Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 06:12 PM

9 posts, read 29,034 times

Advertisements

I've read many of the posts from those who have or are contemplating moving to Colorado from Hawaii. We're in the "contemplating" boat. Make that "seriously" contemplating. My aunt lived in Hawaii for 37 years before relocating to CO and loves it, so naturally she is advocating for Colorado!

I've lived in Hawaii all my life, my husband has been here since he was 9. He has a good job but we basically live from hand to mouth. We live in an overpriced condo with ridiculous monthly HOA fees ($450!) and I homeschool our mildly autistic son. Despite a medical diagnosis of autism, the DOE insisted he carry a label of DD and refused to evaluate him to change the label. (They said they couldn't change the label without a DOE evaluation and he didn't "appear" to be autistic so they refused to evaluate him). This went on for 5 years until we finally got smart and threatened action. He receives some SpEd services twice a week at school, but not academics. I read a post to a homeschooling mom that homeschooling is not necessary in Colorado because the school system is top notch.

We are currently thinking of moving to or near Aurora. I do know Cherry Creek has a reputation for good schools, however, I've seen some comments about it being "snobby". We are not rich by any means, just looking for a nice place to live and a good educational system for our son. The cost of living in Hawaii has just about done us in. I'd really like to hear from others who live in the Aurora (or ANY part of Colorado) area regarding schools, particularly if you have an autistic child. We are also looking for a Kempo-Karate school and I understand there is one in Aurora!

Any advice (pro/con) you'd care to share would be much appreciated. I haven't really heard one bad thing about moving to Colorado. Ok, well except for the fact that I've never seen snow - that worries me!

Also, does anyone know what the requirements are for bringing pets to the continental US from Hawaii?

Thanks and I hope to hear from LOTS of you!

Aloha,
Deb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 08:51 PM

423 posts, read 1,953,588 times
I would rethink Aurora especially with a family. It is probably the highest crime area in Colorado. Cherry Creek is expensive but does have a good school system. You may think about the Longmont area. A friend of mine has an autistic child and I believe that is where they send their child to. It is affordable living and a nice area. There are many karate schools around the area but I am not sure if any of them are the exact one you are looking for. I know of a good one in Loveland that just went non profit after the owner passed away. It is a very good school. Sorry but I do not know much about transporting your animals here. You also did not mention what kind of work you and your husband will be doing. Good Luck

Old 11-07-2007, 09:27 AM

11,815 posts, read 34,282,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emmerling View Post
I would rethink Aurora especially with a family. It is probably the highest crime area in Colorado.
Uh, care to back up that statement with some facts?

Old 11-07-2007, 10:50 AM

26,122 posts, read 48,737,202 times
We've had some VERY long threads on Aurora over the past 1.75 years, and the gist of them are that the northern/older parts of Aurora may be a bit sketchy in areas, but the new areas of southern Aurora are just excellent.

I recall reading that Aurura is actually a city, often seen as a suburb of Denver, but it is its own city, and a BIG one.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:13 PM

8 posts, read 31,645 times
I'm in the same contemplation boat. I've been in Hawaii for about 5 years and love it. What an amazing place, I just wish I could afford to raise my family the way I want to here, which basically boils down to owning a nice home in a good neighborhood with a yard, good schools, and with out an 1.5hr commute each way. Even with a good job this is not that realistic.

We've been talking about moving back to Colorado for a long time....but just the thought of it makes me sad. Sad to leave the weather, scenery, diversity, beach and the unique things that can only be found in Hawaii. Colorado is great, I lived there for a few years and loved it, and my wife grew up there, but it is a very plain jane place (compared to Hawaii). Get ready for beige homes, two ethnic groups, and chain restaurants (yes, I’m exaggerating). But for under 300k you can get a nice home, with a yard, and good schools. Not to mention the ability to play in the mountains. I’m torn.

As for Aurora, sure some parts are sketchy, but some are very nice. Aurora is a very big place with lots of options. But as with anything, leave you options open. The biggest question (I think) is, where is your job going to be. I am a bummed that my company (which I definitely want to stay with) is on the south end of the tech center. So the suburbs north of I-70 are out of the picture.
Also another thing to consider, related to cost of living, is that while Colorado might in general have a lower cost of living, you will have many different expenses. Winter clothes and formal clothes, heating and cooling cost (I have windows that I haven’t closed in years), shoes (ha!), gas (everything is much further away), and one of my biggest concerns is keeping up with the Jones’. There is a pressure to have the latest and greatest da kine in Denver that you just to get here in Hawaii.
So enough rambling for now, as you tell this post hits home for me. If your ready to move Colorado is a great choice….maybe I’ll see you there.
Mike

Should be easy to get your pet to the mainland....it is getting to Hawaii that is hard.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:22 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,373,837 times
The only way I would move to Aurora is if someone held a loaded and cocked .45 to my head and told me to do it or he'd pull the trigger. Even then I'd probably have to think about it . . .

About Aurora's only redeeming quality in my mind is the CU Med Center at the former Fitzimmons Army Hospital. That is one feather in a pretty much otherwise featherless cap. Aside from that, just another sprawled suburban mess with a voracious appetite for water that would be better used for just about anything else.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:25 PM

18,147 posts, read 25,683,148 times
And if you don't like the suburban sprawl you can live downtown-say, somewhere between 6th ave. to Montview, Syracuse ave. to Interstate 225. NOT!

Old 11-09-2007, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
And if you don't like the suburban sprawl you can live downtown-say, somewhere between 6th ave. to Montview, Syracuse ave. to Interstate 225. NOT!
I take it these are bad sections?

Old 11-09-2007, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
The only way I would move to Aurora is if someone held a loaded and cocked .45 to my head and told me to do it or he'd pull the trigger. Even then I'd probably have to think about it . . .

About Aurora's only redeeming quality in my mind is the CU Med Center at the former Fitzimmons Army Hospital. That is one feather in a pretty much otherwise featherless cap. Aside from that, just another sprawled suburban mess with a voracious appetite for water that would be better used for just about anything else.
Do you live in Colorado now? If so, do you mind me asking where? I guess you all can tell I am totally clueless about the good and bad places to live!

Old 11-09-2007, 03:48 AM

We'd be interested in an area reasonably close to Raytheon in Aurora. My husband is also interested in Colorado Springs - any feedback on that? His career is IT. A good SpEd system is important for our son. What is Longmont like, is that a low-crime area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado