U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:14 PM

5,757 posts, read 9,438,421 times

Advertisements

God I hate carp.

Colorado fishing overall is so-so in my opinion. I never had much luck in the lakes. But fly fishing in streams and rivers for trout was decent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 08:41 AM

5,444 posts, read 4,825,380 times
I've been wanting to get back into fishing, but it has been close to 20 years since I've even owned a pole. Also, back then, I was just bass fishing. I've wanted to try fly fishing since I have never done it before. What do you all think of those guided tours and such? They supposedly teach you the basics of fly fishing and trout fishing in general. Are they worth the money or is fly fishing the type of thing you can learn by watching a video?

Old 06-10-2014, 01:18 PM

Fly fishing guides are very expensive. I personally don't think it's worth the money. You can definitely learn by watching a video and picking up a couple books. Don't buy expensive gear - I recommend the cheaper fly rods and reels from Cabelas - the Cabelas brand itself are pretty good quality at much less price, totally adequate for learning on.

Practice first on still waters (lakes) - casting and letting the dry fly it on the water, reel it in. This is much, much easier than fly fishing on rivers, so do here first, then later you can try on rivers.

The thing about fly fishing is: the more unspoiled the waters are, the easier the trout bite. If you're fishing in wilderness areas that do not have a lot of fishing pressure, trout will bite any of the standard "Western" (Rocky Mountain area) trout flies. The more fishing pressure, the more finicky the trout get. At the extreme end of the scale, heavily-fished catch-and-release areas are the most difficult. These are the places where a guide is your best bet, because the guide knows on any given day which hatches are producing the bites, and what size of flies the fish are biting on.

I've never bothered learning about hatches or trying to match flies with what hatches are happening on the river. Yes, this is what you're supposed to do and surely it will produce the best results, but I've found that for most waters, the standard western flies work. I carry several varieties, and if one doesn't work, I try different ones until I hit the one or two that the fish are taking.

When fishing rivers, the most important thing is that the fly must float downstream ahead of the line and that there must not be any drag on the line. If there's drag, the fly will not float naturally and the trout will ignore it. This can get very tricky on streams where different sections of the stream flow at different rates.

Fly fishing for trout is very rewarding - your strike rate will always be much higher than the bait fisherman.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:26 PM

182 posts, read 408,830 times
The key I've heard to cooking carp is putting it in a pressure cooker and boiling the heck out of it. Guess the bones disintegrate or something along those lines.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:01 AM

It's not the bones that's the problem, it's the fact that carp is a smelly, gross, foul-tasting thing

Old 06-11-2014, 11:12 AM

182 posts, read 408,830 times
That is true.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:24 AM

20,858 posts, read 39,100,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
It's not the bones that's the problem, it's the fact that carp is a smelly, gross, foul-tasting thing
Thank you, that's the clarity I was looking for. +5
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:36 PM

34,992 posts, read 32,020,904 times
I miss fishing CO. There are some great smallmouth fishing in foothill Reservoirs. I've caught huge Pike in Spinney, along with the Salmon. What I truly miss the most is the river fishing in Eastern Co for big Browns! We'd use whole chubs as bait and the trout were huge. I had the State record(weighed anyway) LMB out of Stalker lake for about a week lolz. It didn't even make the books cause a guy caught one same week as me that was bigger.

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Fis...talkerLake.pdf

Crashed my dreams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or