U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 10:21 AM

3,768 posts, read 4,620,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
I have never heard that Weld County is the wealthiest county in the state and I find that claim to be highly dubious. Either from a per capita wealth or a local GDP basis

As for resource extraction providing huge economic benefits; yes and no. The demand for local labor will increase but the companies certainly won't relocate to Weld County. The field offices will be there but the corporate offices, and the corresponding highly skilled labor, will hang out in Denver, Houston, Dallas, Oklahoma City and Calgary. Weld gets the royalties and leasing payments, the other areas benefit from the corporate profits and increasing talent pools of highly-skilled labor.
You do not believe me that fine but maybe you should spend some time doing some research, I have access to proprietary information from wealth management firms, and can tell you the average net worth of Weld County residents are higher then any other county in Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 10:48 AM

1,123 posts, read 2,446,133 times
This is a nationwide rift between rural and urban areas. Downstate Illinois has been fighting Chicago for years, but for now Illinois is still one state. I don't see this realistically happening there or here.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:54 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,497,482 times
Joining Wyoming makes more sense.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:01 AM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
Joining Wyoming makes more sense.
Probably a non-starter for the oil/gas money that may be watching or prodding this as WY has a higher severance tax on extractive industries than does CO.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:05 AM

811 posts, read 1,224,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
We are not talking about an island, we are talking about the north eastern corner of the state, basically from just north of Brighton to the Wyoming line and east to the Kansas/ Nebraska border. Or the whole northeast portion of the state from I 25 and Highway 7 although it would include a couple of miles west of I-25 in many areas.
As I recall, there's been a strong desire in Northern/rural California to "secede" from the state, or carve it up into multiple states, for the past 40-60 years. Nothing new here. Hardly ever is anything new, really. Just the same old stuff.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:08 AM

918 posts, read 983,858 times
Quote:
You do not believe me that fine but maybe you should spend some time doing some research, I have access to proprietary information from wealth management firms, and can tell you the average net worth of Weld County residents are higher then any other county in Colorado.
I did the quick five minute research thing-a-ma-bob using the Census 2012 ACS for median household income and the BEA for local GDP. Neither show Weld County as being the wealthiest County based on those numbers. Of course, these are a snapshot of wealth generated in a specific time period and is not comparable with an average net worth.

I'll admit that net worth may show that individuals in Weld are more wealthy. But it could be that a lot of that wealth is locked up illiquid assets (such as land) and might show that individuals have a lot of book wealth that cannot be easily monetized. Now if you want to show your "proprietary information from wealth management firms" than I'd be more than willing to take a look and finding out if your claim is correct or not.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:11 PM

129 posts, read 216,454 times
Quote:
We are not talking about an island, we are talking about the north eastern corner of the state, basically from just north of Brighton to the Wyoming line and east to the Kansas/ Nebraska border. Or the whole northeast portion of the state from I 25 and Highway 7 although it would include a couple of miles west of I-25 in many areas.
When I said island, I was referring to the Denver area ...

Old 06-10-2013, 07:13 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,635,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
No they couldn't. Every state is heavily subsidized by the federal government whether you like it or not.

Refusing that money means drastically reduced services. No state could self sustain for very long.

Intelligent leadership can't overcome drastic shortfalls, short of going back to the days of the Wild West.
Agree 100%

Old 06-10-2013, 07:53 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,529,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
We (the real Colorado) keep the mineral rights and let them go.
Yeah it doesn't work that way.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:57 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,529,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Agree, and I hope this nonsense dies a quick death and the proponents suffer much ridicule.
I'm sure you do, but if these people are dirtbags then why the strong desire to suffocate them and hold them tight? Makes no sense.

I think if things keep going in the direction they are, then I'll be full support of their separation. Hickenpooper and others keep attacking the rural Coloradans that supply the cities with their food, energy and other raw materials. I say cut em off and let em starve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or