U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2013, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Brighton - Grand Junction, CO CMU
78 posts, read 163,713 times
Reputation: 41

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoonik View Post
Least Favorite: Greeley. Stinks, isolated, has a constant culture war between conservative farmers and poor migrant workers, backwards conservative Weld county politics, very little support and cooperation between the University and the city council/residents, higher crime for a small city.
I completely agree with you. Most people from my high school went to UNC probably more than any other school since it's only ~35 miles away, i don't like Greeley so i never considered it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2013, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Brighton - Grand Junction, CO CMU
78 posts, read 163,713 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
The conservative element in Colorado Springs is part of what attracts me to the city.
That's what keeps me away from the city. I guess i'm more of the middle of the road because i'm pro guns and death penalty but i'm also pro gay marriage and pro choice. i'm also Atheist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Brighton - Grand Junction, CO CMU
78 posts, read 163,713 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I would not mind visiting San Antonio simply because their Riverwalk was the inspiration for ours. One thing to keep in mind about Pueblo's is its not even half done. The master plan has it going under the interstate past the baseball statidum to the lake. No other downtown in Colorado has anything like that making Pueblo's unique and should help the city grow. Also next year will see construction start from the grant we got from the state that will add on to the convention center and build a arena. This will be a nice addition and help Pueblo attract more visitors.

CSU Pueblo is a tier 2 university thus not intended to compete directly with CSU Fort Colllons or CU Boulder. It for students who want to attend college but either can't afford or get into those schools. It, also, takes advantage of the southwest style of Pueblo. I have talked to the professors there and the long range goal of the university is to have 15,000 to 20,000 students with research and a dominate football program in D2. In fact Pueblo gets behind the university a lot and that is why they even got back football as most everything was paid for by donations. Not many schools can claim that kind of support, even in D1. So everything considered I think CSU Pueblo is going to fit a much needed nitch in the state.
I would definitely recommend San Antonio to visit. We ate at this restaurant on the river walk called Dick's (they're basically payed to be mean to you but in a funny way) and our waitress was from Pueblo. Pueblo does attract people from very long distances in Southern CO but mainly just for the shopping. like if i'm at my dads in Trinidad and i want to go to Best Buy or almost any big store, i have to drive the 80 miles to Pueblo.

When i was choosing where i wanted to go, it was between CSU CU CSU-P Adams State and Colorado Mesa. CSU went right away because I like CU more. CSU-P went next because I don't really like Pueblo and i just get a weird vibe from the place (even though that's where my dad wanted me to go since he lives 80 miles away). Adams State went because it was way too small, and finally CU went because tuition is a lot more and parking is ridiculous. At my orientation at CMU, they said it was the fastest growing school in CO for the last ~5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 09:02 PM
 
49 posts, read 162,637 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Living in Fort Collins for the last several years, and being a Colorado native that has lived in several locations throughout the state, I agree with you. TO add to what you say about Fort Collins, the job market is terrible. You have $100K a year IT type jobs, commission only jobs, and $20K a year jobs with very little in between, not a great recipe for a middle class in the area. Making fort Collins a very have and have not town.

My favorite city in Colorado is actually Arvada especially the west end of town, they have a nice old town area, they are close to the mountains so you can be up in the hills quickly, they are in the metro area so jobs are easier to find, and you are 15-20 minutes away from downtown Denver and all that it offers.
I completely agree with you on this! Been trying to move to Fort Collins now for a while, trying to get a simple transfer with the same company that my husband works for is in FoCo. Finally, got an offer and the pay scale for the region is 15-17% less, and it is the same company! With the housing in addition more expensive we had to turn the offer down. We are pretty sad about this but will have to look closer to Denver, we loved Fort Collins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2013, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,227 posts, read 24,316,643 times
Reputation: 12943
Least favorite: Greenwood Village
Favorite: Black Hawk
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2013, 05:25 AM
 
Location: 80904 West siiiiiide!
2,943 posts, read 7,302,240 times
Reputation: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado 303 View Post
and if you don't mind, say where you're from. I think that the Denver metro can count as one place.
I would have to say that Brighton/the Denver metro is my favorite since i'm from Brighton. For my least favorite, I would have to say Trinidad because it's just a nasty ghetto little town followed close by Pueblo and Colorado Springs. Pueblo because it's kind of ghetto and Springs because of the conservative lean to it.
Denver, hands down. If it weren't for the broncos or the airport, I wouldn't ever step foot in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2013, 05:26 AM
 
Location: 80904 West siiiiiide!
2,943 posts, read 7,302,240 times
Reputation: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado 303 View Post
That's what keeps me away from the city. I guess i'm more of the middle of the road because i'm pro guns and death penalty but i'm also pro gay marriage and pro choice. i'm also Atheist
I'm like you, but I'd sure as hell want to live in a conservative city over a liberal one. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2013, 05:33 AM
 
16,438 posts, read 19,083,018 times
Reputation: 9513
Boulder because it's too left for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2013, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
Reputation: 4258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado 303 View Post
I would definitely recommend San Antonio to visit. We ate at this restaurant on the river walk called Dick's (they're basically payed to be mean to you but in a funny way) and our waitress was from Pueblo. Pueblo does attract people from very long distances in Southern CO but mainly just for the shopping. like if i'm at my dads in Trinidad and i want to go to Best Buy or almost any big store, i have to drive the 80 miles to Pueblo.
Some day I will visit San Antonio.

You would be surprised how much southern Colorado runs to Pueblo for. I'm involved in politics and I see it all the time. When something happens its Pueblo that steps up for them not Colorado Springs or Denver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado 303 View Post
I

When i was choosing where i wanted to go, it was between CSU CU CSU-P Adams State and Colorado Mesa. CSU went right away because I like CU more. CSU-P went next because I don't really like Pueblo and i just get a weird vibe from the place (even though that's where my dad wanted me to go since he lives 80 miles away). Adams State went because it was way too small, and finally CU went because tuition is a lot more and parking is ridiculous. At my orientation at CMU, they said it was the fastest growing school in CO for the last ~5 years.
From what I have read the 3 growth schools in the state are:

CSU- Pueblo
UCCS
Colorado Mesa University

Not sure if your a football fan but as I'm sure you know college football is big. Of the 3 schools the only school trying to get a dominant football program is CSU Pueblo. I have a thread about it in the college football sub forum. They are only 6 years old and already a common fixture in the top 10 national poll for D2 and have a good chance of wining a national title in the next few years. That will not only raise the status of the university but the city of Pueblo.

Here is a link to the thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...back-pack.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2013, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
Reputation: 4258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
I'm like you, but I'd sure as hell want to live in a conservative city over a liberal one. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
I can do conservative just not far right. That is one of the reasons Colorado Springs is my least favorite city as they are far right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top