U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 06:12 AM

2,307 posts, read 5,869,618 times

Advertisements

We will be driving from Texas to Salt Lake City and I am staying overnight in Albuquerque and Grand Junction. I left myself time to see a little bit of Durango and Grand Junction. Are there any specific stops we should make while we are there? We will have a 3 and 7 year old, and 2 adults. I wish we could stay longer, but that will have to be another trip. I've been to Durango once as a child and fell in love with it. I'm hoping as we pass through its a place hubby will like to come back and visit again. Any spots to suggest to site see or things to do for a couple if hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 11:20 AM

And anything going on with wild fires in this area that I should be concerned about? We are heading up that way next weekend.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:31 PM

11,059 posts, read 12,411,987 times
While in Junction, if you have time, drive up to the Grand Mesa. It'll be 20 degrees cooler up there, and you can take your photos by the 10,000 foot sign on HWY 65, OR drive to the Colorado National Monument. Also in Junction go to Bananas. The kids will go crazy there.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:34 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,791,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
And anything going on with wild fires in this area that I should be concerned about? We are heading up that way next weekend.
Basically, conditions are ripe for wildfires to start almost anywhere in the southern half of Colorado and almost anywhere in the mountainous areas of New Mexico at any time. The foresters that I know call it the worst potential for fires in over a century. The way the Wolf Creek fire blew up yesterday was a very sobering spectacle.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:16 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,023,088 times
Wink And more than Durango

In Durango, you might visit the terminus of the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, if any interest in such things. I understand one has a better opportunity to browse in Chama, NM with the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad—but, well, you'll be in Durango.

This is located in central Durango, southern part of town. While there you might briefly check out the nearby General Palmer Hotel, for a taste of some authentic history still in operation. This and the train are related.

Something that is easy to do is a quick drive up the hill to visit Fort Lewis College. While you may have no interest in schooling, the road around the west end of campus at the edge of that plateau provides a good view out over Durango, such as at the chapel. Continue on a short bit to the north, and a marvelous view out over the Animus Valley and the San Juan Mountains as snow-capped backdrop. This you will remember.

Presumably from Durango you'll be continuing north on US 550 to Grand Junction. Do save enough time in seeing all the sights in Durango to have some for this gorgeous drive, being quite scenic all the way from Durango to Ouray. Aside from some possible photos here and there, you may be tempted to spend a little time in the historic old mining town of Silverton. And no one could fault you if in the moment feeling the need to be waylaid for some quality time in ever so picturesque Ouray.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
In Durango, you might visit the terminus of the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, if any interest in such things. I understand one has a better opportunity to browse in Chama, NM with the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad—but, well, you'll be in Durango.

This is located in central Durango, southern part of town. While there you might briefly check out the nearby General Palmer Hotel, for a taste of some authentic history still in operation. This and the train are related.

Something that is easy to do is a quick drive up the hill to visit Fort Lewis College. While you may have no interest in schooling, the road around the west end of campus at the edge of that plateau provides a good view out over Durango, such as at the chapel. Continue on a short bit to the north, and a marvelous view out over the Animus Valley and the San Juan Mountains as snow-capped backdrop. This you will remember.

Presumably from Durango you'll be continuing north on US 550 to Grand Junction. Do save enough time in seeing all the sights in Durango to have some for this gorgeous drive, being quite scenic all the way from Durango to Ouray. Aside from some possible photos here and there, you may be tempted to spend a little time in the historic old mining town of Silverton. And no one could fault you if in the moment feeling the need to be waylaid for some quality time in ever so picturesque Ouray.
I love Ouray and Silverton as well. Can't wait to see them again.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:33 PM

29 posts, read 39,529 times
Depending on your route and departure date, realize that hwy 160 is closed in a couple spots due to fires. I would approach Durango from the south. Even taking hwy 84 via Pagosa Springs would be a risk due to its proximity to the fire.

Durango's a nicer place to stay, personally.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillnjim View Post
Depending on your route and departure date, realize that hwy 160 is closed in a couple spots due to fires. I would approach Durango from the south. Even taking hwy 84 via Pagosa Springs would be a risk due to its proximity to the fire.

Durango's a nicer place to stay, personally.
We are coming from Texas and our first stop will be in Albuquerque. Durango is too close, and grand junction is a better distance for a days drive. Our final destination is Salt Lake City. Otherwise, I would probably stayin Durango. We already ,are reservations to stay in grand junction this time.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:19 PM

Where can I get up to date information about road closing gas and fires? We will be there next weekend.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:09 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,023,088 times
Wink Various wildfire sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Where can I get up to date information about road closing gas and fires? We will be there next weekend.

For general wildfire information The Denver Post is probably about as good as any. None that I've seen is entirely timely or accurate.

inciweb.org has specific wildfire information, but useless for road closure information. For that you might want to try CDOT. Although sources such as Fox31 Denver might work as well.

Unless there are new wildfires, you're proposed route should be fine. There are a number of wildfires in New Mexico, but as far as I know none impacting US 550 between Albuquerque and Durango. And none at the moment impacting US 550 north from there and ultimately to Grand Junction.

Although this is obviously a fluid situation, with severe wildfires presently in New Mexico, Colorado and Utah. Given the temperatures and condition of the forests anything could arise at any moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado