U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:53 AM

13,297 posts, read 25,484,841 times

Advertisements

Or close to it. I'll be in Durango June 1 to ride the railroad on June 2, then a week horseback riding in Vallecito. (Yes, I'm worried about the fire reports. I saw the destruction from the big fire a decade ago and it's very dramatic). A few days in Ridgway, then on to an old childhood friend in Utah, to celebrate our mutual birthdays and drive some back roads for her photography. We also plan to ride horses at the Sundance resort some afternoon. She and I took riding lessons together as kids in south Jersey. Let's see, it's only been some 45 years since she's been on a horse.
Of course, there's to be a three-day heat/humid wave here in the East, the exact three days I'll be in south Jersey with some family stuff. Bleh. When my aunt there is gone, I'll never go there again for anything.

I am looking forward to these three weeks! No work and out West in the dry air! Cold at night, too. I look forward to meeting up with a poster or two from C-D, also.

I am allowed to look at real estate. I am not allowed to consider buying even if it is hot and humid in the East. I have been... persuaded... in the past (persuaded by the devil on my other shoulder).

Looking forward to seeing the San Juans again! Bestos, bdl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 02:29 PM

11,062 posts, read 12,417,505 times
Have fun! Bring a jacket its been chilly at night.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:25 PM

16,512 posts, read 20,925,746 times
Sounds like a heck of a trip coming up! Don't forget about that other mountain train ride in the San Luis Valley (Antonito, Colo. to Chama, N.M.)--the Cumbres Toltec!! An awesome trip in its own right, plus you got the Great Sand Dunes, not far from Alamosa.

Have a great time BDL!

Old 05-29-2013, 11:37 PM

I hope to ride the train in Chama next year or on some other trip. This year, no time, and horses come first!
See y'all in a few weeks!

Old 05-30-2013, 12:30 PM

20,853 posts, read 39,085,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I hope to ride the train in Chama next year or on some other trip. This year, no time, and horses come first! See y'all in a few weeks!
Chama train (Cumbres & Toltec) is every bit as enjoyable as the Durango & Silverton, though in a different way due to different scenery. There used to be a B&B in Chama called the Gandy Dancer (an old RR term for track workers) that catered to train visitors.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 AM

4,700 posts, read 4,339,330 times
It sounds like a blast! I really hope you enjoy your stay. Let's do lunch or something. I live only an hour drive away from where you'll be. BTW, have you done Mesa Verde yet? Certainly worth a visit!

Old 05-31-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
It sounds like a blast! I really hope you enjoy your stay. Let's do lunch or something. I live only an hour drive away from where you'll be. BTW, have you done Mesa Verde yet? Certainly worth a visit!
I've been to Mesa Verde in the past. This year, I'm going to a horseback riding week in Vallecito after my train ride on June 2. A train nut I know has told me all about the Chama train, and we actually did go to the Silverton end of that train to see it pull in. It's all fascinating.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 PM

463 posts, read 979,746 times
Didn't a trestle on the C&T burn last year? Have they fixed it already?

Old 06-01-2013, 04:47 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,636,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Or close to it. I'll be in Durango June 1 to ride the railroad on June 2, then a week horseback riding in Vallecito.
Sounds like fun. Durango & Vallecito are our favorite haunts. Before we signed a condo lease in Durango this year, we always stayed at Vallecito when we visited. We LOVE Vallecito. Wanted to build our retirement home there in the worst way. The scars from the 2002 Missionary Ridge fire are still quite evident (and scary) and people would ask why do you want to build there after that nasty fire. Our reply is always that the area is now "pre-burned" with much of the fuel for another fire gone.

Unfortunately my coronary artery disease and lack of doctor's permission to shovel snow made us realize that perhaps we don't want to live in Vallecito year round. Vallecito has had single 5' snow falls in the past few years so we decided to visit often instead of living there. We chose instead to buy some land within 4 miles of Durango's Mercy Hospital so we're close to medical care, yet only 20 minutes from Vallecito when we want to enjoy being there.

After we have our timber frame home built out on Florida Mesa, we plan to buy one of the inexpensive nearly vertical lots at Vallecito with the fabulous lake & Needle peaks views, and build a small cabin. Those lots already have water to the lot line from a shared well and can be had for as little as $75K/acre. We'll keep the cabin rented during the rental season (Vallecito is an active vacation rental community) and then enjoy it during the remainder of the year with family & friends.

We always stay up on Ho Hum Drive which is directly across CR501 from the Schank House & general store. While you're there, do yourself a favor & have breakfast at the Vallecito Country Market. Good mexican food and the best damn green chili & chorizo breakfast burritos that you'll ever have.

Here's one of my favorite pics from Vallecito showing the Needle Peaks view from our usual rental on Ho Hum Drive. The second pic is the view from the front porch of our rental cabin. You can see the green roofs of the Schank House & general store on CR501 through the trees below.
Attached Thumbnails
Ready for my trip to Colorado!-vallecito-view-north.jpg   Ready for my trip to Colorado!-vdl-lake-view.jpg  

Old 06-01-2013, 08:46 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,797,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
Didn't a trestle on the C&T burn last year? Have they fixed it already?
The trestle burned in June 2010. It was put back in service about two years ago. The Cumbres & Toltec has been running a normal summer/fall schedule since. Great trip.

Last edited by jazzlover; 06-01-2013 at 08:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado