U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 03:25 PM

4,700 posts, read 4,339,330 times

Advertisements

Hey, anyone here know what the deal is with Sterling? I'm asking on behalf of a friend who is considering taking a job there with the DOC. Frankly, from what I can tell about the budget problems, etc., it doesn't sound like a good idea - especially considering he owns a home here in Cortez and will be moving all the way across the state for the sake of this (entry level) job. Does Sterling have its sterling attributes? Sorry for the bad pun. But if he packs it all up and heads 500 miles away, it's not going to be a decision to easily change.

Thanks, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 04:15 PM

13,964 posts, read 20,232,249 times
Default Well...

Soon, Sterling will not be part of Colorado.
Will Colorado keep a prison in another state?

Old 06-11-2013, 04:25 PM

4,234 posts, read 7,247,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Sterling and many other small communities are great places to live and raise a family or at least they used to be. Why would you want to expose your kids to the cesspools that many parts of the larger cities in Colorado have become? Quite frankly the BEST of Colorado is the far West and the Far East ends of the State. I wouldn't give you a nickel for the area fifty miles wide from the front range from Pueblo to Fort Collins.

GL2

Old 06-11-2013, 06:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,409 posts, read 39,766,906 times
I would not recommend a move from Cortez to Sterling for an entry level job. I would look closer to home.

An issue with moving to Sterling...(or any smaller /remote town) = JOBS... what happens when you need another JOB and you don't have the skillset / employer choice to stay put. Then you move (again). Not a cheap option.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:57 PM

473 posts, read 693,976 times
Quote:
Oh please. Just because a fringe group proposes secession and the news reports it doesn't mean it will ever happen. Ask my friends in the upper peninsula of Michigan how that's working out..

Old 06-12-2013, 06:51 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,862,789 times
I would not make that move. The Cortez area has access to lots of beautiful parts of the country. Sterling has access to..., well Greeley is all that comes to mind.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:33 PM

davebarnes wrote: Well...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL! I'd forgotten all about that. Maybe Colorado just figures to let them go while still sending them state prisoners. We could save on the high cost of corrections, and Sterling would have a start-up group for its new militia!

Gunluvver2 wrote: Sterling and many other small communities are great places to live and raise a family or at least they used to be. Why would you want to expose your kids to the cesspools that many parts of the larger cities in Colorado have become? Quite frankly the BEST of Colorado is the far West and the Far East ends of the State. I wouldn't give you a nickel for the area fifty miles wide from the front range from Pueblo to Fort Collins.

I wouldn't call the Front Range a "cesspool," but on the other hand, been there, done that, and got a Manitou Springs t-shirt which I lost somewhere along the way in my travels. Trouble is, much of rural Colorado is facing some fairly severe economic problems thanks to the drought, etc. Personally, I think a move to Sterling is like going directly to jail and not even getting to collect your $200 bucks, thanks to state budget cuts and layoffs.

Mr. Rabbit wrote:

I would not recommend a move from Cortez to Sterling for an entry level job. I would look closer to home.

An issue with moving to Sterling...(or any smaller /remote town) = JOBS... what happens when you need another JOB and you don't have the skillset / employer choice to stay put. Then you move (again). Not a cheap option.

My feelings exactly, Mr. Rabbit! What's Sterling got other than the corrections facility and the drought? Right now, State of Colorado is cutting costs all over the place. DOC is no exception. I could see taking the job if it were 50 miles down the road, but like 500 miles? Better him than me, I guess. I hope I'm wrong, but I think my friend is making a big mistake.

jamesdenver wrote: Oh please. Just because a fringe group proposes secession and the news reports it doesn't mean it will ever happen. Ask my friends in the upper peninsula of Michigan how that's working out..

Or Texas, for that matter. Still, one can always dream...

cocaseco wrote:

I would not make that move. The Cortez area has access to lots of beautiful parts of the country. Sterling has access to..., well Greeley is all that comes to mind.

Took the words right off my keyboard! Work all day long in some understaffed prison for low pay and get off work to behold - sand hills and gravel pits? Meh, my friend is nuts. Hope he regains his sanity before it's too late.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:27 PM

10,066 posts, read 13,966,901 times
Sterling is a dust bowl with nothing going on. I drove through one time and it looked sad and depressed. I have been through Cortez and Cortez is better.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:09 AM

^

And that's saying something since the traveler on Highway 160 going through Cortez is first greeted by the town cemetary if coming in from the east or else a host of bill boards offering medical services to ailing ex uranium miners if coming into town from the southwest. There's been talk of pulling down those bill boards, but they DO hide the invasion of prairie dogs which have chomped down every last bit of vegetation all the way to the Utah line. The average tourist just passing through is not left with the best impression of my town, but at least folks are no longer met with the sign to Highway 666 leading to Utah. It's been renamed Highway 491. I must admit though that I sort of liked having Highway 666 going through here. It added a nice bizarre touch to the general wierdness.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 06-16-2013 at 01:20 AM..

Old 02-20-2014, 08:54 PM

14 posts, read 62,597 times
I BEG YOU, tell your friend NO! I posted both pros and cons in another thread here:

Move to Sterling, CO from Phoenix, AZ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or