Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 05:09 PM

64 posts, read 67,034 times

Advertisements

OP DID YOU MOVE IF SO TELL US WHAT ITS LIKE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 07:42 PM

40 posts, read 179,016 times
*completely forgot about this old thread*

Still in the works. Did a nice three week tour; started on the southern part of Denver and worked my way south through Colo Springs, spent half the time in Pueblo, and visited down to Trinidad just for kicks. Enjoyed Pueblo the most; traffic was easy, and the people were friendly. I live a quiet, sedate lifestyle, so I don't need all the attractions of more urban areas.

While in Pueblo, talked to four hotel managers, got good vibes from all of them, one outright offer from a chain I'm already in. The pay is low considering the rest of CO, but it's better then what I'm making in Arkansas. I have no debts, no kids, and a nice chunk of cash... don't have to work for over a year if I choose. Currently training my replacement for over three weeks, leaving on good grounds with my boss, and he said I can come back if "they all turn out to be devil worshipers over thar".

Haven't decided on renting or driving my tank of an RV yet. Living in a RV park is the cheapest way to go at first, but I've studied Colorado's RV taxes, registration and licensing fees very closely. May end up being cheaper and more comfortable just renting. Rent is about the same as northeast Arkansas, and MUCH cheaper then northwest Arkansas.

I have studied the separate district breakdowns of crime, unemployment, median income levels, etc of the Pueblo and Pueblo West areas. I'm planning on residing in the western/northern parts of Pueblo or Pueblo West.

To be absolutely clear, I'm setting my expectations low. If this turns out better then expected, then all the better. If it all goes down in spectacular flames, I'll let you all know, even if it's just for your entertainment.

Can't wait to see the expression on the faces of the high plains citizenry when they see me pickin' on my mountain dulcimer.

Last edited by alostbard; 01-07-2014 at 08:03 PM..

Old 01-07-2014, 08:13 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alostbard View Post
Haven't decided on renting or driving my tank of an RV yet. Living in a RV park is the cheapest way to go at first, but I've studied Colorado's RV taxes, registration and licensing fees very closely. May end up being cheaper and more comfortable just renting.
A couple things to consider:

1. As a previous poster said, a landlordmight have an issue with you growing in his/her house.

2. If you intend on using your RV solely as a dwelling (i.e. not driving it on public roadways), then you may not need to register it with the state's DMV. Check with an attorney (I'm not one) so that you can make an informed decision.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
A couple things to consider:

1. As a previous poster said, a landlordmight have an issue with you growing in his/her house.

2. If you intend on using your RV solely as a dwelling (i.e. not driving it on public roadways), then you may not need to register it with the state's DMV. Check with an attorney (I'm not one) so that you can make an informed decision.
1. Yeah, I won't even consider growing if I rent. I assumed that most landlords wouldn't allow grow ops. ONLY if I eventually purchase my own property.

2. Interesting, haven't thought of that. Thanks for the input

Old 01-07-2014, 08:22 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Welcome to Colorado. Doesn't sound like you will go down in flames. Living below one's means is always smart and it sounds like you do that. Having marketable skills, savings and a job offer is the perfect way to make a move.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:48 AM

670 posts, read 1,053,107 times
alostbard, you won't be alone picking on your mountain dulcimer, if you are here in February you could check this out:

Colorado Dulcimer Festival -

Also Colorado Springs has a dulcimer club that might interest you, Serendipity Peak Dulcimer Club which also has a branch that meets in Westcliffe and one in Canon City.
Home Page

Old 01-10-2014, 08:59 PM

19 posts, read 31,193 times
Hope you have a easy time with your move!

Colorado is beautiful.

We went this last August and scouted areas because my husband is going to get his engineering degree in FoCo. We are just so happy with the area and will be there in June.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:41 AM

802 posts, read 984,230 times
Your posts suggest to me that you are ideally positioned to succeed in the CO hospitality field. I would advise thinking about running your own enterprise. A simple B & B might be fun to set up and operate. Of course, operating your own tour or tour services is another possibility. Other opportunities might lie in buying a small, cheap motel and remodeling/marketing for cannabis tourists. I can visualize a local chain of such motels in one urban area or multiple rural locations if any are likely to welcome such visitors. It might not be difficult to attract venture capital if your own resources are not that deep and you don't mind partners. A good business plan and presentation will make it easy for investors to consider you a sound investment. You may already know all this. Good luck and welcome!

Old 01-11-2014, 07:35 PM

Thank yo SO much for the ego boost, highplainsrus! We'll see what the future holds.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:57 PM

3 posts, read 4,240 times
I am getting ready to hit the "Buy it Now" button on Ebay, for land in Colorado and I hope and pray I won't be sorry!!! The land is a 5 acres tract near the Rio Grande River, and near the town of San Luis (near the Taylor Ranch) in Costilla County..with beautiful mountain views from the property! My concern is that I had originally planned to buy land in Nevada, and good reason was that there was no mosquito problems in Nevada (especially for my dogs getting heartworm). Currently, we live in Florida where they are abundant and a terrible problem...we can't even open our doors during sunset hours, without have them buzzing around our house all night, looking for dinner (biting us and our dogs)!! I had rescued 2 young pups that were both strays and of course, they were heartworm positive! These pups were putting all other dogs, in the area (not on a preventive), at risk....and requiring them to undergo a painful, 2 month treatment to rid themselves of their killer heartwoms..not to mention it costing us over $1000. for each dog!! Then there is always West Nile Fever, Encephalitis, and other viruses. Thus my question....if there are others reading this, and anyone has lived in Southern Colorado, could you please let me know if you experienced a problem with mosquitoes? Your replies may be a deal breaker on the Colorado land....it could land us back in Nevada! To some, it may seem like a silly concern, call me silly, but it has been one of my major concerns. Gail

Last edited by GAndersen0203; 06-26-2015 at 04:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado