, keeping in mind our boat is a live-aboard with air, heat, galley, etc., so we can typically extend the seasons more than smaller boaters who are only into water sports.

Would driving from Littleton (470 and Santa Fe) to Lake Pueblo be practical a couple times a month?

My first reaction was to leave the boat here and take up other hobbies, but I see there is a large boat dealer on 470 (MarineMax) in Denver, selling cruisers like ours up to 60', so somebody must be using these boats around there.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:21 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,594,155 times
We have a 16' Invader fishing/ski boat and most of the time have gone to Chatfield Lake (Reservior) almost every weekend during the summer. The earliest we have put or boat on Chatfield was April 22 last year. We have Fall coats on and the water was pretty cold, but we still cruised around the lake a few times.
We have seen a number of big "live-in" type boats on Chatfield, but it really isn't that big of a "water" to do to much on a big one except go to the No Wake area and relax.
Pueblo is a nice size lake, but is a distance from Littleton. We have been to Pueblo before, but never to put our boat on it. One thing for sure, there is NO shore shade and it can get mighty hot there during the summer.
We are planning on moving to the Charlotte, NC area, but plan on selling our boat here before we go. It could be a real "pain" hauling a boat from the Denver metro area (where we live) to Charlotte. Anyway, we want to sell our boat and get another one with a "cuddy cabin" when we get to NC.
Don't know how populated the lakes in VA get in the summer, but here, during the noon hours it can get really heavy. We only go during the early morning hours (get there around 8AM) when there is a lot less traffic.
Need more info, either ask me in the Forum or send us a PM.
Good Luck

Old 02-01-2007, 08:36 AM

18 posts, read 115,351 times
Thanks, LB. It appears that Pueblo is about our only decent choice, because we need a slip with power, water, cable, etc, and we also need a marina with a lift, fuel, pump-out facilities.

Here, we keep our boat on Chesapeake Bay, so crowds on the water are not a problem. However, crowds at the fuel docks, restaurants, etc. are a HUGE problem, so we're accustomed to that. Usually, we spend the whole weekend on the boat, arriving Friday evening and staying through to Sunday afternoon. So, we can be flexible about the crowds.

I'm leaning towards bringing it there and trying it for a year or two.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:07 AM

210 posts, read 1,257,424 times
Pueblo is about 2-2.5 hours from Littleton, so I think going there a couple times a month could be feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or