U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 08:04 PM

9 posts, read 27,801 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm moving from Louisiana to Colorado for work. I will be working in Hayden, and I was planning on living in Steamboat Springs. I was wondering what the commute was like from Steamboat Springs to Hayden, especially in winter. Can ya'll give me some ideas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 08:38 PM

4,876 posts, read 9,622,106 times
The way I understand it, most people who work in Steamboat (especially seasonal workers) can't afford to live there, so they commute from the less expensive housing in Craig. Hayden is between Craig and Steamboat, so the commute can't be too bad. Funny that you are doing it the opposite way. You must have a good job lined up!

When I lived in Steamboat many years ago, I used to pick up visitors from the airport in Hayden. I don't remember having any problems getting there in the winter. I see that you are in Louisiana; does that mean that you don't have experience driving in the snow? That could be a problem.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:04 PM

9 posts, read 27,801 times
Thanks for the reply. I'm from Louisiana, but I lived for a while in northern Arizona so I have some experience with winter driving. Can you tell me anything about Craig, CO? I haven't done much research on that town. Is it small like Hayden? Hayden doesn't look like it has much to do. I'm planning to fly out there soon so I won't be moving sight unseen.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:29 AM

3,182 posts, read 7,025,414 times
Craig is larger than Hayden, but smaller than Steamboat. You'll have a more consistent snowpack in Steamboat compared to AZ, some roads will be covered all winter, some are not plowed between 9pm and 5am. 4wd or Awd are useful but no substitute for good winter tires and intelligent driving. When you are looking for places in Steamboat, the East end will significantly add to your commute with all the traffic lights going through town.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:48 AM

6,530 posts, read 10,197,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_slu View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm from Louisiana, but I lived for a while in northern Arizona so I have some experience with winter driving. Can you tell me anything about Craig, CO? I haven't done much research on that town. Is it small like Hayden? Hayden doesn't look like it has much to do. I'm planning to fly out there soon so I won't be moving sight unseen.
I lived in Craig from 1984-1992 and most of my family still lives there. Craig and Steamboat are about the same size. Steamboat's population is roughly 12,000 and Craig's is around 9,500. The biggest difference between Craig and Steamboat is the cost of living. It'll cost you 40-50% less to live in Craig simply because Steamboat's a ski town, but if skiing is your thing you're only 40 miles from Steamboat if you live in Craig. You're also about 5 miles closer to Hayden if you live in Craig.

Elk hunting is huge in Craig, and the Yampa River is great for rafting west of Craig to the Utah state line. There's also plenty of fishing and other outdoor activity. The Elkhead Mountains north of Craig aren't anywhere near the tallest in the state, but they are far less crowded than some of the other spots.

Craig has all the basic amenities like gas, food (fast food and sit down), lodging, groceries, and a brand new hospital. It also has a satellite campus of Colorado Northwestern Community College.

All that being said, Craig is not without its drawbacks.

For whatever stupid reason, gas is considerably higher in Craig than it is in Steamboat (20-30 cents per gallon). That seems to be one of the big things that really grind the locals' gears.

Craig isn't very scenic. It's nestled on the eastern edge of a high desert plateau. It doesn't have the mountain vistas that most folks (mistakenly) associate with Colorado. Summers are short with warm days in the 90s and chilly nights in the upper 40s-low 50s. Winters are cold and snowy and overnight lows drop well below zero (-15 and lower) a few times per year.

If you've got kiddos, the school district is decidedly mediocre. That doesn't mean they're destined to spend the rest of their lives in Craig working at Kum and Go (gas station). I made out alright for myself.

Bottom line, if having enough money to live comfortably is your goal, Craig is probably going to be where you want to live. It's not the greatest place in the world, but it's not the worst, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado