U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,217 times

Advertisements

We currently live in a suburb of Austin Texas. It is my husband, myself and our two girls 3 & 1. We are originally from Ohio and have been living here for 7 years. Its time for a change, we can't stand the convection oven that this place has become. We love the city but it's time again for snowy winters! We are liberal atheists looking to settle down and raise our family so this will be permanent. We are very much outdoorsy kind of people, we like exposing the kids to anything and everything a well rounded city has to offer. School systems aren't a big deal since we will be homeschooling but crime is a definite factor since our rate is currently so low. We were looking at Denver, Boulder and also Raleigh NC and Nashville TN.
Anyone with any thoughts or advice on this?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 04:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,411 posts, read 39,775,898 times
You don't mention jobs / access to airports / healthcare / High Speed internet ... concerns

Consider adding Oregon (Sales Tax Free) and WA (income tax free) to your list. (snow + liberal + culture + recreation + LEFT cost!) White Salmon, WA would let you have tax free income and Hood River, OR is 10 minutes away with tax free shopping. Portland is 45 minutes away. recreation out the door, or Mt Hood for yr round skiiing is within 1/2 hr. Cross Country skiiing is available on Mt Hood or Mt Adams. Oregon Coast is 1.7 hrs. OR and WA has a very high population of homeshoolers and atheists.

Of your choices, I would select Boulder (or nearby), as your NC and TN towns are very short on snow. Boone or Asheville would be a better choice in NC.

Actually Ft Collins is also a reasonable choice, as is Colorado Springs (tho you might not realize success in your local vote).. As a CO transplant to WA, I have not been on the winning side of an election for 30yrs. BUT my views, and community service and relationships are accepted and honored without distain. Oregon is considerably more polarized and insistant on uniform 'group think'. I am a border dweller, so in both states everyday.

I'm happy with WA (excluding my property taxes, which are a unique problem to my property). WA worked very well for homeschooling, as my kids were able to attend college (for free) instead of doing High School). http://www.k12.wa.us/SecondaryEducat...ningStart.aspx
2 yrs of free college helped their costs, since they paid their own way. As homeschoolers, They designed and built their own houses age 14 - 15, and had been managing their ROTH IRA's since age 12, so they had plenty of dough for school, but chose public U and ended up with <$14k debt. (which they consolidated for 20 yrs @2.7% and very successfully invested the principle in equities AAPL, NFLX).

To do it all over again... I would venture more to international living destinations with homeschool kids. We lived in Spain, Singapore, and Canada... but were not there as long as necessary to aquire full language and culture benefits.

YOU can provide a lot of learning opportunities for your family by being VERY engaged in community and accepting of ALL others. (I.e. go live in Thailand, India, Israel, or Iran as an atheist... you will do a great service to your kids).

BTW, I have a home near Austin too... It is nice to have a place to dry out and GET RIGHT after months of Gray, in PNW Consider keeping your place there too!

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-27-2013 at 04:33 PM..

Old 06-29-2013, 09:34 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,940,032 times
You suggest adding Oregon and Washington to the list because they have not tax in certain categories, but they stated they were liberal and thus more likely to approve of taxes

The weather in Oregon and Washington (weather was a pretty big deal to me) is completely different from the other cities suggested. The OP has selected some good cities. Raleigh has had some pretty explosive growth from what I hear. I'd like to visit there sometime and see it.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,411 posts, read 39,775,898 times
the OP wants Snowy Winters..(or at least access to snow)., bit tough to find given the choices.

Of the choices, only TN and TX are considered tax havens for income earning yrs.

I got a HUGE raise when I left Colorado and went to work in WA. That was important THEN (earning yrs, as is OP).

CO does have relatively fair taxation, but not for long. (Battleground state = change is certain). IN PNW, you can somewhat project the areas of future Taxation, and plan accordingly. Border dwelling is one way to win, as I don't think OP is ready for AK (the least taxed).

Having a place near Austin myself, and kids in Seattle and Portland... I would say OP has a potential place to fit there.

YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or