U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 01:13 PM

231 posts, read 639,788 times

Advertisements

Just wondering as there's a job opening in my field there. I know how expensive it is to live there and similar places as I've been to places like Jackson WY and Ketchum ID and hear it's pretty similar. I just wonder if there's anything more to the town/area than basically being an expensive amusement park for rich adults. Does the town pretty much shut down in the summer, or is it an actual town where people live year round and there are other things to do than skiing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 02:10 PM

222 posts, read 368,978 times
The resort towns are cool for summer, too. They have music and film fests. If you need constant entertainment, CO is not the state for you. If you're down with nature, clean air and water, and a mellow vibe, Vail could work for you. Check the surrounding towns for rents. People who work in the resort industry tend to live outside of town and commute in.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:14 PM

231 posts, read 639,788 times
Oh, definitely, my primary desire for living there would be the outdoors opportunities. I'm just personally not much of a skier. Hiking, paddling, snowshoeing are more my thing. I really like Jackson WY because it felt like a bona fide community of people, not just a resort town. I haven't been to Vail but I do know the reason the town exists is because of the ski resort, which kind of made me leery about just how much the town revolves around the ski resort. I guess I'm just wondering if living there one could find a nice community of people who wouldn't scorn you for not coming there to ski.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:43 PM

3,182 posts, read 7,028,696 times
I live in Vail and don't ski. I was just up in Jackson, great town, Vail is different community wise, but not necessarily bad, it's not only an amusement park for rich adults, were as Jackson isn't only a staging area for bus tours, many of us choose to live and work here for many reasons. Summer is just as busy as winter, the Go Pro games are this weekend, look at Vail.com for a list of events and the e-edition of the Vail Daily for more info. Jobs can be fickle up here, what is presented as a full time/year round position may only be for 10 months, read your offer carefully.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:42 PM

1,123 posts, read 2,447,278 times
Vail is great in summer, mellow vibe. But if you don't ski you will hate it in the winter. The town is taken over by foreigners, both the working class who come on visas and the uber-rich from all over who take advantage of our weak dollar.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:38 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,533,285 times
Yes there is more to Vail than skiing. I think for the size, it's a very diverse ski town with tons of activities, concerts, sports, restaurants, you name it.

Summer is what you live there for, especially if not into skiing. I think you'll find with winter being the busiest time of year, you'll be working a lot anyways. Summer time temps are very moderate, 70's and 80's with a nice cool off at night. If you get bored in Vail in summer, well I don't think there is much people can help you with as there is so much to do.

Yes winters are long and skiing is the dominate winter sport. However I never skied once in 7 years and I did just fine there.

The rich thing, I don't know why that would be a big deal. Vail tends to be a self made millionaire town rather than a hollywood/trust fund baby type town Aspen tends to be. Most everyone is really cool and very interesting as there are a lot of successful people around. I interacted with thousands of tourists over my years and only ever ran into a handful of bozos.

The foreign workers in winter have dropped off some due obama administration changes to H2B visas making it too expensive for Vail Resorts and others to get these visas. Actually for me, that was one of the reasons I stayed there as long as I did, as I worked with Americans, but also people from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada, the UK, Brazil and Argentina.

Like any decent ski town, it is expensive. But that is the premium you pay for having all the amenities on hand.

Summer season is a little shorter, but at times has more people in town than some days in winter. Golfing, rafting, kayaking, bike riding, hiking, etc are all popular.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:25 AM

2,591 posts, read 5,988,804 times
Take a look at this article in the business section of the Denver Post:

Vail and Beaver Creek poised for busiest summer schedule ever
Quote:
. . .The valley has found a hot blend of participatory and spectator events, with the GoPro Mountain Games mingling thousands of amateur and professional athletes, the Tough Mudder luring more than 13,000 mud-crawling, log-toting athletes and the USA Pro Challenge bike race drawing tens of thousands of race gawkers. The TransRockies Run, the Triple Bypass and the Xterra Mountain Championships triathlon will bring even more racing athletes to the Vail Valley.

"It's interesting to see that people are no longer coming up to just fish or raft or bike, but we've got people coming up and participating in events," Dakin said. "It's exciting to see."

Although winter business is more than double and often three times larger than summer business, the town of Vail has seen its summer sales-tax revenues growing faster than winter's in recent years. ( Many high-country resort communities are enjoying swifter summer business growth, marking an evolution in ski-resort tourism.) Last June, July and August, Vail harvested a record $3.92 million in sales-tax revenue, besting the previous summer's record receipts by more than 6 percent. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or