Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2007, 02:02 PM

19 posts, read 73,985 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has heard if IREA has any plans to roll out BPL (Broadband over Power Lines) as an option for co-op members. We have enjoyed having this service in Cincinnati and they claim it's greatest benefit is going to be for rural areas such as the part of Park Co. where we hope to relocate in the near future. I have scoured their newsletters and have seen no mention of BPL yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 03:53 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,275,244 times
BPL is destined to fail. It generates tremendous RF (radio frequency) energy and interferes with other radio services. It is currently considered experimental, and the FCC is monitoring it. Several test sites have already been shut down, either because of the interference problem or the power co. just found it unprofitable. Even if it were a viable technology, it's still too expensive to bring broadband to rural areas.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:27 PM

260 posts, read 1,436,244 times
I haven't heard of them doing anything like that. IREA doesn't seem like a company that would do this kind of thing. They seem very financially savvy and conservative. I could be wrong about that perception.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:15 PM

947 posts, read 3,565,625 times
As Barry said, it's destined to fail.

I'm a radio broadcaster and been following this to some extent...... it just isn't a viable option for every reason Barry stated.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:29 AM

19 posts, read 73,985 times
Thanks to all for the info. I am sorry to hear that BPL causes interference with other radio freq. I hope that is a problem which can be solved. This service allowed us to ditch our land line (everyone calls on the cell anyway). I will keep everyone posted on how this technology progresses, (or disappears).

Old 11-05-2007, 11:35 AM

260 posts, read 1,436,244 times
But, I'll guess that your paying far more for your cell phone(S) than you probably ever did for your landline ... and its way less reliable. And your cell phone, esp. in the mountains -- won't work with 911 in many cases. So there are still good things about having a landline. And yes, I'm baised, I work for the phone company ... and need a job too.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:24 PM

947 posts, read 3,565,625 times
I highly doubt the interference issue will be something that will ever be fixed, it's physics and radio waves..something that you can't just change.

I don't have a cell myself, don't need one.... when I go out, someone I'm with.. a friend or my Chief Engineer has a cellphone and they will let me use it in an emergency. Anything else can wait till I get home. I've got a phone line form Vonage, Im paying $50 a month for one "REAL" line along with one US Virtual Number and one England vritual number... never had a problem with the service.

Paul
-a radio station operations manager, on air personality, techie geek, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado