Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 08:44 PM

289 posts, read 775,871 times

Advertisements

I have to take a road trip to Denver next Tuesday and am trying to decide which route would be quicker. According to Google Maps, 285 taking 285 knocks about 20 miles off of the trip but time-wise, it takes the same amount of time if I take I-70. I'm leaning towards I-70 because there is more 4-lane highway.

What sayest ye?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 10:09 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
You will lose some time in Glenwood Canyon and at the Twin Tunnels due to construction, I'm not sure if there is any construction on 285.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:17 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Not when I went through 10 days ago. But best to check with C-Dot on their website for an update this weekend.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:08 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink If in a hurry—and when not

If time is a concern, take I-70.*

As an estimate, it is 5 hours from Montrose to Denver using either US 50 to I-70, or alternatively US 50 (east) and US 285. In theory. In practice it is four-lane road basically all the way to Denver if opting for the I-70 option. Versus mostly two-lane if headed through Gunnison, South Park and so forth. Particularly in the summer with RVs on the road and what not, it is simpler to keep moving at the speed limit if on a four-lane road.

Thus I wouldn't recommend the route via Gunnison unless one not only intends to abide by the speed limit, but drive below it at times in waiting for opportunities to pass. That is a skill which not everyone is comfortable with, and of course must be exercised with caution. Or, in other words, if watching the clock, make it easy on yourself and take the most expedient route.

On the other hand, that two-lane route offers a lot of fine scenery. With less traffic than an interstate—if at times inconveniently a moving road block. The speed limit will vary as well and, again, there is no point doing this if speeding to make up time through all the many slower curves in places even in just getting as far as Blue Mesa Reservoir. But overlook that, enjoy the beauty of the drive, and a pleasant excursion by and large. Just don't count on the seemingly more direct route being any faster.

Besides which, for all the damage it has done to such towns as Silver Plume in more or less bisecting them, I-70 still presents a quite scenic drive through a lot of beautiful country. The greater concern with it—aside from any road construction projects, and in the summer that could be anywhere—would be possibly winter driving, or that between Summit County and Denver in busy periods. But then US 285 from Denver to near Kenosha Pass and South Park can be heavily traveled at times, too.

As an aside, if opting for I-70, one could opt for the 'short-cut' via Paonia and Carbondale to I-70. It really isn't, and technically actually a bit longer time-wise. But one could look at the map and choose to believe they are fine tuning their road warrior skills. In passing through (or at least past) Redstone and down the Crystal River, it would be a nice drive.

Maybe one doesn't have the time or inclination for that. But it does suggest other options. Perhaps on the way back save some time by not doing so, and detour back to Montrose via Kebler Pass and Crested Butte.

* Baring any untimely road construction projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado