U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 07:38 PM

3,768 posts, read 4,619,029 times

Advertisements

Weld commissioners propose formation of new state | Today's News | Northern Colorado Business Report

Quote:
S.B. 252, which seeks to raise the renewable energy standard for rural electric utilities, was heavily opposed by rural counties because of the potential for increased electricity rates.

Gov. John Hickenlooper signed the bill into law Wednesday.

Weld also takes issue with oil and gas regulations that have been passed recently, Freeman said.

At the recent Colorado Counties Inc. conference, Weld commissioners spoke with leaders from other rural counties including Morgan, Logan, Sedgwick, Phillips, Washington, Yuma and Kit Carson, who expressed interest in the idea of forming a separate state.
I know that there is plenty of animosity from not only the rural areas in eastern Colorado but also the western slope. I am wondering if this is the start of the state breaking apart as I can see the western slope areas breaking away from the state as well, or just a couple of counties trying to make a point.

Also looking at the state revenue streams, I am thinking the state of Colorado will have to fight this tooth and nail, oil and Gas as well as agriculture are 2 of the 3 largest parts of the state economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 07:54 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,594,540 times
Having being raised in Sterling from age 12 I can honestly tell you that Logan County which Sterling is the governmental seat of is very much staunchly conservative and like the rest of eastern and northeastern Colorado holds absolutely no resemblance in geography, in politics, nor in culture with the front range.

I lived in the Denver area for approx 22 years. Many long time Denver metro residents gave me a confused look when I told them I was raised in Sterling. They had absolutely no idea where Sterling was and most had never been out on I-76 past Lochbuie.

I don't think you will see the state come apart but what you will see is the long term anger and mistrust towards Denver and the front range cities grow to levels not seen before and that can't be good for anyone.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:07 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,780,481 times
The dislike of many rural Coloradans for the politics of the Front Range has been a festering problem for several decades now, but it is intensifying as the nearly intractable voting majority in the metro Front Range becomes a classic case of the "tyranny of the majority" leveled against the rural minority of Coloradans. Colorado's way-too-easy-to-amend State Constitution has made that tryanny more pernicious. It also doesn't help that many of the people transplanting to Colorado hold political views that are blatantly anti-rural. These are some of the main reasions that that this long-time rural Coloradan left Colorado. I still feel great empathy for the many long-time rural Coloradans who now feel like unwanted strangers in their own state. Unfortunately, this forum is a mirror of the problem. The number of rural Colorado posters are constantly swamped by the Front Range posters, some of them "know-it-alls" who have no respect for rural Colorado residents.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:13 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,052,603 times
A silly idea, born of haste and the heat of the moment over the recently ended state legislative season.

When they "follow the money" my bet is that rural counties get more back from the state than they pay in, just as "red" states get more from Uncle Simp than they pay in. Blue states pay in more to Uncle Simp but don't get back 100-cents on their dollar....but I don't hear the blue states whining about secession.

When Weld County loses state money for roads, schools, etc, watch how quick those "conservatives" raise the Severance Tax to cover their expenses. They sure as hell won't raise their own income taxes. Hilarious.

I don't see anyone approving a new state as it would add two more "red" seats in the Senate, giving 200,000 people the same clout in the Senate as the 30,000,000 people in California. If this stupidity is allowed, California, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey could break into twenty states, adding 40 "blue" senators to the Senate. How do we spell "filibuster?" I suspect national political scoundrels are trying this gambit to "pack" the Senate with conservatives, i.e., essentially gerrymandering Senate districts.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-08-2013 at 10:38 AM..

Old 06-07-2013, 10:32 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,722,641 times
It is probably a test balloon to see where the Republicans can carve out a new state for Democratic Puerto Rico, which voted for statehood this time around. It wasn't a solid vote (three options, major party called for a boycott) so they are voting again next year on a Yes or No. Since it looks like PR wants in, the R party is looking to balance the Senate. Funny thing is that if they weren't so anti-Latino, it would shift the Senate to the right as PR tends to be conservative Catholic. They ship the liberals to NYC.

Personally, they are more likely to split Texas, California, Oklahoma, Arizona, ect. There are natural geo-political lines that make much more sense than an Eastern Colorado/Jefferson state. Eastern Colorado doesn't have enough population even if you threw in Western Nebraska, Western Kansas and the OK panhandle.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:03 PM

918 posts, read 983,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
The number of rural Colorado posters are constantly swamped by the Front Range posters, some of them "know-it-alls" who have no respect for rural Colorado residents.
Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

Old 06-08-2013, 07:10 AM

12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
People in southern Colorado have been talking about something like this for as long as I can remember. In our case it's southern Colorado and northern New Mexico forming a new state with Pueblo as the state Capitol. There is even the article in the chieftain about this every now and then. While it makes for a good conversation at a party it never goes anywhere as its just not practical. I predict the same thing will happen with this proposal. Plus everyone talks about the front range verses the eastern plains. Greeley is part of the northern front range urban corridor and southern weld county is part of the Denver CSA.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:30 AM

347 posts, read 714,013 times
The new state idea seems stupid to me, but becoming part of Kansas is a pretty popular idea around here. Unfortunately we are already losing people out of state thanks to these issues and the obvious future path of Colorado.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:55 AM

13,947 posts, read 20,190,335 times
Default Let them go

We (the real Colorado) keep the mineral rights and let them go.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:56 AM

3,768 posts, read 4,619,029 times
having grown up in southeastern weld county, spending much of my younger days in Greeley and northeastern Colorado, I think I have a much different perspective then what seems like many of the posters in this thread.

The calls to leave the state of Colorado have been around since long before I was born, weld county prides itself on not being a part of the Denver metro area, they want no part of the Denver crowd. Towns like Fort Morgan, Sterling, and Akron all laugh at that city folks and want nothing to do with them, even the guys who have to travel to Denver for work projects go home as soon as possible. There is also a large amount of animosity between weld and larimer county, not to mention Greeley and Fort collins. The fact that people in Denver and south consider Weld county a part of the urban corridor actually pisses people in weld county off, fact is if you spend enough time in northern Colorado it is easy to see that the culture and people are significantly different on each side of I-25, with those differences becoming more obvious the further east you go. It has been there as long as I can remember, and has grown worse over the last 20 years.

With some of the recent rulings and laws passed through the state over the last few years I know people are severely pissed off at Denver and the I-25 corridor. Adding that to the already growing animosity between the regions, I knew people were getting to the point of talking about leaving the state, but to have politicians actually sit down and have discussions is a pretty large step in that direction.

As for that area being a net taker from the state, I am not so sure about that, they may be a net federal taker with the agricultural grants and loans, but considering the state economy/ revenue and where that comes from, and history (have not done much research over the last few years) those counties pay a good amount in taxes. Especially considering Weld County has long been the wealthiest county in the state, Weld county actually has the same median household income as Fort Collins, while the cost of living is considerably lower. Now with the discovery of the Niobrara adding to the already known oil in the Julesburg basin, Weld, Morgan, and Logan county are set up to be economic power houses for the next few years, at least until the next oil bust.

I will also scoff at this being politically motivated by national politics most people do not care about who has more votes in the house or senate, if they did they would vote more often While it may help get republican backing should the counties decide to leave, this is much more about local politics. These counties hold about 10% of the population of the state, Denver alone holds much closer to 20%, add in the Denver metro area and Boulder, and you are much closer to 70% of the entire state population. The smaller population counties have long felt they did not have a voice, however for a long time there was at least some semblance or respect for the culture of the rural communities. Now talking to many in these areas, they do not believe that respect is there, and many feel they are having rules and laws forced on them from people who know nothing about the state outside of the I-25 corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or