U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 04:33 AM

40 posts, read 162,708 times

Advertisements

Hello to all, and a nod to MR516's thread. First and foremost, I believe it would be pointless to relocate to Colorado just for the sake of it's recreational marijuana laws without having something to offer the community in which I would live. So, let me begin by describing my attributes:

At 42 years of age, I have been gainfully employed since I was 16. The last 15 years have been in the hospitality industry, which I excel at. I have never been fired from a job, and the only time I outright walked off and quit a job without notice was a long time ago for a truly worthless SOB. I am a very consistent employee; I have missed only two days of work in the last decade. My last vacation was over 15 years ago (poor people that actually work don't get vacations unless they enjoy living in debt). I can produce 25+ years of positive professional and personal recommendations. I have no loans or debts... ZERO! I am at least semi-educated with an Associates Degree (3.9 GPA), but that was so long ago from such a small community college it's about like saying I graduated high school.

I can understand why some people view potheads as lazy or unproductive, since a lot are. But I am not one of those... it's the whole oppressive bible belt stuff that I'm looking to get away from (there is a church about 15 miles from me that still kisses snakes). Most towns are small good ole boy clubs where a search warrant is often not required to enter someone's house, so there is no such thing as absolute safety to grow your own inside your home. Either you have money, or you have no rights here.

What makes Colorado so enticing is the 6-plant allowance to grow in the privacy in your own home. I don't want to grow pot to sell, just for personal consumption. I like the idea of legally growing your own for just personal consumption without having to buy it from someone else. Here, there are no dealers that just sell pot anymore... it's all meth, meth, meth... and a little pot to keep you until the next meth score. And if you don't do meth, you can't get pot because they think you are a snitch or something.

I've been living on low wages all my life (most I ever made was $22k one year), yet I've been responsible enough with my money that I now own 20 acres of raw undeveloped land, no bank loans or debts, and (most importantly), I never had to screw anyone over to get what I have in life. So even minimum wage is fine with me as long as it's full time work. Putting my precious humility aside, I have to admit that I am a DAMN GOOD hotel front desk clerk, and I feel that I can go ANYWHERE and land a hotel job.

So where in Colorado should one like me plan on looking into? I don't really like metro areas. Denver would be great if it were on the outskirts. I've heard some good things about Pueblo. So what say you all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 06:43 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,933,570 times
I think you've done a good amount of research. You'll be fine growing in whatever area you choose. I'd suggest applying to jobs and seeing what you can find. Wages are usually higher in Denver, but cost of living would cancel out the gain. Jobs may be hard to get, but an excellent established work history and a willingness to take minimum wage should make it pretty reasonable for you to find something. Look in Pueblo, Denver, and Colorado Springs. All three have hotel options, and are good places to live. Ignore talk about religious fervor out here. It's nothing like those small towns and churches. I moved to CS to get away from some of those things (among many other reasons).

My recommendation: Look in all the front range cities.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:16 AM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
Denver is the big dog in the state, by a mile, also has the most hotels.

Mountain resort towns like Vail, Aspen, Steamboat Springs, Telluride, etc, have hotels but pay is low and COL is high; most service workers need to share lodging, etc. You read all about it by searching for the Ski Bum thread in the main COLO Forum.

Colorado Springs has Colorado's only 5-star resort/hotel, The Broadmoor and some excellent ones in the downtown area, (Antlers Hilton, and the awesome new Wyndham Grand Mining Exchange)
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:10 AM

3,103 posts, read 2,834,627 times
I assume you'll be renting? An indoor grow might make that more of a hassle as some land lords might have an issue with that. Just something to consider...

While I wouldn't bet my life on it, I assume there is going to be a lot of pot tourism in Colorado. With your background you might land a job making bookings for a cannabis tour company. At the very least, I'd imagine there will be a small increase in hotel bookings which is good for your job security

Prop 64 is going to get a ton of publicity in 2014 when the retail shops open. The worlds eye will be on Colorado. It'll be something to tell your grand-kids about... "Well johnny, when I was a wee lad we had this thing called cannabis prohibition. It might seem hard to fathom, but our country jailed its own people by the millions just for possession of this harmless plant..."

Old 05-28-2013, 05:48 PM

3,181 posts, read 7,023,768 times
What star level of hotel are you experienced in? It makes a difference as far as area recommendations. Some mountain areas pay very well for front desk, especially night audit if you're trained at a 4 or 5 star level.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:05 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,933,570 times
As a side note: If you are renting in an area with a shared electric bill and using large amounts of electricity, you might find neighbors becoming less friendly when they find an increase in their share of the monthly costs--especially if you are not offering to share the thing you grew with the shared electricity

Old 05-29-2013, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 11,629 times
Hospitality jobs are the mainstay where I live in Snowmass Village/Aspen. High salaries at the 5 Star level are fairly abundant depending on discipline. Front Desk agents have great opportunities. I work with valet and bell-staff that spend years in their positions and live like kings.
A real life without roommates or multiple jobs is obtainable so don't let posters on this forum let you believe it is too overpriced or hard to hold on to. They may not be living here.

Go deep into the mountains, forget about Pueblo or any other front range town and don't look back!

Old 05-31-2013, 01:23 AM

40 posts, read 162,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thexcop View Post
Go deep into the mountains, forget about Pueblo or any other front range town and don't look back!
You, sir, have inspired me.

Thanks to all for your positive opinions. It'll still take me some time to wrap up this life, but it will take only so many times thinking about it before I finally pull the plug... it is inevitable. It is so nice to converse with sane people...

Old 05-31-2013, 06:09 AM

2 posts, read 11,629 times
Also I have held my MM card for three years in a row now and that my friend is what has brought sanity to this part of America. Come and grow green in peace and you too will find yourself in paradise.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:58 AM

463 posts, read 978,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thexcop View Post
Hospitality jobs are the mainstay where I live in Snowmass Village/Aspen. High salaries at the 5 Star level are fairly abundant depending on discipline. Front Desk agents have great opportunities. I work with valet and bell-staff that spend years in their positions and live like kings.
A real life without roommates or multiple jobs is obtainable so don't let posters on this forum let you believe it is too overpriced or hard to hold on to. They may not be living here.

Good luck with that!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or