U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 08:57 AM

557 posts, read 666,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Good or bad, secession is in our DNA as a country. We were born secessionists. I think secession talks will get louder as politics gets even more polarized. I think some will actually happen. It might happen in CO. Why not?
Money.

Will never happen.

Get a grip folks.

Secession? Creating new states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 11:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,409 posts, read 39,766,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
Money.

Will never happen.

Get a grip folks.

Secession? Creating new states?
WY, ND, AK, and Tex could afford it... (but it will never happen)

I know, very tough for some to imagine that RED states have wealth, and the INTELLIGENT leadership to fund great schools, community services, healthcare...

Old 06-09-2013, 11:27 AM

12,174 posts, read 20,971,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

I know, very tough for some to imagine that RED states have wealth, and the INTELLIGENT leadership to fund great schools, community services, healthcare...
What makes this country so great is that we are the United States. Just look at Europe. The same holds true for Colorado. What makes us a great state is the diversity from the plains to the front range to the mountains and the western slope. Yes we have our regional differences but we need to work together to help every region shine so this state can continue to be a great place to live.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:25 PM

557 posts, read 666,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

No they couldn't. Every state is heavily subsidized by the federal government whether you like it or not.

Refusing that money means drastically reduced services. No state could self sustain for very long.

Intelligent leadership can't overcome drastic shortfalls, short of going back to the days of the Wild West.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:51 PM

20,853 posts, read 39,085,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
No they couldn't. Every state is heavily subsidized by the federal government whether you like it or not.

Refusing that money means drastically reduced services. No state could self sustain for very long.

Intelligent leadership can't overcome drastic shortfalls, short of going back to the days of the Wild West.
Agree. Imagine what the lack of current Federal agriculture subsidies, crop insurance, etc, means to a county like Weld that is a huge ag producer.

Suppose we just lop off the eastern 75 miles of COLO and give it to KS & NE. No change in the numbers of House and Senate seats. KS stays red. COLO forever blue. Repeal COLO TABOR. Probably affects water rights from the Arkansas River. Does Kansas have "pioneer" license plates? Hah!
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-09-2013 at 01:12 PM..

Old 06-09-2013, 06:41 PM

347 posts, read 714,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Suppose we just lop off the eastern 75 miles of COLO and give it to KS & NE. No change in the numbers of House and Senate seats. KS stays red. COLO forever blue.
Where do we sign up?

Old 06-09-2013, 07:47 PM

13,963 posts, read 20,232,249 times
Default An opinion from inside the "District"

The Silly State of Dum*****istan - ColoradoPols.com

Quote:
As background, I'm a fifth-generation Coloradan. My great-great grandfather homesteaded in Phillips County in the late 1800's; the next five generations have called Yuma County home. I grew up on our family ranch in southern Yuma County and graduated from Idalia High School, a small, rural community of 100 people. I spent the vast majority of my adult life in Yuma county. We're blessed with an abundance of natural resources in Yuma County. Our most significant resource: a vast ocean of underground water known as the "Ogallala Aquifer'; a resource that turned the prairie sandhills north of the Republican River and the vast stretches of dryland wheat south of the river into one of the most productive breadbaskets in the United States.
There is a LOT more.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:36 AM

129 posts, read 216,569 times
As someone who grew up in Western NY, I find this conversation funny. Imagine being in a state where the entirety of attention is focused 400 miles from where you live? I guess those living in Cortez would understand! I don't think I knew a single person who didn't want to lop off that entire corner of the state (NYC). At least in NY the divide would have been easy, rather than the island situation we have here.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:09 AM

3,768 posts, read 4,624,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Would love to see Colorado become like California with a Democratic supermajority. Many rural people tend to vote against themselves/Republican, low wages, anti-labour, etc. and the US needs far less of that to exit the Plutocrat Turnpike we've been on. Granted, Colorado Dems are conservative, but there is promotion of progressive energy development, gun control, support for increased educational funding, etc.
That is one difference that liberals and conservatives will never agree on, liberals think that voting for less government hand outs is a horrible thing, while conservatives understand that taking from someone else to be given to you is wrong and should not be done. I personally am a libertarian, and think anybody willing to let the government solve all their problems are also willing to give up all their rights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Reading that article is strikes me as a guy using the federal funding as something those counties are getting from the state, also the green energy push so far appears to be short term improvements, the companies owning the production equipment and therefor getting the benefits of revenue are not local companies, the jobs once built are reduced dramatically, and so far there has been no proof that any of this is economically feasible once the federal grants go away. Look up all the cuts that have happened in the field when it looked like the credits were going away.

Also the guy seems to acknowledge that most of the area does not agree with his thinking, but insists on insulting them due to the difference, not a good look or way to win allies.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:19 AM

3,768 posts, read 4,624,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethehighcountry View Post
As someone who grew up in Western NY, I find this conversation funny. Imagine being in a state where the entirety of attention is focused 400 miles from where you live? I guess those living in Cortez would understand! I don't think I knew a single person who didn't want to lop off that entire corner of the state (NYC). At least in NY the divide would have been easy, rather than the island situation we have here.
We are not talking about an island, we are talking about the north eastern corner of the state, basically from just north of Brighton to the Wyoming line and east to the Kansas/ Nebraska border. Or the whole northeast portion of the state from I 25 and Highway 7 although it would include a couple of miles west of I-25 in many areas.

Also there is a major difference between this problem and what I know of people from NY, while the lifestyle differences are similar, for the most part even people in Western NY are left leaning in their political ideology. In Colorado the rural areas are significantly more conservative, while Denver is much more liberal in the ideology. It is much easier to deal with not having a voice when those that do believe at least partially the same as you do, when it is the polar opposite you have a major problem.

Add to that in New York, the city is the economic power house, in Colorado their 3 biggest industries are agriculture, tourism, and mineral extraction. All of which benefit Denver but are far from based on Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or