U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2013, 01:04 AM
 
1,163 posts, read 1,199,748 times
Reputation: 929

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
This is where I draw the line. Thanks for reminding me I will complain to my public officials, like that will help LOL. That was one of the things I didn't miss about leaving CA.
The time to complain is on election day. We can fire them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2013, 10:00 AM
 
1,822 posts, read 1,393,684 times
Reputation: 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
The time to complain is on election day. We can fire them.
That may seem like the only way, but ultimately, that's the lazy approach. Four years (or even two) is way too long of a period in order to make a change. There can be too much damage in that period of time, as we see so visibly these days.

In the past, the voice and power of the people (as much as that sounds like a cliche) was much stronger than it is today. Elected leaders didn't hide behind the "we're here for 4 (2) years, and can do whatever we want until then". It's impossible to get into all of the details here and in just a few words why it's turned into that, but the abandoning the general consensus for the desires of the few (and the powerful) is the biggest problem overall, and happens at all levels (city, state, federal). The other big problem is what completes the cycle; people are too quiet/lackidaisical/conforming compared to in the past. The "leaders" know they can get away with so much more than in the past. Sure, there are lots of stupid blogs and websites that make people think they are "being heard" and "making a difference", but these are mostly ineffective approaches compared to what used to happen, and what still needs to happen. We could learn a lot from the past. People are too stuck in the present, and don't look back to what used to work.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 06-13-2013 at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2013, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Alaska
2,775 posts, read 2,497,924 times
Reputation: 4623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
That may seem like the only way, but ultimately, that's the lazy approach. Four years (or even two) is way too long of a period in order to make a change. There can be too much damage in that period of time, as we see so visibly these days.

In the past, the voice and power of the people (as much as that sounds like a cliche) was much stronger than it is today. Elected leaders didn't hide behind the "we're here for 4 (2) years, and can do whatever we want until then". It's impossible to get into all of the details here and in just a few words why it's turned into that, but the abandoning the general consensus for the desires of the few (and the powerful) is the biggest problem overall, and happens at all levels (city, state, federal). The other big problem is what completes the cycle; people are too quiet/lackidaisical/conforming compared to in the past. The "leaders" know they can get away with so much more than in the past. Sure, there are lots of stupid blogs and websites that make people think they are "being heard" and "making a difference", but these are mostly ineffective approaches compared to what used to happen, and what still needs to happen. We could learn a lot from the past. People are too stuck in the present, and don't look back to what used to work.
Okay, so what do you think "use to work" in the past, that we are missing, in the present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2013, 12:40 PM
 
Location: CO/UT/AZ/NM Catch me if you can!
4,703 posts, read 4,343,073 times
Reputation: 10302
I'll tell you what WILL work, right now, today. Know what you're talking about. The OP never gave a link to any information about this law - just stated that it had been passed and the world is now officially coming to an end - especially in Colorado. RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

Well, go for it folks. Leave. Colorado doesn't need a bunch of uninformed people indulging in some form of mass hysteria, ain't-it-awful bs. Try reading the following:

From the New York Times:

Quote:
Law enforcement groups also publicly backed the driver’s license bill, though the legislation did not garner any support from Republicans. Under the bill, the licenses will be marked to prevent them from being used for federal identification or to vote.
From Yahoo News:

Quote:
Under the bill passed by the Democratic-controlled legislature last month with no Republican support, applicants must show they live in Colorado, have filed a state income tax return and provide proof of their identity from their home country.

The bill's sponsor, Democratic state Senator Jessie Ulibarri, said the measure had the support of the state's law enforcement community because it was a public safety issue.

"Our roads will be safer when we can properly identify everyone who drives on them," he said. "We estimate that thousands more Colorado drivers will get insured because of this law."

Ulibarri said the license will state on its face that it cannot be used to vote, as a form of federal identification, or to apply for government benefits.
Hello? Is there ANY intelligent life out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2013, 12:55 PM
 
20,858 posts, read 39,100,793 times
Reputation: 19120
Colorado Rambler, thanks for posting the truth, just one more reason why Librarians are on my short list of unsung heros in our society.

I get emails every day from my pals who foolishly forward every viral email they get. Those viral emails are full of hateful rhetoric, usually of a bigoted or politically spun point of view, or both.

It's an uphill fight to keep these forums from being sullied by missing, bad or twisted "facts."
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2013, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Corona the I.E.
10,071 posts, read 13,977,615 times
Reputation: 8908
Only time will tell. Coming from a state full of illegals, CA, what they did to game the system was the got 30 days worth of ins. so they could get their license and then dumped ins. In fact shady ins. co's opened to provide just such service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2013, 01:53 PM
 
1,822 posts, read 1,393,684 times
Reputation: 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Okay, so what do you think "use to work" in the past, that we are missing, in the present.
Go read through history books covering the beginnings of our country through about 1980, and see for yourself. People basically responded in a similar manner (to overreaching and wayward elected officials) over that very large period of time. Then contrast that with the ways of roughly the past 30 years. It's all there, if people would only look. Recognizing where we screwed up would help give a decent chance towards reversing the downward spiral...

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 06-13-2013 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2013, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,181 posts, read 5,621,199 times
Reputation: 2073
I'm not convinced. Registering to vote is SO EASY at the DMV. You basically check a few boxes. I have no faith that anyone will actually check to make sure an illegal alien hasn't also checked those boxes, unless the application is completely different from what legal residents have to use use. Once you register, your ID is never checked again, or at least mine wasn't; I vote by mail-in ballot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2013, 04:22 PM
 
Location: CO/UT/AZ/NM Catch me if you can!
4,703 posts, read 4,343,073 times
Reputation: 10302
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I'm not convinced. Registering to vote is SO EASY at the DMV. You basically check a few boxes. I have no faith that anyone will actually check to make sure an illegal alien hasn't also checked those boxes, unless the application is completely different from what legal residents have to use use. Once you register, your ID is never checked again, or at least mine wasn't; I vote by mail-in ballot.
Registering to vote is so easy because you're most likely born in the USA or else in Kenya like the President. Getting a driver's license is not a matter of cruising down and "checking a few boxes." Believe me, I know. I have a neurological condition which plays havoc with my short term memory and it seems like every other month I've lost my driver's license again, and of course, I can't find where I put my birth certificate all nice and officially embossed by the state of Kentucky.

The people at the DMV don't let me slide because I'm such a nice little old lady with a memory problem. They REQUIRE the legal proof of my existance and place of birth even though we've been through the same song and dance three times already this year. Yet you think that Maria or Juan Jimenez from Juarez is going to be greeted with open arms and a shower of legal Colorado State documents? Excuse me, but your paranoia is showing.

I wish you could just check off a few boxes. You can NOT. I double dog dare you to go down to DMV without your official paperwork and get EITHER a driver's license or a voter's registration card. Nice try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2013, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,181 posts, read 5,621,199 times
Reputation: 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Registering to vote is so easy because you're most likely born in the USA or else in Kenya like the President. Getting a driver's license is not a matter of cruising down and "checking a few boxes." Believe me, I know. I have a neurological condition which plays havoc with my short term memory and it seems like every other month I've lost my driver's license again, and of course, I can't find where I put my birth certificate all nice and officially embossed by the state of Kentucky.

The people at the DMV don't let me slide because I'm such a nice little old lady with a memory problem. They REQUIRE the legal proof of my existance and place of birth even though we've been through the same song and dance three times already this year. Yet you think that Maria or Juan Jimenez from Juarez is going to be greeted with open arms and a shower of legal Colorado State documents? Excuse me, but your paranoia is showing.

I wish you could just check off a few boxes. You can NOT. I double dog dare you to go down to DMV without your official paperwork and get EITHER a driver's license or a voter's registration card. Nice try.
Stop with the BS. Just because I'm questioning the fact that Colorado is giving licenses to illegal aliens doesn't make me some sort of conspiracy theorist or someone who thinks the President is from Kenya.

I moved here 7 years ago from California. I BROUGHT my birth certificate with me (grew up in Pennsylvania), but didn't have to show it. Basically filled out the forms -- including the "register to vote" checkboxes, showed them my CA license, had a hole punched in it, got the new temporary license, and was on my way. That was it. I'm serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:41 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top