Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:36 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Jazzlover resorted to Godwin's Law by invoking a comparison to Hitler, and got properly called out for it. Doing so is a form of logical fallacy and is best not used as it's a bush league technique in debate.
I certainly agree with you on the Goodwin Law. But I most certainly disagree with you that taking someone to the woodshed is a proper response for resorting to Goodwin law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 07:51 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Jazzlover resorted to Godwin's Law by invoking a comparison to Hitler, and got properly called out for it. Doing so is a form of logical fallacy and is best not used as it's a bush league technique in debate.
The analogy may be a bit extreme, but the point remains: Not all change is positive and people who are negatively affected by it and powerless (due to the Tyranny of the Majority, in this case) to stop it certainly have justification to be plenty upset about it--and the current "secessionist" movement (though it will be fruitless) demonstrates that frustration.

As far as "bush league" techniques in debate, having no idea of the rationale behind an opposing point of view (thus being unable to intelligently debate it) is about as bush league as one can get--and Mike and many of his metropolitan counterparts are clueless about the challenges facing rural Coloradans, as well as the crappy treatment those rural Coloradans get from the metropolitan-dominated political process.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:12 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
The analogy may be a bit extreme, ...
Thank you. It is extreme and I ask that none of us go to that extreme.

Quote:
... but the point remains: Not all change is positive ...
Even a kid knows that; further, no one said that all the changes were positive.

Quote:
.... Mike and many of his metropolitan counterparts are clueless about the challenges facing rural Coloradans, as well as the crappy treatment those rural Coloradans get from the metropolitan-dominated political process.
The secession is mostly a TEA party thing, and they don't give a damn about rural Coloradans and their problems, or anyone else's problems. The whole thing is spite work of the anti-gay crowd, gun lobby and TEA activists who just want to make trouble for a Democratic governor and statehouse, i.e., it has nothing to do with the "problems" or "treatment" of rural Coloradans and everything to do with out of state money stirring the pot.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:23 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
The analogy may be a bit extreme, but the point remains: Not all change is positive and people who are negatively affected by it and powerless (due to the Tyranny of the Majority, in this case) to stop it certainly have justification to be plenty upset about it--and the current "secessionist" movement (though it will be fruitless) demonstrates that frustration.

As far as "bush league" techniques in debate, having no idea of the rationale behind an opposing point of view (thus being unable to intelligently debate it) is about as bush league as one can get--and Mike and many of his metropolitan counterparts are clueless about the challenges facing rural Coloradans, as well as the crappy treatment those rural Coloradans get from the metropolitan-dominated political process.
The "Front Rangers" are no more clueless or tyrannical now than the rural Coloradans were in the past.

If you had used a reasonable example of not all change is positive, rather than what is -- perhaps -- the most extreme change in the modern history of the world -- I would have agreed with you. But, one man - one vote is the American way. To say anything different is to say the people of Weld County (etc.) should have one man five votes. What kind of American principle is that? Sometimes politics doesn't favor your side...or my side. The people of Weld County (etc.) are not being denied any rights. They have every right today that I have.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:26 PM

Early returns indicate that the people of Weld County do NOT want to secede, 58% to 42%, so far. Elbert County is 74% against it.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:32 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Our country is built on the premise of Consensus, not Majoritarian rule.

Every time majority wields its power, without the consensus of the minority, you'll have problems. Weld will not secede tomorrow, but given enough grievances, left undealt with, you betcha that things will get a lot more interesting.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post

Every time majority wields its power, without the consensus of the minority, you'll have problems. Weld will not secede tomorrow, but given enough grievances, left undealt with, you betcha that things will get a lot more interesting.
Please tell me, my friend from NYC, what is your knowledge base regarding Weld County, CO and your interest in this issue.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:

I doubt that we ever hear of this again. Then again, maybe it's the latest gimmick in the bag of burglar tools used by the Koch Bros, Tea Party, et al, to wreak havoc on the nation. Then again, maybe California will break up into 5 or 6 liberal states and pack the Senate with DEM senators. Then again....

Old 11-05-2013, 09:39 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
I certainly agree with you on the Goodwin Law. But I most certainly disagree with you that taking someone to the woodshed is a proper response for resorting to Goodwin law.
I think you know that was not a literal statement. I recently ran for our HOA board. The election was a tie. After the runoff I told people, "I got whopped". No one whopped me. It's an old cliche.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:48 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
I doubt that we ever hear of this again. Then again, maybe it's the latest gimmick in the bag of burglar tools used by the Koch Bros, Tea Party, et al, to wreak havoc on the nation. ...
Is that any different from Bloomberg and company meddling in Colorado politics? I am opposed to any outsiders trying to impose their own ideological slant on the state. If they want to change things, come here and live to earn a vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado