U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 11:59 AM

20,837 posts, read 39,052,603 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid...way back...don't ask.... we were told that the method one should use to cook a carp is to place it on a board, roast it in the oven, take it our, throw away the carp and eat the board. The word (urban myth?) was that they were all bones and thus a pain to pick through.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 08:10 PM

86 posts, read 112,611 times
We're from CO, but got tired of the mess that the state has become. Fishing had become such an endeavor to do, and most of the time it wasn't even worth it due to small stocked fish and many clueless people partying, thinking they were in a mountain dew ATV/motorcycle commercial, being blocked in at trailheads, etc. we stopped fishing and soon after moved.

Now we have many fishing opportunities within 20 minutes, not to mention a far lower cost of living and much nicer people.

Colorado was a fun place to look at and see select pictures of though.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:09 PM

Colorado has awarded "Gold Medal Trout Medal" fishing status to the upper reaches of the Arkansas River.

Excerpt: "...The stretch of water reach is 102 miles long from the confluence with the Lake Fork of the Arkansas River, near Leadville, downstream to Parkdale at the U.S. 50 bridge that cross over the river..."

Old 01-19-2014, 10:14 AM

147 posts, read 187,643 times
I see Colorado also has a tiger trout program going on. OP - have you managed to land one? They are a very pretty fish and supposed to be a good fighter.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,647 times
lovethehighcountry,

Finally stumbled across the "carp" talk on this thread, couldn't resist posting my picture of "CarpZilla" for you ...from 2013.

Carp fishing is growing in popularity here in Colorado in leaps and bounds. I am constantly surprised by the amount possitive letters and posts I receive from anglers here and their passion for fishing for carp. I am looking forwards to the 2014 season to see what amazing captures come from our local waters.

Tight-Lines,
John
CarpQuest

Old 06-05-2014, 05:39 PM

We had a joke back in Maryland about a fish called the Shad. Every spring the Shad would run and there'd be Planked Shad and Shad Roe. Shad Planking cookouts were big social events; the fish would be cooked on a wood plank. The joke was that you then threw away the Shad and ate the damned plank as it would be better eating than the fish.

Always heard that carp were terrible fish for eating. Anyone ever ate Carp? Any good?

Old 06-05-2014, 10:45 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,332,367 times
^^^

Once. I must admit to being underwhelmed by the taste. A carp is just an over-grown gold fish. If you like going after bottom feeders, I suggest catfish instead.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,647 times
Personally i've never eaten one, though I hear that they can taste quite good - when prepared correctly.

Now, how to prepare them, that's a whole different story ! Given they were originally introduced to the USA as a food source, it is unfortunate they never caught on more. There are a few places in the country already that harvest carp and prepare them either for export, or for local consumption.

However you view the carp, whether you catch them with rod & reel and release them, hunt them down for food, carp are a very underutilized resource in our waters.

In Germany carp are a common table fare, especially around the holiday's. Many sources would recommend allowing the carp to first rest in fresh/clean water, prior to culling and eating, helps to get rid of the more "muddy" taste some complain they have. There are a plethora of recipes out there for "silver fin" that are commonly eaten in the Asian community.

Do remember, there is a huge difference between the plankton eating menace, the bighead carp, the silver carp (the ones you see flying out the water to impale unwary boaters), from the common carp. Not all carp are created equal.

Kind Regards,
John

Old 06-06-2014, 07:09 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,780,481 times
OK, so this fisherman is out in a boat one day, sitting on the rim of the boat and his wallet falls out of his pocket into the water. A carp comes up and grabs the wallet. He swims a ways, then spits the wallet out. Another carp grabs it and swims away. The fisherman's partner in the boat watches in amazement and exclaims, "Look! Carp to carp walleting."

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:51 AM

4,697 posts, read 4,332,367 times
^^^

Oh, quit your carping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or