U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 11:37 AM

636 posts, read 2,093,049 times

Advertisements

I mean, assuming you were at the top of your price range, were in your desired area, and it came down to a bigger house with more bells and whistles, or a smaller house on say a half acre lot, which would you be likely to buy?

I'm curious because we have always bought smaller houses on bigger lots, even if it meant having 2 baths instead of 3. My realtor says most people prefer the bigger house with say, a spa-like master bath, than a big lot. I'm just wondering how many people agree with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 11:43 AM

357 posts, read 1,152,111 times
for me it's the lot. I'm looking at a stack of houses now that are just lovely but the lot's too small so i've rejected them. if I don't get at least .25 acre minimum with a certain amount of space between homes, then forget it. That seems to rule out quite a few homes, esp in HR, and surrounding areas. I hate that houses are so close you need dental floss to clean between them. ick.

that said, I need a minimum size house too and i'm searching for that as well. couple that with other needs (commute, diversity etc) and we're talking a fun real estate search, lol.

still, the lot size is absolutely the first thing that I search for.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:50 AM

636 posts, read 2,093,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaCACO View Post
for me it's the lot. I'm looking at a stack of houses now that are just lovely but the lot's too small so i've rejected them. if I don't get at least .25 acre minimum with a certain amount of space between homes, then forget it. That seems to rule out quite a few homes, esp in HR, and surrounding areas. I hate that houses are so close you need dental floss to clean between them. ick.

that said, I need a minimum size house too and i'm searching for that as well. couple that with other needs (commute, diversity etc) and we're talking a fun real estate search, lol.

still, the lot size is absolutely the first thing that I search for.
Sounds like we are in the same boat Lisa. That's why we ruled out HR actually. Have you looked at west Lakewood and Arvada?

Old 11-03-2007, 12:47 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,766,015 times
I like a small house. My preference for lot sizes varies, depending on setting, vistas, walkability, and community amenities (parks, etc.). I'd take a small house on a tiny lot in Golden over a McMansion in the suburbs any day!

Old 11-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Jun

3 posts, read 7,402 times
Depends what your thinking. A nice ranch house located in Golden is the best choice because it has the good view and also 5 to 10 minutes to denver and 20-30 minutes to Boulder.

--Jun

Old 11-04-2007, 06:55 PM

24,839 posts, read 30,100,106 times
We bought in HR and it came down to big house on 4500 sf lot or smaller house on 8100 sf lot. We chose the lot over the house. You can change the house (add on, finish the basement), but you can't change the size of your lot.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:10 PM

1,209 posts, read 4,257,232 times
It's all a personal preference and economics. Some folks don't have the option to choose. We've known people who want a small lot for the ease of upkeep. I can see the benefits of both, but prefer a little room. Our lot is .6 acre and is just right for us. We still have a neighborhood feel with kids and folks walking dogs and stuff. We looked at larger lots, but it felt a bit isolated.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:55 PM

260 posts, read 1,332,204 times
This is one reason we left HR. We moved to CR and found the house and the lot.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:53 PM

320 posts, read 1,604,561 times
15 years ago a bigger house in a nicer area was our preference. Now we have kids and are looking at decent size house(3000 Sq Feet+) but no less than 1 acre for the lot. We're not going to be in the metro area but we also liking that fact. a bit out town with neighbors BUT not to close.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:09 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,550,538 times
I want a tiny house, small lot, minimal taxes, scant utilities, frugal furnishings, no mortgages.

So I can---------livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado