Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,223 times

Advertisements

Hello! So my husband and I are wanting to relocate to Colorado. His company will transfer him, and I work from home so the job's are covered. However, we are trying to decide between Denver or Colorado Springs.
We are an educated interracial couple and one reason we want to move from Florida is how ignorant some of these people are, or should I say most. We are looking to rent and we have 2 small dogs and would like a nice area not overly expensive. We currently live in a high rise on the beach and all though I will miss the view, that is about all I will miss. It's so humid here and we are also an active couple. Love outdoors trying out lots of restaurants and cultural activities as well.

Also how is it with the state taxes because in Florida we don't have them, is it a huge difference for your pay checks? We have lived in california, las vegas, lawton and duncan oklahoma, texas, illinois and now florida. So we have had our share of completely different experiences.

I would love a place with a dog park near, and where I could jump on a train instead of driving somewhere. My husband loves his truck and doesn't care for transit systems.

We really just want a place that will feel like home to us. Our family is located in the states surrounding Colorado, so its very cheap to fly to visit them as well. We are in our mid 30's as well if that helps. But we are not really club people.

so after all my rambling, basically Im asking about state taxes being a big difference in our pay, which is better for an interracial couple, and pet friendly, not expensive, things to do, and last if i could have it on my list would be the transit trains.

thanks everyone for your answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 01:39 PM

29 posts, read 49,837 times
State taxes are ~5%. Sounds like you'd enjoy a more urban atmosphere, and Denver has a better variety of culture, cuisine, and theater. It's also the only city in Colorado with a mass transit infrastructure, such as it is.

Colorado Springs is, by and large, less expensive to live in, with more modest home prices and property taxes. But it's also a much smaller city, with a small downtown. It's home to several military bases and is definitely more conservative than Denver, though I think prejudice is a universal trait. On the other hand, it's a beautiful city situated at the base of Pikes Peak, with hiking and biking trails within minutes. We live here and love it. But we're older and semi-retired. One of our kids lives in Denver and much prefers it to here. She lives in the suburbs, but takes the train downtown.

I would not advise commuting between the two, as the region between Denver and the Springs is considered high country and weather can get very nasty there in the winter. If there's an accident on the interstate, you're basically stuck, as optional routes are few and far between. BTDT.

Hopes this helps.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:18 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,636 times
Wink Concur, and ...

I'll second that already said.

You should be fine in either Colorado Springs or Denver. But as there are differences in size, public transit, and amenities, you may well wish to visit both prior to deciding; the ambience varies as well. My guess is you would be happiest in Denver or one of its many adjacent suburbs. Certainly central Denver if you are seeking that most urban. Otherwise the Front Range, including all adjacent to Denver, is largely various shades of suburban.

All in, Colorado would not provide the lowest cost of living. But considering the cost of property, property taxes and all else, not bad. Generally speaking, it will prove less expensive than either west or east coast, not as affordable as elsewhere in the central US. The bigger deterrent for most is with employment; if something viable can be secured then all else will fall into place. Depending on skills, this may prove no more difficult than elsewhere in Denver and environs, much more of a challenge in the mountains.

Many areas along the Front Range (being roughly that between Colorado Springs to the south to Fort Collins in the north) have relatively good access to the nearby mountains and outdoor activities. Moreover many will offer a good choice of bike paths, parks and so forth in town. This state is often said to be, and is a good place for those enjoying outdoor activities.

If pet friendly means dogs, then you will have a lot of company. Having as much in most apartments may prove problematic. Although this doesn't seem to deter all the many dog lovers, being prevalent and all over.

As said, public transit will be best in Denver. Although even there not as widespread or thorough as it might be; if a concern, consider your exact location relative to that wishing to access carefully. The auto, or more usually pickup and especially SUV, is still king in Colorado.

Being an interracial couple in towns such as Boulder would be one big non-issue. By and large it is live and let live throughout the entire state, if the more liberal enclaves naturally most conducive.

Ultimately this will—aside from employment (often being a deciding factor)—be a choice decided in how you feel about any prospective home. The Front Range is in some senses a world apart from the rest of Colorado. In choosing the exact local within it more a personal preference than where one should or not be—and this best assessed on the ground, in person.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,223 times
thank you for your replies, we are leaning more towards Denver at this time.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:13 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,599 times
state taxes being a big difference in our pay, which is better for an interracial couple, and pet friendly, not expensive, things to do, and last if i could have it on my list would be the transit trains.

State taxes, it impacts your paycheck, but not much. Once you account for property taxes and sale taxes (and rent/house price!) you will have a significantly higher standard of living out here if your husband keeps a similar pay level. Either will be fine for an interracial couple. We (people in Colorado) have no problem with interracial couples. We have a problem with bigots, so they tend to leave. Both cities are very pet friendly. CS is the less expensive of the 2, primarily due to housing prices running in Denver. Expect to pay an extra 30% of the CS price, possibly 50% if it is near the mass transit line. Outdoor activity things to do by yourself, CS wins. Indoor activities, arts, group activities, Denver wins.

Trains, you'll find public transit train systems in Denver and none in CS. However, your husband will probably prefer driving in CS. Denver traffic can get gridlocked (light compared to most major cities, but you can still find yourself going 10 to 20 for a bit on the free way). CS does not have traffic problems. We simply don't, the road system is well designed and there is enough road for everyone to be on it. This is a stark contrast to most cities which simply do not bother to continue paving even as they continue to sell cars.

Last edited by lurtsman; 06-03-2013 at 07:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado