U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 04:41 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,332,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Wonderful post, Colorado Rambler! You have me missing the Western Slope again. I worked for the Forest Service on the GMUG NF's when I lived in Grand Junction, and I definitely hear you regarding the Uncompaghre Plateau. I see that you and Jazzlover are actually in agreement too.

BTW, that flower is called a Sego Lily. Great pics!
Sego Lily - of course! Thank you! I knew that I knew what it was, but I couldn't think of the name. Don't tell anyone I majored in botany, OK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 03:32 PM

Thanks to everyone for your most kind and informative responses to this thread.

All this discussion of the Uncomphagre Plateau has made me a bit home sick for it, so I'm leaving to check it out tomorrow. Plus, someone needs to do a survey of the mountain lion population since they are now supposedly protected on the Uncomphagre. I'm plotting transects and gathering catnip in hopes of an encounter.

And night hawks. I want to see them again and watch them swoop and dive over the canyons.

May we all have wonderful adventures in the Colorado mountains this summer!

Pix to come.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:16 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,020,003 times
Wink Indeed, yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Aren't you glad you asked?

Actually, yes I am. And all the more in receiving your thorough account.

Certainly not all good news—and in this day and age perhaps what is?—nevertheless good to know the facts on the ground and relative health of the forests and all else.

You're entirely right on media: in watching Denver television one could be excused in thinking Colorado was principally composed of the Front Range and little else. I always found it bemusing to watch Albuquerque news in Durango.

But thus far this season most of the major wildfires have been along the Front Range, and one might hope it ends with that already transpired.

Will say, however, that there are some benefits to being off the common radar. I've recently been to several trailheads in and near RMNP, being the typical zoos this time of year. Your camping trip would have had to have been well out in the middle of nowhere (and beyond any road or trail) to have enjoyed as much serenity around here.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:08 PM

Idunn wrote: But thus far this season most of the major wildfires have been along the Front Range, and one might hope it ends with that already transpired.

See my post in the 2013 wild fires thread. We are becoming more "lost" with the passing of each year - or so it feels.

I'm going to go visit every single aspen on the Uncomphagre Plateau. I never know if this time will be the last I ever see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado