U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 03:06 PM

178 posts, read 488,137 times

Advertisements

This last winter in Montrose we did go a month where we had only one day with a high above 32 degrees. We also had several hard frosts in May. The weather in this part of the country can be extreme. Temperatures of -15 degrees in winter to over 100 degrees in summer. Also keep in mind that even though we have most of the shopping that you will need and the rest can be ordered online, you will still get an "itch" to see the big city now and then and Grand Junction really just seems like a big town. Another thing to consider is that air quality during the spring burn season from March to May can be poor while everybody is burning the weeds in their fields and around their irrigation ditches. There are also a number of people that burn their trash rather than pay to have it hauled away. As for Montrose having a drug problem I don't think it is worse than anywhere else and so far I haven't been affected by any crime.

All that being said, I really like it here and love the outdoors and recreational opportunities. I suspect renting or buying a house will be more affordable than Arvada but all you have to do is check the real estate web sites and the local papers to confirm that.

Keep in mind there are a couple alternatives to Montrose in the Grand Junction area. Fruita and Palisade and possibly the Redlands area offer a small town feel with good scenery and access to big town facilities nearby. There are a number of great trails that I know about that start from the Redlands and Fruita area and go into Colorado National Monument. Interstate 70 also runs through the area and provides quick access out of the hinterlands to places like Salt Lake City and Denver.

Last edited by GStone777; 06-17-2013 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: forgot to put city name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 05:37 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,330,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Montrose named All-America City during Civic League's Denver event

Montrose named All-America City during Civic League's Denver event - The Denver Post

"The Western Slope city is one of 10 to win the prestigious title during the league's meeting in Denver, which concluded with the awards ceremony Sunday night. The award recognizes civic achievement."

there is more
Cool.

Go Western Slope! You go, Montrose!

Old 06-18-2013, 05:34 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,777,680 times
Given a choice of the two, I would pick Montrose, but Montrose is not the nice town that it used to be. Though it is small by any metropolitan standard, like many "popular" towns in Colorado, it is getting a fair amount of big city problems with very few of the amenities. One of those issues is the fact that Montrose is no longer a very friendly community. Again, like so many Colorado towns, it is increasingly overrun with metropolitan transplants who bring their unfriendly metropolitan attitudes with them. So many metro people have "run away" to Colorado towns that they have effectively turned the social attitudes in those towns into exactly what those transplants professed to hate about the places that they left. For people like me, who remember small Colorado towns when they WERE NOT that way, it is really sad. I now live out of Colorado in a community that still has a true small-town feel and that has not been overrun by big-city transplants. The difference in friendliness and social attitudes is quite dramatic. The scenery may be great around places like Montrose, but the small town feel is rapidly being devoured.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Given a choice of the two, I would pick Montrose, but Montrose is not the nice town that it used to be. Though it is small by any metropolitan standard, like many "popular" towns in Colorado, it is getting a fair amount of big city problems with very few of the amenities. One of those issues is the fact that Montrose is no longer a very friendly community. Again, like so many Colorado towns, it is increasingly overrun with metropolitan transplants who bring their unfriendly metropolitan attitudes with them. So many metro people have "run away" to Colorado towns that they have effectively turned the social attitudes in those towns into exactly what those transplants professed to hate about the places that they left. For people like me, who remember small Colorado towns when they WERE NOT that way, it is really sad. I now live out of Colorado in a community that still has a true small-town feel and that has not been overrun by big-city transplants. The difference in friendliness and social attitudes is quite dramatic. The scenery may be great around places like Montrose, but the small town feel is rapidly being devoured.
A friend and I were talking about this very subject last night. We both grew up in Colorado during the 50's and 60's - he in Cortez and I in the Springs. Colorado has changed dramatically over the course of our lifetimes. Colorado Springs was a town of maybe 50,000, and it still had the vestiges of the artist's colony that it had been in the 30's and early 40's. The military presence was less pronounced than it is today. The town was conservative in the way all of Colorado was conservative - rural and the Cattlemen's Association was an entity to be reckoned with. I can remember how excited I was the times I rode the train (yes, there were still passenger trains) up to the big city of Denver - pop.500,000 at the time.

My friend's grandfather owned a ranch outside Cortez and he talked about helping him drive livestock along the DIRT road from Shiprock to Cortez. This was the road that became Highway 666. I always liked heading out on Route 666 - it gave one a certain feeling of adventure. Alas, the road is now Highway 491 - not nearly so intriguing!

The population explosion on the Front Range has made it unlivable. Getting into the mountains from Colorado Springs or Denver can take 2 hours or more. If Vail Pass gets closed for very long in the winter, the traffic gets backed up all the way to Golden.

For me the last straw was the mass influx of Evangelicals into the Springs. I've always felt people can believe or not believe whatever they want - no big deal. But now there is a group of people in the Springs who want me and everyone else to believe just like them. Complete strangers will interrupt conversations in a coffee shop to inform you that you're going to hell. When I lived in Manitou, I was told everyone in Manitou should be killed since only witches live there. It takes only a few loud mouthed zealots to change the atmosphere of a place and Colorado Springs now feels to me like an armed camp as far as religion is concerned. Who needs it?

So I returned to the Western Slope where I'd already lived in Durango for 10 years in the decade of the 80's. I guess I was one of those 'metro people who "run away" to Colorado towns.' . Except not really - I didn't want to run away, I just wanted to come home. My first thought was to return to Durango, but Durango has morphed itself into a suburb of Telluride or maybe Aspen. Cross off Durango along with the Springs. *sigh*

Next on my list was Montrose. And I must say that I find Montrose to STILL be a nice town with friendly people, although the population there has certainly grown. Compared to Colorado Springs, Montrose is a slice of heaven. I've been up to Montrose, checked it out, talked with a few locals. I seriously considered moving there and that's still a possibility at some point.

However, Cortez has begun to grow on me. It's still a small, rural Colorado town. Sure, there's some folks here from Cali and other places - mostly retirees - but Cortez doesn't have that crowded with newcomers feel and it's sure no Aspen. Most people here are die-hard Coloradoans - many grew up in Cortez and remain here, toughing it out through hard economic times brought on by drought and recession. The people of Cortez are a spunky lot and I admire that.

It's still possible to "walk in beauty" in the Lost Corners. And that means a lot.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:56 PM

178 posts, read 488,137 times
I used to live in Flagstaff and worked on the "Res" for a short while. Now I live in Montrose on the other side of the "lost corners." If one wants to gain understanding of the 4 corners area and maybe even the Southwest as a whole they should spend some time on the Hopi Res and Navajo Res in places like Kayenta, Pinon, Second Mesa, Kykotsmovi, Window Rock, Tuba City and Chinle. Go into the Bashas in Pinon or Kayenta and then go to the store on Second Mesa and first observe and then slowly begin to talk to people. Also spend time in some of the smaller towns of Colorado and again first observe the locals and then begin to talk to them. Techinically, I don't think Montrose is in the 4 corners area but to increase understanding of this region I would recommend the above to anybody moving here. Cultural influences and the way people think is going to be different even between the Front Range and the Western Slope and these things will affect whether you stay here permanently or move in a few years.

"It's still possible to "walk in beauty" in the Lost Corners. And that means a lot"--from Colorado Rambler.

Navajo Poem/Prayer

In Beauty May I Walk
All Day Long May I Walk
Through The Returning Seasons May I Walk

Beautifully Will I Possess Again
Beautifully Birds
Beautifully Joyful Birds
Beautifully Butterflies

On The Trail Marked With Pollen May I Walk
With Grasshoppers About My Feet May I Walk
With Dew Around My Feet May I Walk

With Beauty May I Walk
With Beauty Before Me May I Walk
With Beauty Behind Me May I Walk
With Beauty Above Me May I Walk
With Beauty Below Me May I Walk
With Beauty All Around Me,
May I Walk.

In Old Age Wandering On A Trail Of Beauty, Lively May I Walk
In Old Age Wandering On A Trail Of Beauty, Living Again May I Walk
It Is Finished In Beauty
It Is Finished In Beauty

Old 05-11-2014, 07:59 PM

28 posts, read 67,651 times
Colorado Rambler,
Thanks for the great info. re: Montrose. I too am looking to relocate there. I went to Durango back in 2006 and fell in love with Colorado. I need a little less snow so I looked into GJ area. Then I remembered when I first looked into CO I spoke to a realtor in Montrose. She really made Montrose sound great. She spoke of farmers markets and wineries. Is that really true ? I want to be near the mountains, don't care if I have to drive 30 min to get groceries, and am looking for a dog friendly place. My Westie and I are just about joined at the hip, lol. I thought if I could find a place in Montrose I would be able to visit Durango and GJ when I wanted but could still be in a less populated area. I was wondering if there were any places for 55+ and disabled that you might know about or maybe you or some of the other great info. givers on here might be able to get me started on how to find that out. Anyway, Thanks again for the info. I love this site !
Terri in NJ

Old 05-11-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crislsoul View Post
Colorado Rambler,
Thanks for the great info. re: Montrose. I too am looking to relocate there. I went to Durango back in 2006 and fell in love with Colorado. I need a little less snow so I looked into GJ area. Then I remembered when I first looked into CO I spoke to a realtor in Montrose. She really made Montrose sound great. She spoke of farmers markets and wineries. Is that really true ? I want to be near the mountains, don't care if I have to drive 30 min to get groceries, and am looking for a dog friendly place. My Westie and I are just about joined at the hip, lol. I thought if I could find a place in Montrose I would be able to visit Durango and GJ when I wanted but could still be in a less populated area. I was wondering if there were any places for 55+ and disabled that you might know about or maybe you or some of the other great info. givers on here might be able to get me started on how to find that out. Anyway, Thanks again for the info. I love this site !
Terri in NJ
There are plenty of farmer's markets and even wineries on the Western Slope. Cortez has both and Montrose has a farmer's market and if there's not a winery right in Montrose, there will be one or two within striking distance. Montrose is as dog friendly as anywhere else, but it's not like Telluride, for example, where everyone brings their dog and there's even a square of park given over to the vendors of all things dog, including homemade dog bisquits which my Corgi informs me are especially yummy.

You won't have a problem driving to Grand Junction. Highway 50 is now pretty much 4 lanes from Montrose to GJ, and you don't have to drive over any high mountain passes. Durango is another story, however. Highway 50 south from Montrose takes you to Ouray and from there it becomes a twisting mountain road that goes over several high passes. It's a very scenic route, but it can be a major pain in the winter or if you're not used to mountain driving. I'd estimate that it takes about twice as long to get to Durango from Montrose as it does to get to Grand Junction.

The Montrose County Housing Authority maintains some apartment units for low income seniors/disabled. There is also a very nice 55+ apartment unit just down the road in Olathe, also maintained by the Montrose HA. I would imagine there's a wait list for getting one of these units, but sometimes you can luck out and there will be an opening right away. Give the Housing Authority a call if you're interested. There are also a number of privately run apartment units in Montrose that cater to the 55 plus crowd. I'm sure a Montrose realtor would know what's available in that department.

Good luck with your move!
- Rambler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or